Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my IG army through proxying, and I need some firepower to take down some heavier units. I was wondering if it was better to go with the light infantry doctrine and one sniper per infantry squad or just get a ratling squad. Honestly I hate the way they look, and they usually just get targeted and destroyed when I proxy them, but you can't ignore that BS 4. Any help on this would be great.

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
This comes up a fair bit on the Imperial Guard forum so you could probably search for some longer discussions. General consensus though is that Ratlings are much better deal than special weapon squad snipers or light infantry. They're cheaper, better at shooting and most people just use the Imperial Guard sniper models instead of the hobbits with rifles. Hope this helps?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Also never underestimate the value of lots of dice.

I always take at least 9 ratlings in 5th edition. (Fifth edition saved 40k IMHO)

Especially now with ratlings, they are fairly cheap for what you get.

1) don't forget the much improved cover saves. You should always be getting around a 3+ save with the ratlings.

2) RENDING! I'll repeat RENDING! In fourth snipers were just so-so but now RENDING! sure rending only happens on a six to wound but the math isn't bad.

All numbers generated with SuperArmy Tester Excel Spreadsheet which I believe presents wounds not saved not merely wounds taken before saves

1 unit of elites= 9 Snipers @ BS 4 99 points =
3.5 GEQ Wounds
2.5 MEQ Wounds
1.5 TEQ Wounds
2.0 T7 2+ Carnifex Wounds

1 unit of HQ AT= 3 Lascannons @ BS 3 re-roll 1s 120 points =
1.25 GEQ Wounds
1.25 MEQ Wounds
0.83 TEQ Wounds
1.25 T7 2+ Carnifex wounds

Now obviously the LC has the better base stat line (S9 AP2) but it never improves and you can only ever kill 3 things at best. However, the guard player in me likes LOTS of dice. 9 Snipers gives me 6 more dice than , its alot like rolling the to hit dice with my HB squad.

Now granted LC are far surperior for killing vehicles but anything that qualifies as "infantry" or "Creature" Snipers are superior.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Stastics aside the above post in basically the complete unfiltered truth.

You cannot simulate luck, or the lack thereof, so don't put too much stock in stastical "should's". I for one cannot hit anything with a lascannon (unless it has legs and is driven by a madman sitting in a tinplated coffecup), so I don't particularly use them in line squads.

Ratlings really don't need stastics, their point cost speaks for itself...the only shame is that you can only have 9 of them for 99 points, hitting on 3's and wounding on 4's with the rending 6 coming along every now and again is fantastic.

They are simply one of the best Elite choices for an IG list because their functionality can be felt in all armies all around within a 3' zone of sniping pain.

Got a Terminator problem? -> ratlings.
Got a Nob/flashgitz problem? -> ratlings.
Lysander? -> ratlings.
Nidzilla? -> ratlings.
Need another quick VP from a retreating enemy squad? -> ratlings

They can solve almost any problem if they can reach out and touch it from 3' away.

·
Registered
390 Posts
To echo Tronix a bit, never take Lascannons in anything but the AT squads you get in either HQ or the HW platoons as HW support.

I say this b/c they're always the same price regardless of where you put them but everything else picks up by 5 points.

plus since we still get sharpshooters its almost like having BS4.

Since coming back to 40k with 5 edition I've not faced a Land Raider that I have not killed with my LCs.

But back to snipers.

SNIPERS ROCK IN FIFTH!

·
Registered
668 Posts
General consensus though is that Ratlings are much better deal than special weapon squad snipers or light infantry. They're cheaper, better at shooting and most people just use the Imperial Guard sniper models instead of the hobbits with rifles.
Quick point on that... Guard sniper models will have a different LOS than ratlings, so you might run into a few sticklers who will not be cool with that substitution. It probably won't happen a lot outside of a tournament setting, but yeah.. just putting that out there.

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
Quick point on that... Guard sniper models will have a different LOS than ratlings, so you might run into a few sticklers who will not be cool with that substitution. It probably won't happen a lot outside of a tournament setting, but yeah.. just putting that out there.
Yeah but if someone did that they are a pretty hard core Nazi. But alas, there are probably people out there who will complain that the guard models are 1-2" taller than the ratling models.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yeah but if someone did that they are a pretty hard core Nazi. But alas, there are probably people out there who will complain that the guard models are 1-2" taller than the ratling models.

Well you get all kinds in competitive play,

·
596 Posts
When I take Ratlings, I only use the sniper models that are kneeling. They are essentialy the same hight as a Ratling.
Also, I have started converting some ratlings by cutting off legs and what not... I still havent come up with a very good one yet.

·
1,206 Posts
I was advised very strongly to use ratlings. After playing some 5th edition games against an eldar army with bucket loads of pathfinders I realized BS4 snipers with cover save bonuses are amazing.

However I agree the models are nasty. I had a think about the stats and decided that I'd replace them with something that would be accurate, good at hiding but not as tough or good in a scrap as your average trooper. I ended up converting some FFB Militia into conscripted old poachers/game keepers (my army is from a medieval world). Their advancing years would explain their physical short comings and their experience would explain their cool rules. (plus I'm tight and he was cheaper to make)

It never crossed my mind people would complain they were too tall, but you're right! (min you I tend to deploy them in buildings and when your two floors up I'm sure an 8th of an inch can't make that much difference ;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Tell your opponents that the difference in height makes them slightly harder to get into cover, and easier to see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.