Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Death-skull Big-mek with his KFF gets hold of a Landraider and builds a makeshift Atlas recovery vehicle by orking it up with a pair of big shootas, a grabbin klaw & riggers.
It transports the big-mek 10 Lootas and their associated Mek.

Now by my thinking if it moves <6" everyone hanging on it and the vehicle itself get to shoot so:
Big-mek can't fire as he sacrificed his ranged weapon for KFF.
Lootas fire D3x10 shots from wagon back.
their mek fires off his mega-blasta or rokkits.
The vehicle fires its big shootas, I assume don't have to sacrifice loota shots to do this?

Now if the vehicle gets hit through the KFF and becomes immobalised I get 3 4+d6 rolls to negate this? Why would anyone bother with grot oilers when riggers are better (not single use). Or does it go something like: My riggers fail to resolve the probelm so I'll risk a mek giving it a go, he failed too so I'll use his oiler? Tripple redundancy or what?

·
Registered
304 Posts
First off your lootas couldnt fire because they are heavy and if the vehicle moves then the unit inside counts as moving. Second, you got two meks in their so you should be able to make 2 repair rolls, good their. But personally, I think you should just leave the meks snugly in their ruins at the back of the table without the mek.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
As already stated, the Lootas may not fire if the vehicle has moved.

More importantly, there is a slight difference between Grot Riggas and Mek's repair.

Grot Riggas - May be used during the Ork shooting phase to repair an Immobilized result on a d6 roll of a '4+'.

Mek's Tools - May be used at the beginning of the Ork shooting phase to repair an Immobilized OR Weapon Destroyed result on a d6 roll of '4+'. On the roll of a '1', the Mek gets carried away and the vehicle counts takes a Crew Shaken damage result.

Got Oiler - May be used to reroll one failed Mek's Tools roll.

Use the Mek's to attempt to repair an Immobilized or Weapon Destroyed result (which is a big deal, as either result will make the vehicle even more susceptible to Destroyed results). Only use the Grot Oilers if your Mek's roll a '1' to avoid the ever so annoying Crew Shaken result. Failing that, your Grot Riggas will give you one last attempt to get the vehicle moving.

Also, just personal preference. I like giving my Meks a Big Shoota (hey, it's free!) The KMB is too unreliable, and with only a single shot, you're almost just as likely to Get Hot! as you are to hit.. and your Mek isn't going to pass his armour save. The Big Shootas will allow your Lootas to still fire off a few shots at long range if they're forced to move, and with 3 shots each, you're actually likely to hit something.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see so in order to optimise the looted wagon for range I either need to give it a boomgun & 2 big shoota total cost 115 or perhaps fit it with skorcha, 2 big shoota & a 5 man team of Burna boys including 3 mek-boys with big shoota for 135.
Shame can't fire heavy weapons when moving in a vehicle but guess I just wasn't thinking.

Thanx for putting me straight.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
First, I'd never put lootas in a looted wagon. Hell, I wouldn't even put them in a battlewagon. They're honestly a lot safer inside cover instead of inside an easily 'exploded' vehicle.

Second, shooty looted wagons never really work out very well, at least not compared to warbuggies, which get their guns twin linked. The only looted wagons I use are cheap transports for burnas/tankbustas/flash gitz (since they can't take trukks), or looted boomguns with a second gun (either big shoota or rokkit) and nothing else.

Finally, here are the overall rules for vehicles moving and shooting. It's a bit complicated, so it's easily mixed up:

Passengers inside vehicles must abide by all normal rules for moving and shooting, so if the vehicle moves, the passengers also count as moving. So when moving in a vehicle, you can't fire heavy weapons, and rapid fire guns can only fire 12in (not a problem for Orks though). Passengers can shoot out fire points, or if it's open topped, from anywhere, as long as the vehicle didn't move over 6in. If it moved 7in or more, they must disembark before firing.

Normal vehicles can only shoot all their main guns (Strength 5 or higher) if they stand still. If the vehicle moves up to 6in, they may only fire one main gun, and all defensive guns (for Orks, the only defensive gun is the flak shot from a kannon). If they moved over 6in, then they can't shoot at all.

If the vehicle is fast, everything moves up by 6in. They can move 6in and still fire all guns, and they can move up to 12in and fire one main gun plus all defensive guns. If they move between 13 and 18in, they can't shoot at all.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Er confusing or what?

So if I had a looted wagon with a pair of bigshoota & 5burner boy crew 3 of whom were meks armed with bigshoota then
Stationary all bigshoota fire,
Move upto 6" a vehicle bigshoota can fire as the main gun & 3 Meks can fire theirs as assault weapons having moved 6".
Move >6" No one gets to fire.

The looted trukk is looking very unattractive now, shame as I really wanted to do an imperial conversion since my mate is selling his stuff.

On a separate note a Battlewagons main gun comes without crew. If I use it to transport Grots, primarily so it can sit on an objective would its bigshoota be fired by grots BS3 as well as its Killkannon etc?
If I fill it with nobz with at least one ammo-runt do I get a reroll for a zappa miss?

I thought orks were going to be an easy army, but rules and weapons choices really confuse things. Does anyone use Flashgits, I'm finding it hard to visualise their true role.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
No, the guns on a battlewagon are still fired by the crew, even if they're not specifically listed, so they have a BS of 2.

A looted wagon with a big shoota, transporting 6 burna boyz, 3 with big shootas and 3 with burnas, isn't a bad unit for its cost. It's only a total of 130 points, and it can move 6in and still fire 4 big shootas (12 shots= 4 hits w/Strength 5) and/or 3 burna templates. Or it can move 12in and simply drop off all the burna boyz next to a large group of enemies, and then drop 3 templates on them, as well as 9 big shoota shots.

For 130 points, that's a bargain. However, it's also 2 relatively easy kill points, so I'd only use the combination in friendly games, or when you don't have many kill points in the list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.