Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Needed to put this somewhere it will be seen by many, im guessing this is the best place. Maybe it could get stickied if the idea takes off.

Anyway, the other day on LOchat we began discussing the possibility of creating an (official?) Librarium Online magasine. Similiar to WD, or atleast how WD used to be back when it was good. There is already some sort of magazine on the LO homepage, but im thinking a proper magazine, with specific articles all together nicely. I have PM'd Blackhat already and he likes the sound of the idea, so lets get going!

Im thinking we could get members to play specific battles, taking photos and writing up good battle reports.
Also to include hobby advice, such as painting and modelling etc, including specific articles and the best bits from the forums.
Tacticas, announcements, general details from the LO community, anything our members want in there really.

Im trying to figure out how best to put it together at the moment, im thinking pdf if i can figure out how to use adobe or whatever it is I need.

As some of you may be aware, im currently studying at university, and hence its quite likely i will be needing quite a bit of help with this project. f anyone wants to then please put a quick post here, and also any other ideas or plans people have, get them here too.

·
I'm back >.>
2,233 Posts
Yeah, this is a good idea. Put some showcases of armies in etc. I can probably make pdfs, in word, which would help? We'll need some designers for the layout and backgrounds on the pages. Let's make us a list of what we want.

I may be able to do some modelling articles if you wish and some basic painting stuff. The showcases could include a interview with the owner about it and their favourite stuff in it, their list and tactics etc. Could have a vassal section which could include pictures of the newest sprites and new additions and how tos of using it.

Any other ideas and any volunteers for jobs and articles in it?

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Count me in!

Well, my club and I, we shall help with battle reports, hobby articles etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, I hope it works out. LO is the best online forum, so it makes sense that LO users would create the best magazine.8Y

Very nice, high five!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I feel as though I must point this out, but this has been tried a few times. At least twice and each time it just dies rather quickly. Unless you get a good, dedicated team to work on this and to work hard and constantly it will fail.

Also, for PDFs you'll probably want Adobe InDesign. Rather good for PDF creation by all accounts.

Kuffy

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Sounds like a great idea, I hope it works out. LO is the best online forum, so it makes sense that LO users would create the best magazine.8Y

Very nice, high five!
I agree completely, lets make this work.

Lets start laying out what we want in our first issue :)

First things first:

Hobby Articles, tacticas, how to paint etc :)

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok to start:

We need a Title page, Introduction to the mag, Battle reports, Hobby stuff.

Im also thinking we can announce VW winners, print the lists possibly. Also things like the LO award winners.

Pickle says he can do pdf making and whatever, so im happy to leave the compiling to him.

Kuffy, it may have died before, but its always worth another shot. You in?? :)

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
i thought i would try to contribute so...
possible sections for the magazine to be set up into
- Rumors section(with pictures)
- Hobby section
- Experimental rules(like a chapter aproved made by members.)
- A small section for each army
- A fluff section
- Battle reports
- tactics
- honorable mentions(winners of contests ect...)

I'd be happy to contribute... but i dont think i know anything useful enough to really be much help... although i do have a lot of time when im doing nothing and i am sort of OCD when it comes to doing stuff miniture related and making lists and stuff so i could take a decent work load.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Unsure if this has been posted

WIP updates and pictures for LO members big projects.
Tutorials
Showcases
Maybe if we could try get a interview with GW guy?
Book Reviews!

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
Unsure if this has been posted

WIP updates and pictures for LO members big projects.
Tutorials
Showcases
Maybe if we could try get a interview with GW guy?
Book Reviews!
good ideas.
However it might be kind of hard to get an interview with the big cheeses of GW.
maybe we could have a section where we showcase completed armies by members. we could advertise it on LO and then pick one member a month who has agreed to show thier completed army and then have pics of thier completed army in the magazine.

·
Renaissance Man
280 Posts
Brilliant idea.

I'm doing my third year at design college so i have the experience needed should you want another contributor. I have experience doing page layouts, pdf compiling etc. I can use photoshop, indesign to a good degree.

I'd love to do the graphic design for it :p Say the cover page etc.

I'd also be keen to submit articles on scenery building etc. Im sure we could transcribe and modify LO threads into articles or something.

Earl.

·
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Koss and Paw, some awesome ideas :)

I think we could get some good interviews with LO members, ive seen a few done before. Rumors and reviews, like it :)

Great to have you on board Earl. Im looking at and thinking about title page design right now. If you like, throw a few things together and send me them in emails ill take a look. My email address is in my LO profile.

Also some sort of background image for each page would be nice, something nice and subtle. Forward any ideas for that too.

Ill get onto writing the mag introduction. Think its best i leave the designs to others as im not the best person with a computer lol.

Edit: Just got the stuff allowing me to create pdf's so once everything is together ill be able to compile now.

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
Just wondering about the cover page... will it be the same consistant picture or a new picture every month. also headlines and maybe a table of content. What will the title of the mag be?

I'll try to find some 40k pictures for the backgrounds.

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
How about making the back page some of the best from the Jokes and Funny Stuff section? I put in a vote for albinoalien's shield marines.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I'd love to help with this if there's anything that I'd actually be good at... which there probably isn't. :?

Anyway there's some good ideas been thrown around already. It would be fun to see some sort of letters page. Even though it probably wouldn't serve much purpose I often find them the most interesting pages to read in magazines. I've just had the though pop into my head...A Warhammer agony aunt! :D

Jokey suggestions aside I hope this works because together LO can accomplish great things.

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.