Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a whopping 17 unique models for these guys, either the GW modelling branch is refusing to make anything else or GW really wants people to buy/use these.
So I think this encourages the question, are LotD worth it? There fluff is cool and the new models awesome but I can't justify them in a list. At ten points more than a sternguard you gain the invulnerable and a serg with better WS.Seems like the elites could do so much better. However the relentless could really help.

As to outfitting them, i see the potential for lots of different roles with the DS really helping.
a) charge something and hold it up for the game (hmm?)
b) infantry hunters, (fllamer and heavy flamer)
c) tank hunters, meltagun and multi-melta
d) many others (including support fire (relentless lascannon and plasmagun)

So how would you run LotD? What would you give them and how would you play them for the best results? Finally, do you think they could be used in a competitive list or are our other choices just so much better?

p.s. I don't expect people do but just in case please don't use this thread for complaining about how GW should make some models people NEED instead of want. A joke is okay, a rant not so.

Thanks

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Fluff: awesome.
Models: awesome.
Special rules: awesome.
Cost: ridiculous.

The Legion of the Damned are a totally overpriced unit. Fearlessness is not very much an advantage for Space Marines. Deep-striking is cool, being relentless even more so. Adding in the 3+ invulnerable makes that seem all the more appealing. But frankly for their cost they are just useless. They do not specialize in anything. They aren't a dedicated close combat unit, they aren't a dedicated tank hunting unit, they aren't a dedicated infantry hunting unit, they even die to normal guns just as quickly as tactical marines, and they can't take objectives. I don't see them fitting in with competitive armies because there is always a unit that can do a better job at any task for fewer points. If the Legion of the Damned were a decent all-round unit such as Sternguard that wouldn't matter, but they aren't.

If I used them, then only for fun. They would definitely get a power fist. I would add in a plasma gun (because relentless plasma guns are pretty awesome) and some heavy weapon, maybe a multi-melta for some tank hunting and since range is hardly an issue for a deep-striking unit. Probably throw them into combat with power weapon wielding units, such as banshees. Since they can rapid-fire their bolters and then assault they will cut them down pretty quickly. Then use them to contest enemy-held objectives, or so.

[For comparison: my bikes are cheaper. They have more upgrade weapons. They are relentless as well. They can claim a 3+ invulnerable against shooting attacks as well. They don't have veteran number of attacks and no invulnerable save in close combat, but they move much faster and can claim objectives. Now ask yourself why I might come to think that Legion of the Damned are over-priced...]

·
Cousin It
1,385 Posts
I'm inclined to agree...i tired to fit them into my lists for quite a while, and quite simply failed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to try and use them effectively over and over again until i find a proper use for them...but to answer simply, no they are not worth the points, i just love them

maybe if you play against a full khornate daemon list? Invulnerable saves would be worth it then...

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
So I think this encourages the question, are LotD worth it? There fluff is cool and the new models awesome but I can't justify them in a list. At ten points more than a sternguard you gain the invulnerable and a serg with better WS.Seems like the elites could do so much better. However the relentless could really help.
Their 5 points more than sternguard. But indeed, they are overall not worth their cost. I still play with them as a fun unit once and awhile, usually as a means of popping heavy duty transports(melta/multimelta) or to support a firebase thats inevitably gonna get hit with CC troops. In such cases they can be invaluable in hold tough CC units/monsters in place.

I would add in a plasma gun (because relentless plasma guns are pretty awesome)
I was always adverse to Plasmaguns in LotD units. LotD are no less susceptible to overheats than regular marines, and are twice the cost.

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
I was always adverse to Plasmaguns in LotD units. LotD are no less susceptible to overheats than regular marines, and are twice the cost.
True. But what use is the model without? Not much.
You can apply the same argument the other way around: if I want to flame something or shoot it with a melta gun, a tactical marine is no less capable of that, and is half the cost. The plasma gun, however, doesn't have a 30" effective range on a tactical marine. And it is a very potent weapon that easily kills heavy infantry, monstrous creatures, light vehicles. Just awesome. People fear plasma for frying their own models, and yes: it happens. But the output of plasma guns is amazing, and what is the cost of risking to lose one model compared to the gain of getting off some plasma gun shots?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its called grabing a good cover save mabye on an open field but your still dropping tons of points for an average model even a 3+ invunerable can fail often. I tried and used some repersentation models and they failed.

·
2,399 Posts
In my opinion they're ok if you want accurate deep striking multiple heavy flamer / multi melta wielding squads (you can shoot your multi melta even after deep striking) However, i won't use them as I prefer whirlwinds for anti cover infantry removal, and a ironclad with twin heavy flamer in drop pod says "love youuuu" so much better.
And they are hideously overpriced (£ 8 for a single flamer? I WILL make it from scratch for that cost!), and i honestly don't like some of the models (like the flamer, again, that burning thingy on the backpack = ruin of a good model. besides, metal chips easier and have a tendancy to stray around my carry case scratching things. Not for me.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Awesome models which I am going to paint to enjoy the "hobby side" of them, perhaps will play them for fun, but never in a competitive list. I think that GW really did not make them worthwhile for their price. Fluff is great, and talks about the destructive power of their bolters - they should get the special ammo that the Sternguard have, or another version with perhaps just one ammo type or something. OVerall - epic fail. I am going to model my Sternguard as a Deathwatch squad (already built spooky looking models) and will enjoy those whenever I feel like I want some rock-hard Marines on the table. But then, GW did get some $$$ from me, again, for models that i will not use, so in that sense they succeeded.

·
2,399 Posts
GW did get some $$$ from me, again, for models that i will not use, so in that sense they succeeded.
Me too mate, me too. I believe there's a list that's too big to post here for all the stuff over the years. (My Macharius varients spring to mind, or my comissars with poer fist, or maybe ogryns, or my entire WFB orc army.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
The only reason to buy a LotD model is if you want to proxy it as something else.

They need to be five points cheaper. Failing that, they need some devastating firepower which they don't have. You compare them to, say, Thousand Sons, which have SNP, Fearless, a 4+ invulnerable and AP3 boltguns...for seven points less. And their squad leaders get force weapons.

For Christ's sake, they still pay full price for missile launchers which tactical squads get for free. There is no way GW could have expected people to actually field these guys.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
They need to be five points cheaper. Failing that, they need some devastating firepower which they don't have.

For Christ's sake, they still pay full price for missile launchers which tactical squads get for free. There is no way GW could have expected people to actually field these guys.
Especially galling after their fluff page specifically mentions a line about their bolters spitting flaming projectiles that make a mockery of armour, or something to that extent... You're thinking they'll be awesome, running around with their... Plain old Bolters. WTF, GW?!? If you're plain out of ideas, you could at least give them Sternguard ammo with some wording changes to get the spooky feel!!

Paying for Missile launchers and such does make a certain amount of sense when they can fire them on the move, though.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
You know the funny thing is in their fluff entry in C:SM it hints at them having rending/high AP bolters, but there's nothing in the rules about it. I've often wondered if they had originally intended them to have a special shooting rule like that and priced them accordingly, then taken that shooting rule away and forgotten to drop the cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts