Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. i posted in the general discussion asking which army people thought i should get. in the end most people wanted me to get orks so i am likely to get orks. :D

what should i get first for my army. i have £30 - £8 (codex) so that leaves me with £22. :D

i was thinking of getting a packet of boyz and a warlord. :D

what does eveyone else think? :unsure:

·
Registered
735 Posts
That is a good start, check the Codex...some good advise on starting an army.
A Warboss and two boxes of Ork Boyz is the best way to start.
What you get after that depends on what you like to do...

WAAAGH!

Warlord Hakbash

·
Registered
126 Posts
Look At This, fellow ork needs help
Heh, in less than 11 hours he dumped the entire idea...

I suggest the following, "Pick an army you want to paint up." Get an army that have the variety (or lack of) models you want, and generally something you would enjoy painting. If you do not want to paint models, go play something like VOID. GW minis are too expensive to push unpainted metal and plastic around.

·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no as i said i might till get a small ork army but the main reason i dont want them is that i prefer to shoot and i already have a guard strter army so i will stick with this at he mo.

another reason is i hate it when i am in the middle of building an army and gw rereleased it so you have to get new models, i might wait and when orks are rereleased i might get an army. i know this isnt too likely to happen with guard for a few years because they have just rereleased them.

what army do you have hishamEQ? it doesnt say on your profile

·
Registered
735 Posts
Ghazgul once said "I like Orks to be green an mean, not yellow and weedy"

Go with the IG if you want to shoot. Orks are more a CC army.
Also a good point probrobly the most valid is get whatever army you are most likely to paint...Thats why i gave up on chaos, just never got around to painting em.

WAAAGH!

Warlord Hakbash

·
Registered
735 Posts
Foot slogger or KOS?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Me too. Foot sloggers is the way to go. I just love a horde of green skinned mayhem on the field of battle...to many machines just get in the way.

WAAAGH!

·
Registered
126 Posts
dont you find that orks die easily
No.

There are 2 flavors of troops in 40K when it comes to saves. Those that get them and can take hits (SM, SoB, Chaos, Tau, Necrons, and such). And those that have no save. Orks have a toughness of 4, and that helps a lot. In fact I think having a high toughness will really bring a unit in line with resistance to shooting damage. Most weapons have a high AP, you just have to deal with it.

Cover helps, and that is why I scoff at folks that just pipe up about having units of 30 Orks. Unles you are playing with an ungodly amount, you will never keep units of this size within reasonable amounts of cover. Huge units do work well with lots of grots though (or lots of bikers to provide cover).

Check size is am immensely powerful ability for Orks along with mobbing up. Ork units can take a lot of punishment. Even if they break, combined with proper deployment you can have them fold into a smaller unit of specialty troops (burna boys or tankbustas) to make them even larger.

I do not use a force entirely on foot however. I do compliment the bulk of my foot troops with some fast attack and units that use transports. The idea is to split up the enemy's firepower and get units into assaults on a flank. Usually this works. Oddly enough it is the armies that are monsters in HTH that cause me the most problems, not the shooting armies.

Orks are not a great shooting army, but they can be surprisingly effective if you can dump a lot of firepower on a single enemy unit. I find people sometimes are surprised by this. Especially when you see two slugga mobs of 15+ shooting an enemy with 12 STR5 (4 big shootas) and 2 STR8 (rockit) shots, all the while STILL advancing. The key is to use huge ungodly amounts of firepower on a single unit. Space Marines and Tau can trade single unit's firepower on multiple targets. Orks need about 3-4 full units to do the same.

I digress a bit... I find the lack of saves not to be the most limiting factor. You work around it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
dude play orks play orks play orks play orks play orks play orks play orks play orks play orks always go with the green tide!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, there's two intelligent and pretty much unblockable arguments to get Orks. *rolleyes*

Orks /can/ die easily, but they shouldn't, if you are playing them correctly.

·
Registered
849 Posts
What i like to do is have a shitload of boyz and eavy stuf along with some trukk boyz bringing up the flank.. I also include a grot mob or two in the front.... just for fodder for the enemy... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's fun with a mob of 30 orks to just march them toward the enemy, shooting as you go. The complete lack of any sense of self-preservation is great, and it does take a while to whittle them down. Much better, of course, to shield them with grots - just make sure there are no spaces between the bases to allow firing on your boyz units.

Of course, getting into HtH is your goal. A basic Ork, with two single handed weapons gets four attacks if he charges into combat, and with a big mob, his intiative should match most of his opponents. Ten orks in base contact = 40 attacks in HtH. It's fun watching your opponents face as you collect up ALL those dice to roll.... :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I also include a grot mob or two in the front.... just for fodder for the enemy...
i dont use grots as meatsheilds some times i do but most of the times i dont. Last time i fought a khorne army and he brought out his bloodthirster i overwhelmed his bloodthirster with 60 grots and took him down after took out like half of them but they still work.

·
Registered
175 Posts
lol... I was playing a 3k game against guard... He killed EVERYTHING before I got into close combat... But it was cause I was using his Ork army not mine... And He didn't have any trukks... :( :(

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.