Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of wiring up my monolith to glow in the dark. Has anyone else tried this? Does it work? and do you have any tips?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ive never attempted to do it and I don not know of anyone that has but I have toyed with the idea.

My best suggestion would be to bore out the bottom of the crystal and run your wires to inside the monoltih...you could also seal the crystal and fill it with the inside of a highlighter/water solution and light it with a black light to create an "neon" looking light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
my friend is good with that kinda stuff so he is wiring my monlith with a small LED so that it will make all the crystals glow

what he did was bore out the bottom, put a switch there, and ran wires up to the big crystal

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you're not well-versed in electronics you may want to try glow-in-the-dark paint. If you paint the inside of the crystal with high-quality glow-in-the-dark paint before putting the halves together it will glow an eerie green when charged. The rods in the 'lith can have a stripe of glow-in-the-dark paint applied to their backs before being inserted into the model. Glow-in-the-dark paint doesn't stay lit forever like LEDs would, but offers a much cheaper and easier alternative to give your army that errie glow you're looking for.

If you're interested make sure you buy high-quality paint from a good source. The paint you find in hobby and craft stores is garbage compared to what you can get on th Internet from a glow-in-the-dark specialty supplier.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
It's not really that hard a think to do if you've got a rudimentary knowledge of electronics.

Just a few LEDs, a battery clip and recess to house it, and a capacitor to make it blink. You could even cheat and purchase blinking LEDs. Wouldn't be hard to do, I'd think about it myself if I played Necrons.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks these ideas are great. I like the sound of the Glow in the dark option for the rest of my army.

·
Registered
308 Posts
RE: Monolith lighting

You may find this pdf file useful.
http://www.culttvman.com/assets/Model_Lighting_.pdf

I chose to assemble my monolith with the rear side held in place by magnets, so that all the internal lighting equiptment was easy to get to.
I also went as far using 5mm green leds installed into each of the guns, with holes drilled so that the light reaches the small rods.
My main source of light for the interior ended up being a flashing christmas light bulb that effectively illuminates the crystal, portal, and rear circle (once it was cut out beneath the circle.)

*The formula in the pdf file is critical for not burning out the leds when using them in series and parallel, and for determining the correct size capacitor needed.*

If you need any pics, I can take some and post them to the web/gallery, or email them to you.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
umm this might be a stupid sugestion but why not just cut a hole in the bottom and use a torch i mean really your not going to have it glow in a battle as it would be distracting to both players so why go to all the trouble to wire it, if shining a torch through it dosn't produce a green enough light put some selephane on it and it wouldn't have to be a big torch a good quality small torch would do just as well, if you are using it in a battle (alot of players will ask you to turn it off and you must do it if they ask) then still use a torch but butild a plastic or paper holster for it and make sure the hole can be filled up so it can stand up , both are cheaper and easier than wiring and probably safer too and will still give you a good effect for 1/8th the cost

1 - 10 of 10 Posts