Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some disagreements with other ork players at a tournament over the weekend, over the new codex. I was wondering if anyone could help shed some light.

1. Mad Doc Grotznik's ability 'one scalpel short of a medpack' states that he, and any unit he's attached to, always moves and assaults the nearest enemy. Do they mean the nearest enemy within sight, or the nearest enemy period?

2. When the looted wagon goes 12in in a random direction, from rolling a 1 for the 'don't press that' roll, what happens when they reach impassible terrain? Do they stop, or does something else happen? What about if they run into your own troops? Do your troops give way, does the wagon stop, or does something else happen?

Thank you!

·
569 Posts
#1 - Not sure on that as ist moving and assaulting and not shooting. If it were shooting, like the Chaos Dreadnaught, it would require LoS, but in this case I am not sure.

#2 - First off, it goes max speed straight ahead, not a random direction. Also, it states it goes "as far as possible". As you can not move through your own units nor impassible terrain (nor off the board) you would stop short of these things.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh...no

It's true, you can't tank shock your own troops, but after asking around, it seems unlikely that your vehicle would stop for them. In these cases, the units make way for the vehicle, but don't have to make any leadership checks.

If troops do stop it, then all you need is a single model in front of it to make sure it doesn't go anywhere, and that seems unlikely. I do, however, agree that impassable terrain would stop it.

A followup question for that is if they still count as having moved 12in, even if they weren't able to move that far. Also, is it perfectly forward, or do they move around impassable things? If they move perfectly forward, you could just start the game with it slightly against impassable terrain, and it'll be fine.

All signs point to the Mad doc charging the nearest unit, not just line of sight. I guess he can smell his prospective patients in the air. ;)

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Actually, vehicles CANNOT be moved through their own units. Since it is a move, and does not require a tank shock, the vehicle would or should by default stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So to prevent any trouble, a good idea would be to put a big mek with SAG right infront of it to stop it from going forward, heck it can even repair the boomgun if it gets broken. Or you can put some lootas, with a mek in them in front of it too for the same effect.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow

So to prevent any trouble, a good idea would be to put a big mek with SAG right infront of it to stop it from going forward, heck it can even repair the boomgun if it gets broken. Or you can put some lootas, with a mek in them in front of it too for the same effect.
That's the best idea I've heard all day.

I think my lootas, with a mek, have a new place to stand on the board. It will be a tempting target for ordnance, but as always, that's one less shot going towards my trukks.

I could also place a big mek with a shokk attack gun in front of it, but if that wagon explodes, it could be very expensive.

·
569 Posts
NOTE: This is an old thread that I have resurrected! Don't respond directly to any of the posts above this one.

Has anyone had any issues with rolling a 1 on Don't Press Dat, but having the wagon move less than 6" and still firing? Had this come up over the weekend and my friend questioned the legality of me still firing. I said a) I moved as far as possible, which was 1" and thus could still fire and b) "I'm playing Orks, if they believe they can fire, then they can fire"...

That said, I just want to confirm that this is legal. We are starting up a campaign soon and I don't want to use this ruling, then realize 1/2 way through the campaign that I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
This is all in the FAQ, my friends!

Q. If a Looted Wagon rolls a ‘1’ for “Don’t Press
Dat” what happens if the forced movement takes
them into friendly models, impassable terrain or
off the table?

A. The vehicle stops as soon as it comes into
contact with friendly models, impassable terrain
or the table’s edge.
(Last entry of page 3)

Q. If a Looted Wagon rolls a ‘1’ for “Don’t Press
Dat”, but is unable to complete its move (or
even to move at all) because it is blocked by
something it cannot move through (friendly
models, etc), does it still count as having moved
for the purposes of shooting?

A. Yes, regardless of how far it actually moves,
the Wagon always counts as having moved at full
speed.
(First entry of page 4)

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1810080_Orks_FAQ_2007_5th_Edition.pdf

And.. that is actually the idea for one of my lists :) 3x Loota Boyz Mobz infront of Boomgun Wagons... But I think I'm going to go for a more cost effective Big Gunz.. I've got plenty of unused WFB Empire artillery bitz, and the new Grotz Box is only $15... STEAL!

I ran a 2,500 point list with Loota Boyz and Boomgun Wagons.. and crushed dem supa 'umies! It was so disgusting! Except.. the only thing in range of my one SAG Mek (haha, get that..) was the front armor of a Rhino. I kept shooting it, hoping it would scatter over a nearby Combat Squad.. but instead, for four turns in a row it rolled Direct Hits and Double 4's for damage! (Sploosh.. The snotlings exit the tunnel in an explosive spray of bone and gore.) That fecking Rhino!! For a solid hour it sat there watching a warp hole repeatedly sunder apart reality and vomit green gore all over its armor-plas visors..

*Casually flicks the windshield wipers*
"Oi.. Foebane.. you have any more BBQ protein gel? I'm getting hungry up here!"

EDIT: And that is why I love Shokk Attack Guns!

·
569 Posts
Man, my game is way off lately. I've been asking questions I already knew the asnwers too. Forgot this was in the FAQ, thanks. And on that note, guess I shouldn't have fired the Boomwagon the 1 turn my Orks "pressed that"... oops...

Ok, the FAQ question asked if the Wagon cannot move at all due to being blocked and the answer was it cannot fire. What if the Wagon is immobilized? Though with my current streak this is likely covered in the codex or something... lol...

·
205 Posts
Oh, this one is definitely a little hazy...

5th Ed. Rulebook, page 61, Immobilized results : "[a immobilized vehicle] may not move for the rest of the games...may not turn in place, but its turret...and other weapons retain their normal arc of fire."

The Don't Press Dat Rule says the vehicle must move directly forward "as far as possible". In this case, as far as possible is not at all because you're immobilized. The FAQ says that it counts as moving even if "it's unable to...even move at all". So I'd vote that regardless of being immobilized you still roll for don't press dat and on a 1 you simply can't fire your guns.

I guess we could assume that even though the looted wagon has been immobilized the Orks don't necessarily realize why the wagon isn't moving forward since it's not their tech and in an Orky attempt to keep it moving they hit a bunch of buttons that confuse the weapon system, shake the wagon, or something else to that effect.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Or start a brawl over who gets to push da boom button.

Either way, it seems pretty clear to me. No matter what, every turn you must roll for Don't Press Dat. If you roll a '1', no matter what, it counts as having moved at full speed.

On the other hand.. we could insist that despite being immobilized, we rolled a '1' and therefore it "counts as" and can only be hit on '6's. Not my style though.. especially considering that the question being answered is in reference to shooting...

·
569 Posts
On the other hand.. we could insist that despite being immobilized, we rolled a '1' and therefore it "counts as" and can only be hit on '6's. Not my style though.. especially considering that the question being answered is in reference to shooting...
That was my next Q, what if its immobile, they press dat and then its assulated. One thought could be that after pressing so many buttons the wagon is shaking, rattling and looks as if it will blow, causing assaulting units to be weary... lol...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.