Librarium Online Forums banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
I don't go yelling it from the rooftops, because a lot of people will just bitch and whinge about me spending money on little plastic men, but once they find out, I don't mind.

I keep finding that old friends I had in school that I've met up with years later used to play, or still do. So its not always a good thing to keep secrets, but me personally I love the whole game and the fluff is amazing too so anyone that wants to know, I'll tell em ;)

504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Well I picked up my first model when I was 7. Been at it since. Didn't have my first game till I was 11, but that's not the point :p

My interest in the hobby has faded, but never fully left me. And besides, a lot of my friends go to a club (a rented room in a local leisure centre) where we play from about 12-5 every saturday. We age from about 13-20 (I'm 15 at the moment) and theres about 20 people total (not all at once though) and to be honest (looking at Sarathi here) we do still have a large social life. I'm not going into it, but if I was to use a term, it would be "cool geek" for the most of us (oxymorons anyone?). Warhammer has never interfered in my social life, yeah, sometimes it leads to awkward moments, but someone who judges you for something like that is generally not worth listening to. I mean, who cares if a person spends 5 hours a week playing board games? I mean really? Hell, I used to down about 4 litres of mountain dew a week and spend about 10 hours raiding on WoW (thats way behind though) and to be honest, WoW effected life more than Warhammer ever did.

Dunno what u blokes do over there, but Warhammer from 12 to 5 on a bloody Saturday.. I'm never planning to go that far mate. Saturday is a day where surburban footy is played in the morning and then an AFL game is attended in the evening and you have a barby in between. There's a typical Saturday for you downunder mate. And 10 hours on WoW, all i can say is wow...

Now guys isn't Warhammer just a hobby? 6 hours in one days is a tad overkill (just a smidgen) since i spend about that in about 2 weeks. How much on average does everyone else spend?

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
But what you gotta realise dude is that a single decent point game can take a few hours alone, you may watch one game, and have 2 other games and there is your full 6 hours. adding in of course the fact that a lot of things CAN and will be contested during a match and there you have it.

It is just a hobby but I myself only play one game a week if that and it normally lasts roughly an hour, maybe a little more if there is a lot of players cos they are non point specific games.

But when I'm not PLAYING I spend almost any spare time MAKING scenery, trying to paint and what ever else I think needs to be done, sure this stuff can wait, but with being as bored as I am... It can't!

·
2,076 Posts
Ah, back when I was young, several summers ago, we played 1 or 2 games of 40k everyday for 3 months. Give or take the odd day, time between games was spent sleeping, eating, playing video games and making and painting models.
Good times

Now I spend the odd evening painting up a few models, and one evening every 2 weeks I have a game. Still good times, I'm not 15 anymore, so I have *gasp* better things to be doing.

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
I've never really gotten out of warhammer. My friends constantly get really hyped up to make an army, then we play heaps and then they get over it but i always stay in it and build more armies and play people at GW. So maybe you should steal my brain?

·
Nox
1,705 Posts
Dunno what u blokes do over there, but Warhammer from 12 to 5 on a bloody Saturday.. I'm never planning to go that far mate. Saturday is a day where surburban footy is played in the morning and then an AFL game is attended in the evening and you have a barby in between. There's a typical Saturday for you downunder mate. And 10 hours on WoW, all i can say is wow...

Now guys isn't Warhammer just a hobby? 6 hours in one days is a tad overkill (just a smidgen) since i spend about that in about 2 weeks. How much on average does everyone else spend?
Not particularly sir. As considering, I have the rest of the night, and all of Sunday. And anyway, as I'm sure I said, most of my friends turn up at the club and don't even play. Witty banter away lads ;)

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I just popped into the local RT (it's in the sticks so nobody really sees me anyways) with no intent to game. I showed up and there were 5 people in the store. And they're all joking about politics (if the owner/manager had been there he'd have thrown us all out), paintball, and movies we'd seen this summer. So yes- true- witty banter away.

Then two kids walked in with small 40K armies. They headed to the back to play a game (where all the tables are). We all watched the game, making assanine commentary and stupid jokes, all the while talking about the same old gossip. Then I went and got my models to show them some of my old conversions. Next thing I know I'm playing a 700pt 40K battle... my first true 40k in months!

I used to spend all day playing DnD with friends, or playing Warhammer, or WoWing in my guild, or getting my pals together to play videogames online. They're all hobbies. I've also been known to stand in a parking-lot with a wrench all day, fine-tuning the suspension on my cousin's Eclipse, or going to 48hr scenario games at the local Paintball field. I don't see what the difference is- and hour is an hour as long as you enjoy your time.

Also- I have never said that any of us weren't "cool geeks". Alot of the Warhammer players I know are that way. It's a social game, and everyone brings along some other talent rather than Wargaming. Put us all together and we're as likely to talk about that as we are to talk about the game being played.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I keep finding that old friends I had in school that I've met up with years later used to play, or still do.
That happens to me as well except for work instead of school. Sometimes I run across someone I've played before at another base. Two instances I can think of; One of the young High School stdents that played at a GW in VA, I met again in NC. Another was an E-mail I recieved just this past Saturday from a gaming buddy that I last saw in Japan in '04.
This hobby has kept me in touch with many of my friends, and I'm glad that I started it.

--Jim

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.