Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick backstory

Unit of ogres has troll guts (2 Magic Resistance + Regen). Ogre player has no dispell dice, I activate Kanopi.

Can the Ogre player use the magic resistance of the unit with troll guts to stop my Kanopi from going off.

Enkhil's Kanopi

Bound Item, Power Level 4.

If activated successfully, all Remains in Play spells on the tabletop are automatically dispelled.

Magic Resistance (1-3)

...The number in the brackets indicates the maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled when trying to dispell each spell that affects the magically resistance model. These can either be used on their own against any spell targeted against the unit, or in combination with....

My personal logic from reading both is that since the kanopi is not targeting any unit, but instead targeting the entire board, or the spells themselves. This also seems like it over-counters kanopi, as there is no chance that I will ever get it to remove remains in play spells if the remains in play spells stop it from ever going off.

I'm a little fuzzy on my friends logic, but it ends with him dispelling it with his magic resistance dice.

I don't know if any hard rule has been made on it, lemme know if anyone has the answer to this.

Thx alot for your time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It might be possible, I think, if the spell affects the unit (such as them having some buff cast on them), but if the spell has nothing to do with the unit with magic resistance, I don't think it would count.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here you go... right from their Website:
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2220025_Warhammer_FAQ_part2_Feb_2009
Look up magic resistance, in the pdf search function and you'll get something like this:

Page 95, Magic Resistance, first paragraph. The
second sentence should be replaced with:
‘The number in the brackets indicates the
maximum number of extra dice that may be rolled
when trying to dispel each spell that is targeted
against the magically resistant unit.'

You guys really aught to look at the Main Rules Errata as affecting units no longer constitutes them getting magic resistance, you must target them for them to get the Magic Res. Lots of little nuance rules and such that can make a HUGE difference like this one.

Thus, when you look at the Errata - NO he does not get his magic resistance as you are not targetting the unit at all. This is something of an issue concerning the casket of souls as well, if you'd like I'll post that arguement here real quick as well (i have both sides summed up and saved quickly as a word doc that i could copy/paste here). Unit not targeted - thus NO resistance - its very clear in the Main Warhammer Rule book Errata to me. To be honest, its one of the few rules that they have actually cleared up in a somewhat logical manner.

Hope I helped!

·
High Priest of LO
1,928 Posts
Boskie43 has already pointed out everything you need to know :p His MR would not work there, since they aren't your target. They're only "under the effect" of it, not a target ;)

//Nagash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.