Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello chaps,

Even though I'm going to focus on infantry for my guard army, and want to do something different to all the mechanised melta veterans kicking around these days, I've decided that some armoured support would be a nice change.

I'm not a power gamer and enjoy having unusual units, but I like to remain vaguely competitive. To this end I'm considering getting a pair of Leman Russ Exterminators. I love the idea of each one acting like a mobile pillbox spitting out dozens of high calibre shots every second, and it would fit with my army theme. I prefer to get what I think is cool and enjoy playing, and if I win it'll be due to totally leetsauce tactics rather than a mathhammer'd list.

So essentially, what are your thoughts on this entry? Basic LRBTs seem way more effective for the same points, is there something I'm missing? It seems like it would be an uber-Hydra, sitting back and chopping through transports, but is it worth paying twice as much for the AV14? One of the biggest questions for me is sponson choice- many people using ordnance-equipped tanks seem to leave them off, but for the Exterminator wouldn't moar dakka = moar winz with three heavy bolters?

If you were crazy like me and insisted on taking them, how would you use them?

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you want autocannons, get Hydras. 2 Hydras are way better than 1 Exterminator. A lot more firepower and arguably equal or better durability because there are 2 of them.

LRBT is always a solid choice, but honestly, I just look at the advantages that the Demolisher has over it at the expense of just a shorter range, and I ask myself, "Why take the LRBT when I can pay 15 more points and get this?"

If you do take an Exterminator, put a hull lascannon on it and add Pask. You are mobile and armed with 4 twinked-linked STR8 shots and 1 STR10 shot, both at 48 inches and BS4. This weapon loadout coupled with Pask can threaten any vehicle in the game and can easily put out damage on MCs and heavy infantry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like your idea in fact I almost use it: Vs horde armies anyhow.
I field Pask in a Punisher with 3 bolters & a Stubber and 1-2 Exterminators with 3 bolters & a stubber each, seems to work.
The reason I use this is I just like rolling LOTS of dice (20WS4 + 9WS4 +3WS4) + min of (4WS3 twin linked +9WS3 +3WS3) = 48 dice almost as many as my platoons under normal long range circumstances.
It works and with the addition of Spearhead rules (WD366) and potential for the unit to gain either infiltrate + stealth or a 5+invulnerable save for a few more points I say go for it. Hydra are great as well if your scratch build skills are up to it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys.

Well Slobulous I was going to mention Hydras, I've liked them for years and think they're cool, but several factors made me think of Exterminators instead. Even though they cost half as much, I was thinking that in a sense it's an advantage because I have to get less vehicles together to fill out the points of my army- kinda silly but it's something I think about. Also, because I'm not going to be running much armour, I thought that the tanks I did have should be as survivable as possible, and in this regard AV 14 is a significant boost on AV 12.

Most importantly though, I can see no practical way of getting many Hydras. I'm unwilling to fork out for Forge World models, and though I'm not a bad converter I've yet to think of a way to make Hydras that I find acceptable, I don't like the look of the Aegis defence guns.

Pask is a pretty badass upgrade but my original intention was to keep them cheap and relatively simple. With three heavy bolters like Kevin Allen has them, wouldn't it still be able to mess up transports walkers and skimmers, and also be more useful against Tyranids Orks and Eldar too?

Further advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Exterminators shouldn't be overlooked for three reasons - survivability, upgrades and the support slots.

When compared to a pair of Hydras the Hydras have the edge in firepower and the Exterminator has the edge in survivability. In optimal conditions the Hydras have 2x the shots but a lot can happen to reduce that edge. Most significantly the Exterminator can be moved and still fire 4 shots so you can manoeuver to screen out enemy AT. Hydras doing the same would halve their firepower making them no better than an Exterminator.

The other major boost is that once you have a hull weapon and can take sponsons. That offsets the firepower disadvantage. A few cheap upgrades evens out the shotfall very fast and makes the tank even more flexible.

The final issue is slots. Most of the time the Hydras would have to be paired up in a squadron. If you are going after light skimmers or transports you are unlikely to need all 8 shots. 4 twin linked autocannon shots can normally nail a rhino or other light vehicle. If the Hydras are together then in that scenario the extra firepower is wasted anyway so it's a bit of a false economy.

If you do want a Hydra then you can buy autocannons from HWeapon sprues pretty cheaply off ebay etc. Strapping 4 of them to a Russ turret would probably look pretty nice.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_2cm-70_mk234_quad_pic.jpg
Something like this would be very simple to build from plasticard. It's little more than a box plus the autocannon bits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Korona, they are really good points, I didn't think about the fact that the Exterminator has an Exterminator autocannon (Heavy 4 Twin-Linked) and the Hydras have two twin-linked long barreled autocannons (Heavy 2 Twin-Linked) clearly the Exterminator has the advantage there in terms of moving and shooting.

Any ideas on what would be the best sponson setup? Keeping them cheap and sticking with heavy bolters is my current plan.

Rep for you all by the way!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
:)
Yeah I am really tempted to take one in place of my standard Russ, autocannons are pretty reliable.
Personally I wouldn't get any sponsons unless you don't have anything to take on AV14 - in which case you might do well with some multi meltas. The best option to my mind would be a hull lascannon or hull heavy flamer. The lascannon goes well with the autocannons and it also gives you a chance to punk T4 HQ units with instant death :D. The HHF would let you screen your infantry and give some defence against swarms but with all the lasgun shots from your troops you shoudln't need to go overboard on anti inf. HBolters seem like overkill - maybe just spend the points on some autocannon or lascannon teams for your inf squads?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've used exterminators a few times, and the results were pretty much what you'd expect to be totally honest. I don't really know how else to describe it. They didn't wow me, but they didn't fall short for me, either.

Now, if you want firepower, run some in an Archeotech spearhead formation with Pask, and sit still. 4 S9 twin linked shots at BS4...scary.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Now, if you want firepower, run some in an Archeotech spearhead formation with Pask, and sit still. 4 S9 twin linked shots at BS4...scary.
I have no idea what your on about... but 2 vendettas pump out 6 twin linked str 9 shots a turn and when twin linked there isn't a huge difference between BS3 and 4

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I was quoting you, and saying its not all that scary, we can already take something better for a lower points cost... it has as much of a point as the second paragraph in your post.

·
Registered
168 Posts
lol!
It´s always the same.
"Hey, I´d like to have your thoughts about this non vendetta unit XY becuase I don´t want to field a vendetta."
"Take a vendetta!"
Chimelta vets have this effect, too;)

The Exterminator´s big advantage (as said above) is the Leman Russ chassis. It comes along with durability and mobility. I like it.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I've got a home-made Extermiantor I built from a pair of spare autocannons, but I've got the new kit on order, so it looks like I'm retiring my retrofit. :)

Really, it's going to be fun trying the new Russes out with the new kit out and all that. I suspect we'll see more Vanquishers, exterminators, etc..., with the new kit around. More russ is always a good thing. :soldier:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
It´s always the same.
"Hey, I´d like to have your thoughts about this non vendetta unit XY becuase I don´t want to field a vendetta."
"Take a vendetta!"
He didn't say he didn't want to use vendettas, and why wouldn't you?

And I'm sorry you feel that way, Son.
About what? :p
I've had a look at the spearhead data sheet, and I understand what you are talking about now.
(still, vendettas are better :p)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I really like Exterminators. I was never really their supporter but after using them they're a pretty handy tank to have in a Mech list. They provide a solid tank with a decent ranged gun that can shred ligh transports like Rhino's, trucks and can cause some pain to AV12 as well.

I take mine with a Lascannon and Pask. 4 str 8 Twin linked shots at Bs4 and a str10 Lascannon is nothing to sniff at. It is 225pts though so it's expensive but still a good buy. It's not amazing but it's durable and dependable which is how I like my vehicles.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Exterminators fill an important role in my heavy-armor regiment: finishing off enemy units. Once an enemy squad is reduced by templates to 1 or 2 models, our big guns aren't effective anymore. Any scatter will probably leave them untouched and who wants to use a demolisher cannon just to kill one single Marine? (Especially if you squadron or are prone to rolling 1's to wound!) In the early game, the Exterminator is great at stopping transports; in the late game, it's great at forcing lone survivors to take a final half-dozen wounds. It's a very useful complement to our large blast-throwers, even without Pask.

And don't let the Hydra crowd give you grief! Sure, the Hydra gives more guns per point than the Exterminator but they get shaken more often than James Bond's martinis. How many armies these days have trouble cracking a Chimera-equivalent? My Russes, now, they don't even care if you have autocannons.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I really like Exterminators. I was never really their supporter but after using them they're a pretty handy tank to have in a Mech list. They provide a solid tank with a decent ranged gun that can shred ligh transports like Rhino's, trucks and can cause some pain to AV12 as well.

I take mine with a Lascannon and Pask. 4 str 8 Twin linked shots at Bs4 and a str10 Lascannon is nothing to sniff at. It is 225pts though so it's expensive but still a good buy. It's not amazing but it's durable and dependable which is how I like my vehicles.
Basically my thoughts exactly. If someone costs a lot, it's gotta perform. Pask in this (and a Vanquisher, for that matter), really shine as great vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to love them. I saw that Heavy bolters arent defensive weapons now, So if i take an exterminator with HB sponsoons and hull HB can only move and shoot 1 HB and the turret right? I guess the balance is the EXautocannon has more dice now. 11 dice at 3 feet moving was great. I guess its 13 standing still now. Intrepids right. if you take pie plates, you force everyone to scatter, and eventually you need to pour fire power on incoherent or small units and make them make saves. the only trouble is any result on them silences all the guns. the point cost has me worried now. they are great for monsterous creatures too. Pump lead at range.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts