Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried many different methods of painting lightning, but none seem to look how I want. How do/would you paint lighning? I particularly like the lightning on the Wraithlord in Codex: Eldar, its cool :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well i think you have your answer there... just look at the one in the codex and maybe buy a wraithlord to practice on.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Well, I usually paint lightning effects on my power weapons.

A dark blue background is best. Then you paint the lightning shape in Lightning Bolt Blue and then black (yes BLACK). When dry you paint over the lightning with ice blue and finally white... Make sure you make each colour a little thinner than the last one so that all the colours can be seen..

This is my technique... ;)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Why black? I usually started off with midnight blue, then ultramarines blue, then white (with a bit of mixing the white and UM blue first).

·
Registered
878 Posts
If all else fails, and you don;t have a fine enough brush or you're not good with small things, I'm pretty sure that GW has a waterslide transfer of a lightning bolt.

·
Registered
237 Posts
ummm, for my night lords i simply used ulktramarines blue in a random pattern, (when i was paintin them we had a thunderstorm, my luck) but make sure its goin downwards. Then go over it with skull white.

The one in the eldar codex is extremely detailed and that is one of my fav paint jobs ever, but it would be bloody hard as...try and try, maybe ull get there...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yuk! I don't like water transfers...

I have tried the lighning effect, but usually the result looks horrible...
You could try to go for some sort of very fine detail ink pencil and just "draw" the lightning on.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I use a very simple method. Dark blue background, followed by wide lines of slightly lighter blue. Within those lines I paint a thinner, lighter blue line that's more jagged but remains within the borders of the first line. Finally I use a fine line brush to paint thin jagged lines of white with occasional branches of white extending out from the main bolt past the borders of the blue.

·
Registered
231 Posts
those tanks look kick ass too bad mine are better hahahahaha j/k any ways all i did was paint thin lines with some white then outlined it with a dark blue and i think it looks great that way.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Haemogod,
Yes they are chaos. They're painted in the traditional Night Lords color scheme.

WAAAAGH,
Then put some pictures up. I like looking at other people's work so I can get some ideas on new techniques to try out. Aside from practice, the only way to get better is by stretching your boundries by trying new paint jobs.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wow, those tanks rock! :blink: And why doesn't anyone like waterslides? They're not that dumb...

·
Registered
231 Posts
i cant post any pics cause i dont have a digital camera or anything else that can do that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.