Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I played my usual Friday night tournament-style game and against the wishes of everyone around, I rolled three Russes (just straight-up battle cannons, hull lascannons and heavy bolter sponsons) in a squad just to see what the downside was. The answer was THERE WASN'T ONE! In addition, I also had three Basilisks in an ordnance battery chilling on the edge of my original deployment zone. One bad scatter from one of these bad boys was the only thing that even came close to harming the Russ squad. They charged toward the Traitor IG with panache and style, and dispensed some punishment fit only for ungrateful and selfish subjects of the Emperor. They destroyed every enemy vehicle, and anything that wasn't powered by heretic zeal and it's own two feet. During the last turn, with the traitor IG army in shambles, offering only small pockets of resistance, these brave three Russes parked deep in the enemy deployment zone.

Now I wil admit (only because I feel like it) that I was very lucky, my dice were on thier game tonight. But I want it to be noted that it CAN be done, and it probably SHOULD. So stop being unfair to the Leamn Russ Squadron, LO. Tanks need love too.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I'm pretty sure the guy I ruined a few weeks ago by shooting multiple Lascannons into the back armor of his squadded Russes and Basilisks would have a cautionary tale for you. Just because something worked once, doesn't mean it will forever and doesn't make it grand.

Hey let me go test an all Penal Legion army, it's bound to work once!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i agree with everyone else. plus just because you beat someone it doesn't mean you list is good. it just means that he can beat the opponent and list of that level of skill. the skill of an opponent varies so it can be hard to justify if you list is good or not. which is this case really isn't, you just won because your opponent sounded like he had a lack of anti-tank weapons.
thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, yes, let me feel the hate.

I wasn't saying the list was good. I was just patting those tank commanders on the back for a job well done, and wanted to share it with ya'll.

You can take me down off of the cross now.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
You put yourself up there, get down on your own. ;]

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, OK, let's all just calm down...lets all be nice...I can run a Leman Russ squad and you can't, and that's OK...we are all Guardsmen, are we not?

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
If you post something stupid, be prepared to get called on it ;)

Squadroning isn't automatically terrible, but you have to swallow a whole bunch of disadvantages just to squeeze one more tank in.

I'd squadron Hydras or Griffons since they're cheap and don't worry much about overkill, DDs too because of scatter, but pretty much everything else works best solo.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wasn't saying the list was good. I was just patting those tank commanders on the back for a job well done, and wanted to share it with ya'll.
You built the cross, climbed up on it, paid someone to nail you on, and then pogo-sticked the thing over to the hole it's standing in so we could all look up at you. So of course we're going to laugh!

Let's count the dubious assertions in your first post:

1) There is no downside to squadroned Russes.
2) It "CAN" and "SHOULD" be done.
3) We, the greater LO-IG community are being "unfair" to Leman Russ Squadrons.

To which I say:

1) Nope
2) Depends
3) Nope

Followed by laughter and much mocking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
also as long as you continue with the

lets all be nice...I can run a Leman Russ squad and you can't, and that's OK
stuff you deserve all you recieve.

making yourself out to be better than the rest of the community, after backing squadrons, as horrific as those are for tanks, is laughable.

over saturation of fire and fragility are just 2 big downsides of tanks being in squadrons.

·
Returning Lawman!
1,712 Posts
Okay guys, clam it down a bit. Don't want anyone to start a flame war here.

~Lawman.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutely. For my part, I will apologize for any toes that may have stepped on...I just got caught up in the spirit of victory after last night's game. I walked home from the store last night with my bright yellow toolbox giddy as all get out and got a little carried away.

No harm, no foul.....right?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just got caught up in the spirit of victory after last night's game. I walked home from the store last night with my bright yellow toolbox giddy as all get out and got a little carried away.

No harm, no foul.....right?

A word of friendly advice, always wait until after you calm down, wether from excitement or anger, before doing something. Your judgement will always improve with time and reflection. :)

Take care and happy gaming,
Andrew

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey everyone, just so you know...up there...like four posts ago, that was called an apology. And what's more, I meant it. So, thanks for the advice, but I get the picture. Everyone just calm down.
----------
Funny how you quoted EVERYTHING I posted except that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey everyone, just so you know...up there...like four posts ago, that was called an apology. And what's more, I meant it. So, thanks for the advice, but I get the picture. Everyone just calm down.
----------
Funny how you quoted EVERYTHING I posted except that.
Apologies, didn't mean to bother.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Back to the topic at hand, three immobilized results in one turn will be the end of the squadron and over 600+ pts of your army. By making vehicles into a squadron, you're basically increasing your chance of losing a tank from a successful hit from ~33% to 50% while there is more than one of them in the squad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.