Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing with VC for some time now Necrachs and occasionally Blood dragons I am fairly clued up onb the conventional tactics but was wondering if there was any reason to use Lore of Death in VC army, prehaps combined with Necromantic magic?

By the way my army is kind of magic top heavy (after facing magic crazy High elves found if you can't beat em join em) any way so I have room to experiment with strange strategies.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I play 1250pt. games, and lately I've been running 2 Necrarch Thralls and a Necromancer.

My Thralls both have Invokation of Nehek, and are fielded in regiments (1 in a regiment of Skeletons, armed with light armor, the other mounted and fielded with a regiment of Black Knights), and my Necro is fielded in another regiment of Skeletons and given 2 spells from the Lore of Death.

I happen to like the Lore of Death, because the Necromancy list only has 2 damage spells, and when rolling 2 dice for them, it's not a certainty you will get one of them. The Lore of Death has a few more damaging spells, plus their #1 spell is a magic missle, so you can always substitute for it. It also has another magic missle that is exactly the same as Gaze of Nagash, so 2 magic missle possibilities, one you can always get if you don't roll for it regularly.

The Lore of Death gives you some damage potential in the magic phase that you may not always get with Necromancy. If you are in a position like myself, where you are running a lot of wizards, then I think it's a good idea to run 1 of them with the Lore of Death. However, I wouldn't make that your main magic casting, because Invokation of Nehek is vital, and Necromancy still does have some great spells at it's disposal.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Yes, I use the Lore of Death but only when I've got really magic heavy. Maybe a master necromancer's army where one of his subordinates takes death magic. The -3 to leadership spell is pretty awesome, too. That can completely change a terror or fear test . But otherwise I almost always take necromancy. Three attempts is IoN is not only terrific, sometimes it's necessary. But sometimes just for something different, I'll take death, but never on my main caster.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
395 Posts
Im a big fan of necromancy...unlike other lores necromancy has a very sweet selection of spells... every spell sof our lore is absolutely useful lol... I love them all they are VERY useful in one way or another...improving your undead units to win in close combat and CR is the best magic for a undead army

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I agree with Big_Canadian, Necromancy just has every spell tooled out and perfect for the list (except Hand of Nagash...) I'll always use it. Magic doesn't need to be offensive IMO, as long as it supports your army and necromancy does that very well.

Though I can see that if you had a lot of necromancers it would be good to take one with death to reduce the cheesiness factor.

·
Registered
947 Posts
True. Few people like to be buried under an endless tide of Zombies. And besides, Death is a blaster lore. That Wizard just may blow some peole's heads up ;)

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very useful tips thanks. I may have to experiment with Lore of Death then, it is true that Necromantic magic compliments the army very well but a few more offensive spells can't hurt. It occured to me that if you mix up the types of Lores in your army the enemy needs to evaluate a wider threat potential.

·
Registered
395 Posts
ok...just remember the key to winning with VC is not by blasting the enemy with spells... its over number (KEY FACTOR) and CR those are the two key elements for a succesful VC army

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True enough but I have to say that offensive spells are useful for destroying the lighter aspects of an oppents armies (light cavalry flankers small units of archers etc). I normally take 1 Nechrach Count and three Necromancers and start to add to my zombies to make BIG units. Gaze of Nagash and Curse of Years + Rod of flaming death are useful for thinning opposition ranks so you DO win the CR.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Big_Canadian said:
ok...just remember the key to winning with VC is not by blasting the enemy with spells... its over number (KEY FACTOR) and CR those are the two key elements for a succesful VC army
Yea, what Berny Mac said.

Though it's a spell from the Necromancy list, a Curse of Years was the one and only reason why I was able to win the one match I've had against my friend who plays Bretonnians.

On the first turn, he killed off my Black Coach with his Field Trebuchet. Also, let's keep in mind that my Black Coach was also carrying a Necromancer, so he killed 2 very big birds with 1 stone. I thought I was out of it.

But my remaining Necromancer was able to cast a Curse of Years on his regiment of Knights, that was a very big regiment, and was able to dwindle it down so that by the time I got into combat with it, I horribly outnumbered it and was able to make it run by winning combat resolution. Had I not killed off his guys with Curse of Years, that would not have happened. I ended up winning the game because of it, because his regiment also had his Battle Standard, so I got a LOT of points for killing off that one unit.

Necromancy is by the the most important of the 2 lores that Vampire Counts can get. It's not as offensive, but it has too many invaluable spells. Invokation of Nehek is an absolute must, and you're going to need at least 2 wizards with it. Vanhel's Danse Macabre is a very vital spell. So is Hellish Vigour.

But I do feel that the offensive spells that come in Lore of Death are very important too, because it gives you an oppourtunity to dwindle down your opponent's numbers before you even get to it. Or in the case of one particular game I was in, it gave me an oppourtunity to pick off the wizards of my Lizardman opponent's army, who he didn't have in units, and weren't within 5" of another unit.

Necromancy > Lore of Death, yes. But I think that the Lore of Death also provides a very useful element to the Vampire Counts' magic phase.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I noticed that but wasn't going to say anything after all friendly game and all maybe it was a house rule.

Curse of Years is great against Knights it is normally dispelled within a turn but even 1/6 knights killed is quality.

I really enjoy gaze of Nagash on war machine crews.

Next battle I am taking Lore of Death for one of my Necromancers.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yeah I love curse of years.... my oppenent "no saves? my whole unit? UNFAIR" and I laugh lol. and thats one screwed up house rule.... I hope the wounds that the character does dont count toward the black coach rule where it gains wound... thatd be messed up lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Actually, it wasn't a house rule...

The rules in the BRB say that characters can ride in chariots, and the Black Coach is a chariot, so we all agreed that a Necromancer could ride in the Black Coach...

:unsure:

Didn't know there was anything wrong with that... :hmm:

And though it didn't come up, we wouldn't have played that wounds caused by the Necro would have counted towards the Black Coach gaining wounds.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Unfortunately, VC characters can't ride in the coach. It'd say in the codex entry something like, "May ride a chariot for X points." You're right, the BRB says it's legal, but what they left out is that little bit "it's legal if the individual codices allow it."

I think it wasn't made legal because it'd be too much for a vampire lord to be leading a chariot. A wraith's attacks are pretty insignificant, but a vampire count's aren't. Add to that terror and the coach's propensity for adding wounds, and you've got an overpowered unit, kind of like the steam tank.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the Black Coach plus character idea is a good one background wise as long as the person riding is a thrall or a Necromancer, that way it is the subodinate of the Vampire Lord riding the coach. Other wise it is a bit daft, I mean if you had a Vampoire Lord riding around with the coffin of ANOTHER vampire Lord.

In either case it isn't allowed rules wise, I would probably allow you to use it if you had converted and painted the model.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
Berny Mac said:
I think the Black Coach plus character idea is a good one background wise as long as the person riding is a thrall or a Necromancer, that way it is the subodinate of the Vampire Lord riding the coach. Other wise it is a bit daft, I mean if you had a Vampoire Lord riding around with the coffin of ANOTHER vampire Lord.

In either case it isn't allowed rules wise, I would probably allow you to use it if you had converted and painted the model.
maybe they were close ;)

no, but in all seriousness... nope you cant. If you could do that you going a daemon prince in a chariot as well and we all know you cant or a Thrall on a dragon for that matter and just doesnt work.

as stated before it has to be in the entry of the character for it to be legal.

cheers dancey!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I guess you learn something new everyday, because I didn't know that.

I just read about being able to put characters in chariots in the rulebook, and figured that meant any character in any chariot.

In either case, I only did it once, and the one time I did it, it helped my opponent, not me, seeing as though he destroyed my coach on turn 1, including the Necromancer inside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts