Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm now in my second semester of college and i find myself losing interest in painting/playing warhammer. i haven't painted in a few months and i cant remember when my last game was. i used to love painting and even have some models on DA, but now i cant seem to find the time to paint at all, and when i do i quickly get distracted.
my question is, what do you all do to keep yourselves painting and playing? i think part of the problem is none of my friends play any more and i hate going to GW for a pick up game...

·
900 Posts
Thats a serious cruch on motivation right there. Its hard to stay into it when all your friends have given up. Does your school have clubs? I knwo mine is privy to a gamers club, and you can always make some friends or gaming buddies there. (Course I stay away from the place since most of the members are freaks.) Can't say much other than if you lack the motivation, put it aside for a while and come back to it later on.

·
Son of LO
2,574 Posts
Yikes, you have actually played at a GW store? I'm sorry you had to suffer through that experience.

I think that we all hate playing at GW stores to be honest. In fact, I would rather stab myself in the eye with red hot sewing needles than spend an evening with the pompous assholes that staff GW stores.

I've been to GW stores in Georgia, California and all over Texas and I have to say that it must be a requirement to either be an annoying, overtalkative nerd or a pompous ass to work for them.

I suggest making a couple of friends at a GW store and then suggesting an alternate venue to play. It will make your gaming experience so much more enjoyable.

·
Slave to the flesh
4,330 Posts
When I finished school I needed to somewhere to play, I was a bit of a chicken when it came down to going to my local GW to play, but I wanted to keep playing, I eventually plucked up the courage and went to a vets night.

Since then I have been going to vets every week.

There aren't many GW where the staff and people aren't friendly.

·
Banned
568 Posts
Around here you have to play at the GW store. Only 2 other places you can play and one only allows Warhammer one night a week and the other smells horrible becuase they are doing renovations and still only have warhammer once a week and on the same day as the other palce. And at GW you atleast get people who look like they have washed in the last week becuase its in a mall, not some basment or backroom of a store. I play at the GW 3 nights a week if I can becuase Warhammer is to expensive to play 1 night a week vs. new people. I helped make my freinds and cousin's armies so it is little fun facing them constantly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
H0urg1ass said:
I think that we all hate playing at GW stores to be honest. In fact, I would rather stab myself in the eye with red hot sewing needles than spend an evening with the pompous assholes that staff GW stores.

I've been to GW stores in Georgia, California and all over Texas and I have to say that it must be a requirement to either be an annoying, overtalkative nerd or a pompous ass to work for them.
I haven't been to any GW stores outside the sate of Washington, but the pattern you are describing certainly holds true here. I suppose there are limited employment opportunities for that sort of arrogant, pompous, know-it-all, loudmouth type of person, so they gravitate towards GW.

The various Non-GW game stores I have been to still have the scent of geekiness, but the arrogance is toned down to a low enough level that it doesn't usually drive me screaming out into the street.

Playing at home w/friends is the best though. Just clear off the kitchen table, order a pizza, and go. I dislike playing in public spaces (such as stores) due to the inevitable gawking that comes with being a female player.

As to FTP's original question, I say just give yourself time. Don't try to MAKE yourself want to paint or play, that will only make it worse. I think it's natural to cycle through interests, from time to time everyone gets interested in other things or just busy with school and/or life. Just let it rest, you'll come back to it later and it will be even more fun than you remembered.

Oh, and If you really just need someone to play with to get your interest going, maybe try something like opponent search or craig's list. Then just clear off the kitchen table...

·
Registered
81 Posts
H0urg1ass said:
Yikes, you have actually played at a GW store? I'm sorry you had to suffer through that experience.

I suggest making a couple of friends at a GW store and then suggesting an alternate venue to play. It will make your gaming experience so much more enjoyable.
I no what u mean. Some staff members are right nobs here in UK aswell. I went into a store and not 1 spoke to me and when i wanted to buy something the guy just sat at the painting table with some guys painting pretty awfully until i had to go ask the guy if i could buy some glue. Also at another store the staff member first thing tried insulting my army. typically he played space marines so i got 1 back on him.
Anyways not all are that bad i suppose...but u do get quite alot of unwanted staff members in GW stores. Wish i had an intependent retailer near would probably be more friendly.

·
Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
i lost interest when i was about 17/18 and gave GW not a second thought all through university and a few year after too. I only really got back into it (painting anyway) because i was looking for something to do to relieve stress after work, and i remembered all my old unpainted minis in the garage!
I still find it difficult to go into a GW store, although the guys at my local one all seem very nice and helpful, if a little geeky

·
Registered
18 Posts
What we do at the local store I visit weekly is look for clubs and such posted on forms on the back wall. Many people host WH40k Escalation Leauges, Grand Tournements, and a load of other things for any Warhammer player.

If you own a bit of terrain or 1 or 2 boards you can also ask to either get contact with a
group or start one yourself, which is what me and my friend are planning to do after we make a few boards and host an escalation tourny weekly. We think it will be a great idea to meet all kinds of new people that are interested in what you love most. :yes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, somebody has to argue for the other side. 'sir theobold the lame', just wanna know if a fella with a surname Brown works there? He's a great fella I met at GW Preston. An inspiration and a true character. Well anyway, without GW there would be a significant amount of people that would never have found the hobby and be able to develop. Secondly, The majority of GW employees I have met have been very friendly but everyone has their off days. GW is a great place to meet up and play games, and have a general laugh. I'v been to three stores so far and each have given me the same impression.

Hell no, don't call them nerds, their just passionate about their hobby like some of us are. It's no good calling them nerds, it kinda backfires! After all, do you keep your hobby secret from people you try to impress-yep, you do. My gf don't know and she won't until she accidently finds out!

I know I'll probably get flamed for this but GW deserves some credit for everything they do for us! (apart from their soon-to-be price increases!)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with negative rep before.

"CaptShrike sucks so much we call him Hoover" is what it says when I mouse over.

Thanks for showing us how it's done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i feel for you about your dilema, but i do sense a feeling in you that deep down you still realy want to paint and play.

all i can really say is let the GW staff crap wash over you and just use them to play the game that you appear to love. also dont give yourself a hard time if you dont paint much just do abit at a time when you realy fancy it, and find stuff you think "yeah i really want to paint that". it is supposed to be a hobby after all not a chore.

lastly you could try arranging some realy small games just so that it does'nt seem so dornting.

i sincerely hope you re-kindel your flame for the game, good luck!

·
Consumate professional
3,514 Posts
Sweet Torment said:
Yes, somebody has to argue for the other side. 'sir theobold the lame', just wanna know if a fella with a surname Brown works there? He's a great fella I met at GW Preston. An inspiration and a true character. !)

im not sure, although everyone at the chester store seems nice and friendly and helpful, without resorting to the hard sell. The one guy in particular was short with cropped hair, mid 20s, nice fella. It certainly helps reluctant gamers like myself come out of the shadows a bit more and stop feeling ashamed for following a hobby!

Ther seems to be a good reason not to go to the Wycombe store though! ha ha

·
The Voice of Reason
818 Posts
I have had mixed experiences at the GW store here. Some times I'll go and have a great game, and other times, despite the fact that I show up with 3000 points of SM representing ALL 4 EDITIONS of 40K, some redshirt won't stop trying to sell me stuff and let me play. I feel like telling him "Hey pal, lay off! I'm already hooked, OK? You don't need to sell me on the hobby anymore! I sell myself at this point!"

One thing about the timing of your lack of interest is that it's very common. Same thing happened to me. I played and painted a lot until I went to college. Then I stopped for the next 10 years. I picked it up about 2 years ago and am now into the hobby even more than I was before!

The thing that should make you feel better is the following quote, taken from The Baltimore Sun, a newspaper here in the U.S., that interviewed U.S. head of GW John Stallard:

Q:Most of your market is teen-age boys. Any worry that as they "grow out of it," the market will shrink?

Stallard: No. I’ll tell you what happens. A lot probably start getting interested in our stuff at about 14 and get deeply involved in it by 16 or 17. Then they go to college and discover sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, whatever.
What we find is, they come back to us when they’re 25 or 26. They’ve never thrown their armies out. It never leaves you, really. You’ve invested a lot of personal time in collecting and painting them. Some drop out, absolutely, but there’s always new people coming in.

So that should at least make you feel a little better about it all. :yes:

·
Registered
490 Posts
CaptShrike said:
arghh you think that GW staff suck?! no its you; time for capitals to flame with:ITS YOU SUPID AMERICANS,YOU SUCK, IN ENGLAND GW STAFF ROCK, THEY HAVE ROCK-STAR LIVES! AND ARE SOOOO HELPFUL, YOU ASK FOR A SRIKING SCORPION ARM AS YOURS HAS SNAPPED, THEY GO OUT BACK AND GET 1 FOR YOU, THEY ROCK!!!! AND IF YOUR STAFF ARE LIKE THAT COME TO GW ENGLAND, HIGH WYCOMBE, BUCKS
Really not rue. The GW I go to (Western Chicago suburbs) is awesome. They have a guy there who has an interest for every little thing. Some guys help out the little kids, while others love to help teenagers. They have like 20 4x8 tables, and you can always find a battle against a mature opponent if you look for one. As a matter of fact, I went to England this winter. I loved the country, mostly the castles and abbeys, but I walked by a GW by Harrods, and decided to look around. Probably the worst GW I've ever been in. However, unlike you, I don't base this on that fact that it is in England, but by the matter of the management.
Ps: Another interesting thing I noticed in nearly all of the older buildings(including Westminster abbey) is that there are tons of signs that recognize and thank FDR and the rest of America for our aid in WWII....
Back to the subject....
I would agree: Dont force yourself to paint, but keep your minis and everything you have of them. Eventually you will get back into it, but forcing yourself will only push you further away.

·
1,485 Posts
Listen to me fellow gamer you obviously want to continue to play and be a part of the hobby otherwise you'd be writing a goodbye thread. So once you realize this you will begin to enjoy the hobby again and you wil be happy. No problem and if you have to just put it aside for a while until summer break.

·
Registered
536 Posts
loosestrife said:
Playing at home w/friends is the best though. Just clear off the kitchen table, order a pizza, and go. I dislike playing in public spaces (such as stores) due to the inevitable gawking that comes with being a female player.
QUOTE]

i wish there where more female players at the store i play at(Dark Tower Comics if anoyone comes to the US or Las Vegas NV) every one there is nice and very helpful to new player like my self. but there are some who are assholes to people who play card games tourneis that are held sometimes on Saturdays.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think part of my problem is that i want all my models to look like this and i cant accept anything less, which leads me to spend inordinate amounts of time on one model (plastic even) and not realize that i have to have 40+ painted to even begin to play. the only way i ever amassed an army was when i couldn't paint for crap and didn't care to.
i think im gonna try to find a gaming group on campus...

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,847 Posts
Ok- since the thread descended into 'how much we don't like playing at GW' rather than helping the chap out, I'll throw in my 2c. Playing at GW is a very particular environment. The only one I've been to recently was San Francisco and the guys there were pretty cool. Don't forget they're doing a job, guys.
Motivation wise, I know where you're coming from. I've 'played' for years but will often go months without a game and ages between painting. Usually it's seeing something cool that bumps me back to it. Like going to a tourney and seeing cool armies, watching cool games, etc. Local clubs and chatting with other gamers always gets me motivated. It's just a bummer that your mates aren't at the same uni.
If it's the lack of gaming that's getting to you then try looking around for local clubs, non-GW stores or using (heaven forbid) an opponent search. Don't panic about it though, maybe it's time to try another aspect of the hobby like dioramam building or spending 20 hours painting one figure to get the best job you can.
Ultimately though, any attempt to be involved with this hobby while in isolation is pretty much doomed to failure. If only there was some sort of online forum where you could chat with other gamers and painters... hey, hang on.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.