Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im confused as to what sort of Lamp to buy for when Im painting my minis.I have had several different people say different things to me.The two main ones that cropped up were "Daylight bulb lamps" and "Flourescent bulb lamps".
Which one of these is better for painting and if its neither what do I use?Im so confused at the moment:wacko:

Tygra

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been told that a normal bulb isnt powerful enough to use for painting and that the light it gives of isnt a true replica of sunlight. its like when your in a car park at night when the only light is from the car park lighting , metallic cars look a different colour than in the day.S o when painting , we may not notice it , but the colours will be different when the model is seen in daylight. I was told it was more evident with some colours but not others.Ive been told daylight bulbs give off a blue light like the sun does, I bet you dint know that Skull White paint is a blue white.But apparantly flourescent bulbs give off a brighter light but not as good a daylight light, if you get me.It confuses me too. Help me!

· Thread Killer!
2,686 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about what bulbs you use. You probably really wouldn't notice the difference. That said this is what I use:

I use an OTT light as well as a 100w bulb in a shop lamp (cheap clip lamp). I need a lot of light as my vision isn't 100% up to par and I like to see what I am doing! :)

Cheers,

-Mike

· Registered
51 Posts
Yea I know what you mean. When I got back into it I was looking for the brightest light possible so the lighting could match natural light. I bought a 10 buck lightbulb and still turned out teh same. Ive heard that using a black lightbulb helps with shadowing but Ive never tried it.

· Keeper of Records and Ale
12,108 Posts
I use a desk lamp armed with a 180wtt daylight bulb, this gives off a nice bright white light. You will find the difference between an ordinary bulb and a daylight one is that they normal ones give off a slight yellow tinge to their light - this can distort the ways colours look. Hence it is almost always suggested you use daylight bulbs.

KU

· Registered
168 Posts
I paint at the bar in my kitchen. I just turn on both sets of flourescent overheads and it gives me a good amount of light. Thats 8 60 watt flourescents. Nice and bright. I WOULD like a lamp for close up work I think, especially since I bought the jewelers headband magnifying thingy.

I dont worry about it not being natural sunlight cause its not likely I'm ever going to set up a display case outside or have battles on picnic tables. All the lights in my house are flourescent.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree I dont think it matters too much that you need a daylight bulb if you are going to only see the minis indoors anyway.Youre right , Im not exactly going to play outside on a picnic table.Thanks everyone for the advice

Tygra

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.