Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The illustration in rulebook is not quite clear. Notice the dreadnought is measured offcentre, however, the other model is measured from centre.

Has anyone found a definitive rule reference to say where things are measured from? Furthermore, the angle rule?

Page references appreciated.

·
The Fallen
7,906 Posts
I believe the words in the rule book are clear, but I dont have the book with me so cant give you a page.

Dont confuse range with LOS, you dont measure LOS.

range is measured base to base. For vehicles it is from the end of the barrel or to the hull

Line iof sight is obscured by stuff depending on the hight of the shooter, target and any interposing obstacles, exceptions are trees (see up to 6 inches) and elevation - again see the relevent section of the rule book

·
Registered
954 Posts
Cheredanine said:
For vehicles it is from the end of the barrel or to the hull
I belive 4th edition (or a FAQ) corrected this by measuring from the gun mount not the end of the barrel. This prevents people from making the barrels of their tanks longer to increase their range. Although, I too do not have page references to back this up.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
I belive 4th edition (or a FAQ) corrected this by measuring from the gun mount not the end of the barrel. This prevents people from making the barrels of their tanks longer to increase their range. Although, I too do not have page references to back this up.
Ranges are always measured from the base or the main hull. It is line of sight that is checked from the weapon mount instead of the muzzle (4th edition rulebook page 64).

·
Registered
954 Posts
ArchonAstaroth said:
Ranges are always measured from the base or the main hull. It is line of sight that is checked from the weapon mount instead of the muzzle (4th edition rulebook page 64).
Sounds right to me. And with a page ref to back it up...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Testing LOS...this is where a laser pointer comes in handy. I set the pointer right on top of the model by the gun and if I paint a dot without crossing intervening area terrain, I have LOS.

·
Registered
232 Posts
red120 said:
The illustration in rulebook is not quite clear. Notice the dreadnought is measured offcentre, however, the other model is measured from centre.
The dreadnought illustration you refer to demonstrates a walker's ability to rotate about its "waist." This is for determining the fire arc of walker-mounted weapons, as opposed to hull-mounted, turret and sponson weapons, whose fire arc is determined by location on the hull; for these, LOS is taken from the mounting point.

Essentially, a walker can ignore its own hull for the sake of LOS (unlike, for example, a Land Raider's side sonsons) as long as it fires forwards. For example, an enemy unit ahead and to the left of a Dreadnought could be fired on by both of the Dreadnought's guns, even though the front hull might seem to mask the right arm.

·
Registered
603 Posts
weapons are measured from the base of the weapon (the mount as it were) as shown in the LOS illustrations for vehicles
thus most vehicles have a "blind spot" for their sponsons, which is why moving sponsons when building the vehicle is not allowed.

Range is measured from the base of the vehicles, defined in the bases section of the rulebook.

sorry, don't have the book handy for page # but just look in the index for the section and you'll find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.