Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I generally play Orks but I have quite a few Necrons that are sitting around that I have not played

Destroyer Lord
Warsyche, Gaze of Flame

4 Pariahs
10 Flayed Ones - or 2x 5 Flayed Ones?

3x 10 Warriors

2x 10 Scarab Swarms
3 Wraiths

2x Tomb Spyder

My Pariahs and Troops will follow the Spyders up table whiler the Lord, Wraiths and Scarabs wreck havoc farther ahead. I do not have the points for a phylactery or Res Orb, btw, without removing a lot of scarabs and I'm not sure its worth it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Destroyer Lord
Warsyche, Gaze of Flame
Seems fairly solid. I find the lack of the resorb to be disturbing. No resorb usually means a quick phaseout.

4 Pariahs
10 Flayed Ones - or 2x 5 Flayed Ones
Pariah's are really only good against Eldar, otherwise they're mostly useless. They almost never make it into close combat.

The Flayed Ones are usually better than Pariahs as they can infiltrate which is usually better than deep striking them. In my experience, they just don't cut it. I find wraiths to be a better option for close combat.

3x 10 Warriors
Good solid warrior base. That's more than I use, and more than I think you may need. But that's up to you and to preserve your phaseout.

2x 10 Scarab Swarms
3 Wraiths
Scarabs are a great speed bump and are surprisingly resilient. I only have 8, but have been quite impressed with them.

Wraiths are by far the best close combat unit available for Necrons. They're fast and usually strike first and love to tear through non meq units. Keep them hidden in cover until they're ready to pounce into combat.

2x Tomb Spyder
I have one, and haven't had much of any luck with it. It usually gets shot up before I can make much use of it. I personally don't like them.

It appears that you're building a close combat army for Necrons. This can be difficult in most aspects as Necrons are typically a shooty army. I'm surprised to not see any destroyers in here. They make wounding marines and T5+ units/models much easier. It's up to you, those are just my thoughts.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Looks pretty solid, you can very much fit a res orb in, full 10 scarabs aren't really necessary.

Brave to start out goin for CC Necrons. Pariahs will need to get some protection, and I'd drop squad of warriors in preference of more flayed ones and Pariahs. Infiltrate, walk in, tie stuff up. Wraiths, and pariahs will be your big hitters, unfortunately the Pariahs ARE slow, though they can give out some nifty firepower on their march forward I'd focus their shots on vehicles for the most part.

Pair Pariahs and Flayed ones for nasty fear effects. if you're fielding Pariahs I may even suggest chucking in a few more, two squads of four or five might do best, as I've never fielded them I can only speculate.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
they are? oh nvm then hehehe. I'd still suggest bolstering the squad by two. Rounding up the flayed ones and getting a Res orb. they are very handy.
Pariahs are a rather tough model compared to what other armies field. Little on the expensive side so you just gotta give them a nice meat shield of warriors and keep them out of major firing lanes.

On the reverse side, use them as a big expensive target so your opponents ignore other things, if all else you can shower in some Gauss blaster fire before they die.

I may suggest adding more wraiths instead of scarabs the maxed squads cost about the same, and it makes your wraiths far more survivable.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Woo CCCrons!

have 2x5 FOs, and infiltrate them.

Also, id say go for 3 more Wraiths over the 10 Swarms.

Dont think 2 Spyders are necessary yet, so maybe look at a 5th Pariah, or some more gear for the Lord (Phaser or Orb)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lord
Warsyche, Nightmare Shroud, Gaze of Flame, Res Orb

6 Pariahs

11 Warriors
10 Warriors
10 Warriors

10 Scarab Swarms/disruption field
3 Destroyers
3 Wraiths

Heavy Destroyer
Heavy Destroyer

Well, after all the comments I will go with this list. I dropped Flayed Ones and Spyders and added Destroyers. Hopefully I'll still get use out of the Pariahs with a tooled up Lord - nice firepower and maybe I can get the Fear Factor going. But I will not rely on this and use Wraiths and Scarabs to tie up squads and Destroyers to distract my opponent until my main body of troops close the gap to get within rapid fire range. Sound like a plan that would work?

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Hmm...I'd use Flayed Ones before Heavy destroyers. With an army theme like yours they would be more useful.

Dropping the disruption fields on scarabs and the heavy destroyers, I'd put 6 FOs back in along with a tomb spyder. They wil get you farther. The destroyers and Pariahs can easily cover anti-tank.

Tomb spider is definitely important since you're using a single squad of wraiths and single squad of destroyers. It will allow them to stand back up if the squad is wiped.

After that I'd swing for a Destroyer body on that lord. I'm not familiar with people using nightmare shroud, but Destroyer lords and wraiths are very much nifty.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flayed Ones are used to supposedly "counter" Necron's of CC prowess.Wow, that's never really worked for to me. I fielded Flayed Ones twice against marines. They did almost nothing. Just looking at the stats, you can tell that FO are only useful against 4+ and 5+ armor saves.and in those cases, they' are often outnumbered by units 2-3 times cheaper than themselves. Not what I would call a good use of points. I would like to make them a worthwhile addition addition but truthfully if my Heavy Ds take out a tank that could damage the rest of my force they have payed their way.
I like Destroyer Lords. They work well with both Wraiths and Dstroyers. However, I also want a walking Lord with res orb near the main body of my troops. So it was a saw off.
I also Tomb Spyders. I want to make them work. But I have my warriors close enough that a Topmb Spyder usually is not necessary. If I get charged I will rely on m,y Lord and Pariahs to do some damage.
I admit its been a few years since I last fielded these guys. But I do remember the tactics that I think worked best. This army has to play out as a unified whole. Each squad has to complement the other strategically. I generally will not leave any squad out to hang by itself. The scarabs and Wraiths and Destroyers will be a bit ahead of the main body but I will not send a single destoyer to a quadrant without the other destroyer and perhaps the scarabs as backup.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Erhm.. actually with only one squad of wraiths and destroyers the spyder won't allow them to get back up if they got wiped seeing as how there would have to be "another model of the same type anywhere on the battle field."
Yeah well....uh...I forgot :p

What armies do you normally face? Suppose I should have asked that as well.

Your army looks fine all in all but I still don't find the Disruption fields necessary, you've got plenty of gauss-fire to down enemy armor.

Not sure about the warscythe on a footlord, you have plenty of warscythes already and the SoL is nice to have on a foot unit. On a destroyer lord who has a higher chance to get into combat I'd suggest it, not on a foot lord though. Power weapon is enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts