Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A question came up during a game that oddly never came up before with my gaming group.

When casting a spell, let's say a standard magic missle like fireball, the wizard declares the spell he is casting and the target he is casting it at. If he successfully casts the spell but the target is out of range is the spell still cast just as shooting is handled? Or is the range measured to determine if the target is legal to be cast at with the spell to begin with?

I know there are spells that say cast "anywhere within X inches" which allows you to place the 'ground zero' point of the spell, but this differs from what I am asking.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Distances are measured after the spell has been successfully cast (i.e. after power dice have been rolled and after your opponent has rolled dispel dice lower or chosen not to dispel). If the spell is not in range after this measurement, the spell essentially does nothing.

It is very similar to shooting in that you must declare it first, only real difference is all shooting is declared at once, and for magic you do one spell at a time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.