Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what any of you think of lootas and how effective they are. What squad size do you typicaly field in normal games and what do you do with them. Their deff guns look like they could be great for skimmer control against eldar and just fire support in general to support my trukk army, but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Played a 3.000 point game the other day against Tyranids... took 45 lootas (3x 15). They absolutely killed everything except the MCs. Against anything with a majority of 4+ saves and light vehicles, Lootas are KINGS.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took a single squad of lootas at 8 strong with 2 mekboys (darn box set) and they took out a crisis suit team, a broadside, and a skimmer. Well worth their points in damage but once he realized how good they could potentially be, they bit the dust pretty quick from a pair of transports with burst cannons.

If you set them up the first couple of rounds so they can see the battlefield then they can do well. Just keep them behind some regular boys or another equivalent shield squad, and hope they are lucky enough to get a bunch of shots so they should do well. Try not to field a minimum size squad. if you roll a one for their number of shots they are pretty much boned. but with ten models or more they should to well, and remember you can give those mekboyz big shoota's for some added dakka.

I like them better than any of the other non-Nobz elites. especially since they don't need a transport like burnas or tankbustas.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i didn't mean to say that they block line of site, but they might be ignored in the face of scarier targets. like 20 oncoming boys or so. Lootas should always be put behind the army at a safe distance.

and don't most armies still have to make a priority test to shoot at a distant target? Tau only have a leadership of 7 most times, which makes the Ork lootas safe from the firewarriors. Obviously vehicles will still hurt.

5th edition will hurt them, since the rumor is that friendly models block los. it's gonna hurt.

·
846 Posts
I used a 10 strong squad of lootas with a Shokk attack gun mek in a recent game against a Tau player. I still lost the game in the end, but that was mostly due to my poor tactics with the foot mobs and my general inexperience with the new list.

Back to the lootas though. While their position wasn't superb I was able to cause some rather severe damage with them. Turn 1 they were able to stun the opposing hammerhead and destroy it's railgun, allowing my boys some respite. In the following turns they wittled down the squads of fire-warrioirs that were hunkered down in cover. Had they been in the open I can guarantee many more would have died. As it was, my lootas were the most effective unit of the game, mostly due to a poorly timed Waaagh! and a series of lucky breaks for my foe.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I use a 12-strong mob of Lootas (less than 200pts, mind ya) in just about every game. These guys are fantastic against light armor/skimmers, and can multi-role against infantry if ya need it.

The key to using Lootas is to take as big a mob as you can! Makes them survivable, and every extra D3 shots comes in handy, especially at BS2...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used two 15 strong mobs of lootas last weekend in a 1750 game against Black Templar. First turn they knocked out a dread and rhino. Second turn they killed a vindy and a razorback. Interestingly enough, on the D3 rolls, I rolled one 3 and three 1s. So, even if you roll a 1, if you have enough lootas in the mob they will do some damage.

After the two turns the BT player started picking up his army. I completely out ranged him with the lootas and had a 20 strong stormboyz mob and biker boss ready to assault what was left of his army.

His comment was, "The Stormboyz are way too fast and the lootas are basically autocannons for too cheap, it's like playing against the Nids!" I loved it.

·
Tomb King
671 Posts
I face a 15 Loota mob every week at 1700 points and they pretty much own the major fire lanes on the board. I play Dark Eldar so if any of my vehicles get in Los they are totally boned and the wyches or other units inside die hideously in the crash and the remnants get jumped by Trukk Boys. They also gank my T7Talos.

As stated they are an outstanding unit vs light vehicles and moderately tough MC's if used in numbers. I would say less than 12 is probably not worth it with such a poor BS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I used a 10 strong squad of lootas with a Shokk attack gun mek in a recent game against a Tau player. I still lost the game in the end, but that was mostly due to my poor tactics with the foot mobs and my general inexperience with the new list.

Back to the lootas though. While their position wasn't superb I was able to cause some rather severe damage with them. Turn 1 they were able to stun the opposing hammerhead and destroy it's railgun, allowing my boys some respite. In the following turns they wittled down the squads of fire-warrioirs that were hunkered down in cover. Had they been in the open I can guarantee many more would have died. As it was, my lootas were the most effective unit of the game, mostly due to a poorly timed Waaagh! and a series of lucky breaks for my foe.
I put a SAG with my unit of lootas in one game. I ended up tying the game because on my last turn i rolled double ones and took out 4 of my 6 lootas and the SAG.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I did something similarly foolish my first ork game. Except my SAG took out 8 of my 12 Lootas!!!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts