Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to magnetize my Land Speeders so I can have interchangeable weapon systems. SOOOOO I figured I would ask all you nice people here! How do you magnetize you're units? Space Marines or not, open thread, the more ideas the better!

·
397 Posts
I use these.

K&J Magnetics - Products

For smaller things like guns and body parts the crazy small 1/16" dia. x 1/32" work great. For bigger stuff I use the 1/8" and they hold pretty well. To put them in I'll drill a hole in the bit to be swapped, stick the magnet in and press the hell out of it with something flat to make sure it's not poking out. Then dot it with paint, squarely press it into where it's going to be, then use that mark to drill my other hole in the main piece. Then I stick a new magnet to the one that's been glued into the bit and use that to press it into the main piece. That way I don't screw up polarities.
To add more options I just flip that around. Paint the main piece magnet, drill, new magnet on the base piece, stick the bit into position. Then all your options are sure to have the correct polarity too. Before I started doing that the magnet would inevitably flip right as I put it into the hole and get stuck. So I'd be digging it out with an x-acto for 20 minutes.

Random tips
-Drill the holes slightly bigger and deeper than the magnet so you can test that it's flush without it getting stuck.
-You can find nice mini-drill bits in the Dremel section at hardware stores with specific diameters to match up with whatever magnets you get.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice pete! Thanks for the link I'll be ordering some shortly.

If you wouldnt mind, possibly post some pics of the process you do. This would help many of us on here.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
I play "Lego Marines" - all the squad leaders are magnetized. Most tanks can swap weapons, attack bikes can replace guns with land speeders, which also have magnets to stick anything that you want on them. I have a zip baggie full of arms that I can give to many models. In general, plastic models will be easy to magnetize with the magnets that you already have a link to from "thepete".

A cool trick to simply your life - when you magnetize both arms on a model, pick the polarity of your magnets so that left arm can only go on the left side of a torso, whereas right arm will only stick to the right side of the torso ;)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a good idea distinguishing left from right with polarity. Thanks!

Also now that GW is doing all plastic kits it seems, this swapping will come in handy and save money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts