Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do i use a lvl 2 spwawning or a lesser one? Even without any magic items it is still 560pts. Advice please and what builds do you have on your Slaan?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well i would say it depends how you want to play. You have to take in considiration that a second generation slann will be a big chunk of your points and that would leave less for troops. However a second generation slann on his own could potentialy generate 11 power dice, i always use a second generation slann as long as i can so i usually play 2000 point games. As for magic items i would normally use the diadem of power, plaque of protection and the plaque of tepok. the 2+ ward save means you don't have to worry about cannons etc and the extra spell from the plaque of tepok could come in handy. I would also recomend you give make him the BSB (cold blodded LD9 and rerolls?)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course i would give him the BSB upgrade, i was taliking in basic points. Since hei is one of the most indestructible units in the warhammer world you can be pretty sure that he will survive the battle. Thanks for the advice on the magic itmes i was nt to sure to be honest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whats the BSB? I keep seeing it on topics with slann but am still not sure on what it is. I feel kinda stupid:(

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
In 2000 points I'd have it as 4th generation, maybe thirds if you want super magic, but not 2nd, that said, I have 2 slaan and when I finish my 40k army i'll finish off my lizardmen which will include another slann, (6000 points) currently only 5000. Anyway, In 2000 points, he'll eath up over a quarter of your point which is ALOT of point to spend on one model and is a big case of 'all-your-eggs-in-one-basket' and is probabely not such a good idea, more saurus is the way, point for point, rank and file infantry dominates all with all that combat resolution. Like 2 or 3 ranks, standard, probably a few kills aswell and if your very lucky and kill heaps or your against chaos or something you should have outnumber too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would disagree with you Kai-Itza, I believe that a second generation slann can be used very effectively in 2000 points. A thing you have to remember is that he is there to support the rest of your army, not the other way round. A slann's magic can make up for the lack of troops by providing support such as blasting away at a chaos warrior unit and then having the saurus finish them off among other things and so I believe is a wise investment, even in 2000 points.

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
i'll agree that a 2nd generation slann is a great investment, but from experience, a stupid one in games of 2k, think of the logic
1 fully upgraded slann with battle standard, plaque of protection, tepok = 585
12 temples w/ shields & full comand = 251
2 skink priests lvl2 = 200

total for great magic and a descent bodyguard = 1036pts (!)

suddenly you don't hav much of an army to counter the enemys, and your slann is doin all the work to try and get his points worth back as well as supporting whats left of his army.

You must admit though 2nd gen is great to play with

no offense if a caused any...

-Kai-Itza-

Edited due to use of 'U' and 'Gr8'. Do not use such wording, spell it out properly or do not post at all. - KU

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think what was meant was that a 2nd generation slaan on his own can be a good investment. No body guard, and no supporting priests (that gives you WAY too much magic anyway). A 2nd gen slaan on his own can give you a decent amount of magic to support. Just keep him in a safe place with that 2+ ward save item against shooting and he should be alright. Think about the magic...2 basic + 4 for 4th level slaan + for item that gives you extra + extra free dice on each spell + the +1 to cast and dispell + lots of spells + With a Diadem of Power that is potentiall another 2 power! (However, to take the item that gives you extra power and dispel dice and diadem of power and item that gives extra spell means losing the 2+ ward to shoothing...but if you keep him safe and use spells that don't require line of site he can be a VERY powerful support unit....At least I think so, never used one before :D)....:O

EDIT: You could however just have a lvl 1 skink priest as a scroll caddy for extra magic protection (you could have 6 dispel dice and 1 or 2 scrolls with that if you give the slaan the item for extra power and dispel dice....on top of that you have your +1 to cast and dispel.....and another power dice from the lvl 1 priest.....Good magic, not too over the top in my opinion either (8 power dice + Diadem of Power + free power dice on each spell? Maybe Diadem would not be needed, but still decent magic!).
In fact, I am going to write my first ever Lizardmen army list with a slaan in it! (maybe...not too keen on magic...)

Kai-Itza said:
spell it out properly or do not post at all. - KU
Grumpy! lol, you mods must get sick of changing those things hehe, that's just Gr8t! (sorry....) :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts