Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking at starting 40K (I already play WElves in WHF). The Daemonhunters appealed to me so here I am. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a new edition codex coming out?
2.a) If so, what models are being remade?
2.b) If so, is there anything to worry about/look out for? (Like the ASF rule for HElves in WHF)
2.c) When about is it coming out?
3. Can a daemonhunter army be described as competitive?
4. Any comments to make about them?

Thanks in advance guys.:happy:

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
The Daemonhunters appealed to me so here I am.
You have come to the right place. Welcome, Brother! :)
1. Is there a new edition codex coming out?
Sadly, neither Inquisition army has an updated codex slated on the known horizon. From the looks of things, it'll be 2010 or beyond before an update comes our way. The most recent Chaos Marines codex effectively eliminated several of our special anti-daemonic rules, and it's unclear whether any of them will once again become relevant once the new Chaos Daemons codex is released later this year. We have a dated codex ... but fortunately, we're still playable.
3. Can a daemonhunter army be described as competitive?
Really, any army can be competitive. ;)

But with the DH, there are no obvious "killer" units or unit combos. The strength of this army lies entirely with the skill of the general. The core of most DH armies are Grey Knights, and beyond being the best models Citadel ever made (especially those Terminators!), they are extremely well-rounded troops, equally capable of shooting enemies down from distance or tearing into them in assault with gleaming Nemesis Force weaponry. Ultimate battlefield flexibility is something the DH/GKs do better than anybody else. It's very much a jack-of-all-trades kind of force.

However, this potency comes at a high price -- literally -- and numbers are very limited. GKs are precious resources that must be used judiciously, wisely, carefully, or it'll be a short game to a massacre.

Beyond the limited numbers, there are two major weaknesses to the DH army. The most prominent is a relative lack of high-strength weaponry/anti-armour solutions. A concerted effort must be made in every list you build to cover that shortcoming. Fortunately, there are quite a wide variety of options available (e.g., inducted Imperial Guard, allied Sisters of Battle, mounted Inqusitorial Stormtroopers with melta guns, GK dreadnoughts and land raiders) so you just need to pick the one(s) that suit your fancy and run with it. This is probably the single most important choice you will make as you build your army, as it heavily impacts the range of your tactical options on the battlefield.

The second weakness is a lack of speed. GKs are nothing if not mobile -- always projecting a massive threat bubble, even on the march -- but they are not fast. Many armies can run rings around us. Other than relying more heavily on mechanized Stormtroopers, inducted IG Armoured Fist squads, and allied Sisters of Battle, the only ways to get GKs anywhere fast is to spring for land raiders (expensive!) or risk deep striking. The upside, as I've implied, is that GKs make excellent foot troops, their stormbolters and the shrouding and Aegis all help keep them alive and under your control, but such protection isn't impregnable, and is a little random.

Opposing these weaknesses is the fact that the DH, as an Inquisition army, has the possibility to be one of the most diverse and interesting armies anywhere. As I've noted earlier, you can cobble together a legal army from many different sources. There is more variety to an Inquisition army than any other 40K army, more possibilities than can be enumerated. You should never get bored with modeling or playing, provided you are willing to experiment.

All that said, if you're looking for an army that you can build quickly, that looks absolutely beautiful on the game table when fully completed, and clearly rewards tactical acumen, this is the army for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, being a WElf player I now all about tactics and expensive troops (12 points base for core troops eats up lots of points before you even get to the good stuff like treemen...).

You mention it being an Inquisition army. Not being a 40K player, could you explain what that means? You also mention allying with Sisters of battle, so Deamonhunter and Witch Hunter armies can be combined? If so that solves my dilema of choosing which ones to take (I'll get both, lol). Or is it only core troops that we can choose from.

If you can clarify a bit, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey dude, welcome!

I have a similar background to you, so I will give you my opinions as well as answer some of your questions.

Well, being a WElf player I now all about tactics and expensive troops (12 points base for core troops eats up lots of points before you even get to the good stuff like treemen...).
My favorite army in WHFB is Wood Elves as well, and I went into Daemonhunters thinking the same way you did.

Here's something that I can't stress to you enough: Daemonhunters are NOT a very forgiving army.

Also, they are very expensive (both points wise and money wise, especially compared to Wood Elves).

You mention it being an Inquisition army. Not being a 40K player, could you explain what that means? You also mention allying with Sisters of battle, so Deamonhunter and Witch Hunter armies can be combined? If so that solves my dilema of choosing which ones to take (I'll get both, lol). Or is it only core troops that we can choose from.
There's a really good answer to this in the "Daemonhunter's FAQ" put out by users in this forum, check it out for more details. I'll give you a quick answer though:

The availability of units depends on 2 factors: Your "Parent list" and your Allies. There are 4 armies that form this partnership: Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters, Space Marines (and their chapters), and Imperial Guard.

If you take Daemonhunters as your parent list:
1. You can take Sisters but not their tanks ( :( ).
2. You can take many different IG but you have to fill some troop requirements first.
3. You can take Space Marines but you have to leave the Grey Knights Behind.

Read the FAQ as it will explain everything in detail.

To end, let me leave you with these final thoughts: Daemonhunters have a HUGE learning curve, and when you couple that with the learning curve of getting 40k down, it can be very difficult and discouraging. Be prepared to lose when you pick the army up, because you're going to lose a lot. Before you buy, make an army list and post it in the army section, get some good tips, refine your list, then playtest it (using proxies) until you get a list that you feel comfortable with. THEN, go out and buy your models. You'll save a lot of time & money doing so. Trust me, I speak from personal experience.

-Spaar

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, so I guess I'll read that FAQ

If I still feel up to it and when I have enough dough to spend on the codex I'll pick it up (I need to get some warhawks to take out nasty warmachines for my WElves). Then I'll come back here and post my first list.

·
Registered
239 Posts

If you can clarify a bit, it would be much appreciated.

To put the allying rule simply::::

If you take Daemonhunters are your parent list(and you should lol)

You can take from the Witch Hunters:::

1 HQ
1 Elite
2 Troop
1 Fast Attack

This is why you may see soooo many Daemonhunter lists with Seraphim or other such sisters in their lists

Daemonhunters as noted several times now are not a forgiving army, if you play them to their strengths and exploit your opponents weakness (and we are one of the few armies out there that can do that) you will stand a good chance of being on the winning end of the game

Daemonhunters are not as competative as a pure Sister army (those things are just mean) but are competative none-the-less (and look pretty damn good while winning or loosing lol)

Only word of advice I can give is this::

If you use PAGK or FAGK then use lots of them! Minimum at 2k is 40 of them so they will last and actually do something for you

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol...PAGK, FAGK...all I got out of that it GK = Grey Knights.:rofl

Also...where is the FAQ?:|

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
PAGK = Power-Armoured Grey Knights, or "ordinary" Grey Knights, not to be confused with Grey Knight Terminators, often abbreviated as GKT.

FAGK = Fast-Attack Grey Knights. Essentially the exact same models, point cost, and wargear as PAGK. Only difference is, they use up a fast attack slot on the force organization chart, and can therefore deep strike deploy or, if deployed normally, set up last.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Also...where is the FAQ?:|
Under the pinned topic "Daemonhunters Index" by Lost Nemesis. Remember, make sure you click on the link to the FAQ by mEGALOMANIAC and Lord Yarrison.

Also:

PAGK = Power Armor Grey Knights (in other words, Grey Knights in the Troop Choice).
FAGK = Fast Attack Grey Knights (the ones in the Fast Attack slot that you teleport into battle).

-Spaar

·
Registered
534 Posts
number 6 told most of it already.

As what I can add to it, is that Grek Knights will probably the army to go for. Otherwise, you could just play Space Marines. Their expensive, and get killed quite as easy as normal Marines to in shooting, but their still worth their points. You need to stay on top of your opponent, otherwise you'll lose control over the battelfield, and that's one thing, in my oppinion, Grey Knights are really good at. The may be slow, but most of the time very reliable. Maybe you could take a look in the army list section, to get an idea of what most of the GK generals on this forum use, and what tactics there are around for us.

One last thing, welcome to our ranks! :party:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, does anyone know if the GW FAQ V4.0.1 is included in the new printings of the daemonhunter's codex?

Yeah...horribly expressed...sorry about that, if you need clarification to answer please say so.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The only things that are included from that FAQ (as far as I know) are the things listed under the "Clarified in Second Printing" heading. Those are what they consider typos, it seems, so for instance a newly printed DH codex will list Heavy Flamers as Assault 1 and not Heavy 1.

Hopefully that's what you were asking ;). Cheers, and welcome to the DH!

-H

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K, makes sense.

Look for Heavy Flamers, if it's listed as Heavy 1, then it's the old printing and if it says Assault it's the new.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for.

I'll be getting the Codex this weekend so I can plan what to buy and field in my army. If everything goes as planned...I hate it when a good plan gets ruined...:p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have the codex. I have officially joined the ranks of daemonhunters :D

edit: and it's second printing too, so no need to print the faq...yeah for me!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'll make a combined WElf/DH army painting blog.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have come to the right place. Welcome, Brother! :)

Sadly, neither Inquisition army has an updated codex slated on the known horizon. From the looks of things, it'll be 2010 or beyond before an update comes our way. The most recent Chaos Marines codex effectively eliminated several of our special anti-daemonic rules, and it's unclear whether any of them will once again become relevant once the new Chaos Daemons codex is released later this year. We have a dated codex ... but fortunately, we're still playable.

2010??? I'm so sorry, but I just need to confirm this. The new codex is expected to arrive due in 2010? Is there any way to confirm this?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
2010??? I'm so sorry, but I just need to confirm this. The new codex is expected to arrive due in 2010? Is there any way to confirm this?
Heh, I suspect this is just a guess based on the other codices they're working on now, rather than anything confirmed by GW. Honestly, despite how much I'd like a DH update, I think I'd rather see a DE update before us. Those poor sods have such a hosed-up codex =).

-H

·
Part time Pirate
1,148 Posts
Well from what I've heard the DE have had their new codex taken off the list of things to do, but there is an Inquisition codex on the books and from the sounds of it, it will be about a year away... but in saying that GW always take a little longer than they think.
So end of 2009 / early 2010 sounds like a sensible guess to me.

Also in saying this so far its called "Codex Inquisition" so who knows what it has inside...

·
Registered
231 Posts
yeah, the DE should come first mostly because unlike other 3rd/4th ed. books won't mesh well with the new edition.

While I like the DH appearance wise I always had problems succeeding with them, I would recommend reading, "The Way of the Water Warrior" on the Bolter and Chainsword. Really is an interesting view on how to play 40k in general and a genius interpretation of how to play DH, really good read!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.