Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was just wondering what your opinion is on which is better to use in the game the lion chariot or the tiranoc chariot and why.

Im just asking to see what people that have played with them think and what situations you would use them in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Normally I'd choose the white lion chariot unless i would need to cut down on points heavelly. The lion chariot is just better. Those lions rock, it causes fear and it has a nice save. Sure the tiranoc chariot is nice (rather average) but the lion chariot is worth every point while the tiranoc chariot isn't really.

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
I'd go with the lion chariot because of it's many high strength attacks something the HE miss. (Except of course swordmasters)

Tiranocs are cheaper and faster but die more easily and IMO are not worth their points.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well typically they'd die to Cannons and other high strength hits more than combat. A Tiranoc Chariot is a different beast compared to the brutal Lion Chariot.

However, at a higher points game, I'd just grab the Lion Chariot. They both take a Special slot after all.

·
2,244 Posts
I would always take the tiranoc chariot, we are strapped for points as is, while I do agree that the WL chariot is better, I can't justify the extra points.

However I am struggling to find a place for any chariots in the lists that I am writing at the moment so not the most unbiased judge.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Tiranocs are cheaper and faster but die more easily and IMO are not worth their points.
Die more easily? You realise that both have exactly the same number of wounds and toughness, the only difference is a mere one better AS for the lion chariot?

Both of them also have the same strength of impact hits, which is the main function of a chariot. And both have US 4. Which means the lion chariot cannot go and fight on its own, it won't be winning combats without support, which leaves it with exactly the same battlefield roles as the Tiranoc chariot. Now if both have the same role, as support units for your other stuff to get some kills while units provide ranks and numbers, and the Tiranoc does it well (yes, the lion chariot will get more kills, but the Tiranoc gets enough) then why spend extra points on the Lion chariot when you can get the same job done by a cheaper unit?

Whats more, the tiranoc is faster so it can get to places quicker and keep up with your army easier. There is a pretty significant difference in points between the two, and as Allonairre said the HE are expensive as it is and we need every point we can get.

The lion chariot has fear though? Yes, but with only US 4 what is it really going to do? Its not going to make a unit flee from you, at best its going to make them hit on 6's but what does that matter when you are dishing out 4 s5, 2 s6 and d6 impact hits? There is going to be no one to hit back anyway.

You could very nearly get 2 tiranocs for the price of a lion chariot, and the only real difference is a few attacks that don't matter for their battlefield role anyway. I'd take a Tiranoc any day. If the lion chariot was cheaper, or had US 5, then it would quite possibly be worth it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the post guys you have given me a lot to think about when it comes to choosing chariots as all the points that have been raised are pretty valid.

i think for my purposes considering i will mostly be playing against vc it might be worthwile to invest the extra points for the lion chariot just because i wont have to put up with @#$%*&^ fear. But i think that i will only really do this in higher point games in lower points ill just opt for the tiranoc.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
A good idea, neglecting the fear abilities of VC. However, by doing that you are already putting yourself on the back foot and reacting to them rather than making them react to you. Is it really worth spending 55 points to make a chariot immune to their fear? IMO I think not. The lowest leadership in a HE army is 8, and our generals grant higher leadership, we are one of the few armies that doesn't have to think about fear so much. A tiranoc chariot will carve through the soft undead troops with ease.

Though I guess since they crumble the extra attacks from the lions would be benificial to make even more of them crumble. It may well be that the lion chariot is worth its points against undead, I haven't tested it against them though so I don't know.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
My answer to the original question would be neither. I haven't taken a chariot in a high elf army in over a year and half. If however, I was to make a list vs VC, and had to choose btwn the 2 chariot types, I would go for the lion chariot. Most of the VC army will not break and flee after a devastating charge. With van hel's danse macabre, there's a good chance you may not get all the charges you want anyway. The lion chariot is better for a couple reasons. You don't have to worry about fear, but also, when you charge and don't break/kill every last one of his skeltons/ghouls, whatever, the next turn you have lots of high WS, high strength attacks to kill more undead goons. In fact 2 of them working in tandem, are probably just as good as a unit of dragon princes on the charge, not counting the impact hits. Where lion chariots fail is against shooting of any kind ( which 90% of WHFB armies have )

·
Registered
162 Posts
~They are both quite amazing, and beautiful models. Tiranoc have the small advantage of bows, but are going to be hitting on either 5's or 6's, and only have Str 3 bows, so it's not that big of a difference.
~I personally think that the Lion Chariot is much prettier, and I love Chrace and White Lion units, so i guess I'm bias. I really wish that the lion chariot would get a better bonus against ranged attacks. Mostly because the crewmen would have lion cloaks, as would the lions...At least I hope.

*P.S. Stewart, but it's 6 Ws 5, Str 5 attacks, because the crewmen are treated as mounted so their great weapons only go up by 1. Four attacks from the lions, and a total of two from the crewmen. This along with the d6 Str 5 impact hits becomes pretty amazing.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
*P.S. Stewart, but it's 6 Ws 5, Str 5 attacks, because the crewmen are treated as mounted so their great weapons only go up by 1. Four attacks from the lions, and a total of two from the crewmen. This along with the d6 Str 5 impact hits becomes pretty amazing.
You are, of course, correct. I should have noticed that mistake, the latest version of AB for some reason gives them s5/6, which is wrong. S5 for the crew as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts