Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to fantasy so bare wit me on newb questions please...
any way my question

1. How effective are suarus
2.are the marks of the different gods worth it
3.how effective are cold one cav
4.same wit stegs and salamanders.
5.i want to do a heavy combat army like no magic... could i do this efficiently wit the lizzies

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
All of this is my own opinions and experiences:
1. How effective are suarus
I love these guys in nice large blocks. They're solid enough that you can't rely on them sticking around (good armor, and Cold Blooded). They get extra attacks, but will be making them later in the round. And pretty good stats for a basic Core infantry unit. In smaller games I take two units of 16 (4 frontage). In larger games, I try and boost them up to 20-model blocks (5 frontage). I've just started using 3 blocks in games over 2000, and despite the fact that this eats up almost half my points, I think its worth it.
2.are the marks of the different gods worth it
Some are, some aren't. Most LM players won't use any of them, due to the shifting of the Saurus unit to Special or Rare instead of Core. But there's a way around this: in a WD issue from last year they introduced Sacred Hosts. Hosts are lists built using one spawning for the entire army. This spawning *must* be taken on every Saurus unit and hero, and additionally on every Skink unit and hero (the Skink versions of the spawnings are slightly different too). The Hosts also change the Lore that Skink Priests use to better reflect the Spawning they carry. I sometimes run my list as a Sacred Host of Quetzl, and it makes my 2-3 Saurus blocks *rock* hard. The rules for using a Sacred Host can be found on GW's website for free.
3.how effective are cold one cav
Solid heavy cav, but expensive for my own tastes. If anything, I use them as a minimum unit of them in one rank used to flank the enemy. If only they could take Sacred Spawnings, I'd be all over them. I prefer to use Terradons for speed or Kroxigors for power.
4.same wit stegs and salamanders.
Salamanders are great flank holders, as most infantry blocks don't want to get near them. The larger you can make each pack, the better - a single Salamander is a waste of points, two is so-so, and three is solid gold. Stegadons are great against low Ld armies, and a really cool chariot-equivalent. Don't ever count on the bow on its back to do anything. Don't assume it's the same power level as a Dragon - it needs support to survive.
5.i want to do a heavy combat army like no magic... could i do this efficiently wit the lizzies
If you run a Sacred Host of Tepok (see what I said in #2), you'll be generating a LOT of Dispel Dice. If you want a normal list, take a single Skink Priest with either 2 scrolls, the Diedem of Power, or the Cube of Darkness (I'd actually prefer two Priests - one with 2x scrolls, one with the Cube). That'll give you a couple of dispel dice and a means to throw a wrench into the enemy's plans once or twice. The Spawning of Tepok on your characters will net you extra Dispel Dice as well, so make sure to utilize it if you want few to no priests.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i would agree with lots of the stuff that meglomaniac said.
saurus are excellent, cavalry are good, but kroxigors and terradons are better. Salamanders are also excellent, but like meglomaniac said, you need 3 of them. Stegs are very cool, but not too good on the battlefield. If you want to go for strength go for more salamanders or a double-spawned saurus unit for rare choices, but if you are going for coolness, go ahead and try out the steg.
i find spawnings to be very useful on characters mostly, and then i also sometimes play a sacred host of tepok.
For not tepok host anit magic, you should take a tepok spawn on your hero, and have some lvl 1 priests. however i like the blood statuette of spite better than the cube of darkness. It owns against high elves, and is good against everything with low toughness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Question do you have to pay for the spawnings...like specificly for each unit in an all spawn army

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
In a Sacred Host you still just take the spawnings per unit. Just read the rules on the GW site, they're quite clear.

On Saurus Cavalry. They hit harder than almost any cavalry out there. They are expensive too, but still worth it. And if you start with the Batallion box you might as well use them 'cause you pay for them.
If used right they won't disappoint you.

On the Saurus, I prefer blocks of 15 (5x3) over blocks of 16. 5 wide plus a champion gives you 11 attacks per turn. For that you sacrifice a rank bonus. Saurus are some of the hardest hitting basic infantry in the game, so use it. And they're tough enough to survive losing that one rank bonus.
This I especially recommend if you play offensively. If you play defensively I'd go for static CR too.

Tai'shar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts