Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't tread on me!
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I’ve got to be honest I’m tired of seeing these grizzled veterans getting no respect. Everywhere I go I see SW players bashing the use of Fangs.

I’m going to offer up a little insight to help you understand why I think they still have a place in almost any SW army.

In 5th ed they are a solid choice if deployed properly. They should always be deployed in cover with at least two lanes of fire. Taking full advantage of the cover saves and split fire rules. I can’t possibly be the only vet Wolf player to figure this out.

At range Long Fangs are more survivable than most tanks and cannot be destroyed by one lucky shot. The only thing tanks have as an advantage over Fangs is maneuverability, but well deployed Fangs won’t need to worry about moving.

Give your opponent other threats to shoot at. Misdirection is a great way to keep the heat off your Fangs. I prefer to make it something fast that can be in his face at any time.

Keep them relatively cheap; with 5 models at or around 200 points which is cheap for Fangs. Avoid the urge to pay much more than 200 points because then they start to become a point sink. I think this is part of the reason most have written them off.

Four Fangs armed with Missile Launchers are a solid choice. They come in at 189 points and work against armor and hordes equally well.

I hope every SW player who reads this gives Fangs another look.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Thankyou! A kindred spirit! I like Long Fangs a lot, I tend to use them in most games I play, the only problem with them is that they tend to come out at quite a few points for the 5 man squad, which is especially annoying when we consider that the SM Devastators have their heavy weapons MUCH cheaper than us :angry:

Yes, I've also found that putting them in cover with 2 lanes of fire is the best way to get the points back with Long Fangs. The best setup for Long Fangs IMO is the pack leader (obviously), a plasma cannon, lascannon, missile launcher and heavy bolter/multimelta depending on what opponent you're up against. My only whine about them is that you can only have 5 in a squad, then again I suppose you can only have 5 heavy weapons in Devastator and Havoc squads.

DiW

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
My problem with them is that even with the ability to split fire, they're still around 200pts for 5 MEQ that will likely have a cover save. Compare that to vanilla marines who can do 4 ML in 2 units for only 40 more points, and one of those ML shots will be coming in at BS 5. The only way to really keep Long Fangs alive is to give the opponent a better target, but in KP games there's probably no easier KP in your army than Long Fangs. They're a nice, juicy target.

Sure they can be useful at times, but I just think there's better things to spend your points on.

·
Venerable Member
314 Posts
after i started space wolves, it took me a while to cave before i finally added long fangs. they've been alright at best
i've always used 3 heavy bolters and 1 plasma cannon, clocking in 189 points. in certain lists i drop the plsma altogether and just have heavy bolters.
the heavy bolters are the cheapest weapon. i play against meq's most of the time. with the new cover save rules, i basically just shoot at anything on the board through cover or not, the opponent get their armour saves anyways. against armies that get destroyed by heavy bolters, the depoylment is a little bit more important, and it is often tricky.
setting up with good fire lanes is most often easier said than done. it really depends on how the terrain in your deployment zone. not to mention one of every 3 games will involve you having to walk those long fangs on. chances of a good firing position within 6" of your table edge is a toss up. and you're usually rolling to move into/through cover for those positions. running could help, but even then, it's a toss-up and not reliable. or you could have them walk on in the open to help find better firing lanes, but even then they're not firing till at least turn 2, provided they get a good position turn 1. also, long fangs in the open are not exactly in their element. all this applies to devastators too, however they can have ablative wounds and cheaper weapons.
truthfully, i use the long fangs more as fire magnets than damage dealers in themselves. and it works very well, as i have a massive blood claw army that, on the lucky occasion will get miraculously ignored while runing up the table in favour of the more scary looking long fangs and venerable dread (toting a plasma cannon)

moving on...
i've recently replaced the long fangs with a squad of 3 attack bikes. best decision i've ever made. proxied it first a few times, then bought and built the bikes. for fewer points, the same number of heavy bolters than the long fangs, plus twin linked bolters. and with more wounds, and at toughness 5. and for the very best part, they are moving 12" every turn, and firing at full force. (better than even vehicles) so in dawn of war deployment, they are riding on 12", guns blazing since turn 1. in the other scenario deployments, if a good firing spot exists in the deployment zone, deploy them just like you would long fangs. if not, hide them behind something then run them out 12" guns blazing on turn 1.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Its 230 for a full unit of devs with ML compared to 189 for 5 long fangs with ML. 230 is quite different from 200-> I can nearly pay for an extra rhino or razorback with those points, or I could get a couple more blood claws, it could pay for a SS and power weapon, etc. Its not to be underestimated.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My long fangs with Las, Plas, Missile, and H.Bolter are my bread and butter. I will often take 2 squads. The ability to split fire causes a lot of havoc. You have Las and Missle for anti-armor and Plas/H.Bolter for anti-infantry. The option is worth it. That squad has been the bane of many armies I have played.

Takeda, I feel you don't get the usefulness of the squad if you are using them as a heavy bolter squad. There is no flexibility there, so no wonder the attack bikes feel better for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I must say i agree completely with MC Bone Giant. I recently played a 1500 pt game against orks and they were undoubtedly the MVPS of the match. I used the anti-infantry plasma cannon and heavy bolter to thin his boyz out and my multi-melta and lascanon took out his deth koptas (pardon me if i spelled them wrong) and his trukk, making his hq and elites pour out. in the end all he was left with was a gretchen and a leader dude (not sure what it was called). Without the fire of the long fangs, the match would have gone very differently. The ability to split fire costs us, but i say its worth it if is means that you can use the right gun for the job.

Arch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts