Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I am currently working on my top secret project, hence to say it is a bit extreme.
I don’t want to give to much a way but it is a themed 40K force which is made up of hundreds of crazy conversions,
but I really need some advice.
Before I go all the way with this new army I really have to consider one thing.
This army is very very weak. It will look great and I could put money on it that
the idea has not been used much before so I will have a very unique force.
But I will most likely lose every battle, of this I have no doubt.
So my question is a themed army which could be totally unique worth losing every time?

·
Dusk Phantom
713 Posts
Yes I have to ask 'Will you have fun' with this army despite your tremendous losses. And will you have fun in the constant conversion process + assembly + painting said army. If the answer to all those is yes, go for it is what I'd say. Personally I believe a project of that magnitude to never win is... well a headache. Personally I screwed up quite a bit myself because I have 5300+ High Elves and no one ever wanted to fight me, even when I said I'd lower the amount. But that's neither here nor there.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Depends whether you Sir are a masochist or a sadist....

I think if you are neither (I truly hope LO does not attract attention of deviants), you will be unhappy with such army in a long run (errr, just about after you are done with the modeling and painting part of the project).

;o

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
A themed army can still be good at somthing. Constant losing is only really fun once in a while as you will feel compelled to try to win just because they are lovely looking and that will be very defeating. If you really want to do it then go for a small army, no more than a thousand or so points and only play with them for pure fun. If you have less points than your opponent then you can almost always claim a moral victory and have fun, fun, fun.

Depends whether you Sir are a masochist or a sadist....

I think if you are neither (I truly hope LO does not attract attention of deviants), you will be unhappy with such army in a long run (errr, just about after you are done with the modeling and painting part of the project).

;o
Poor deviants, they can't help it. I wonder though; what would Freud say..?

·
426 Posts
True, if you won't have fun with it, maybe it's not that great of an idea.

Of course, you could convert this whole army, and then have it all --count-as-- so you'll actually have an effective fighting force.

·
Registered
136 Posts
armies that are themed to the extreme are usually very fun. though i cant understand why you assume you are going to lose every time. i mean if your army is the same points as the opponets you should be able to do some things well. tell us the general composition of your force without giving away the theme. such as, its an elite or numerouse force that is fast/slow moving and is better at range/ melee.

these things may help you find the strengths of your army so that it will be more fun to play.

SL

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
O.k, well I don’t want to ruin my surprise unveiling. so I can’t give away too much.

It’s a horde army, with little anti tank firepower. Tho it will include a M.C or two.
It mostly uses cheap troops with short range firepower, but at a push numbers will help
In melee.

Like I said, I really don’t want to giveaway too much. And I may well be surprised at how they perform once I play with them. I already play ‘nids so I am use to being outgunned a lot of the time. I don’t really want to turn this into a moaning session or try and declare myself a martyr because I have chosen a woefully weak list.
I was just curious to see if others would pick a force that looks great and is (well hopefully) fun to play,
EVEN IF YOU LOST EVERY BATTLE , Would that put anyone off?

·
Registered
136 Posts
well in that case, against some armies, those with balanced anit tank and anti personel wepons, you will fare well because they may lack the amount of anit horde to down all your men.

as too your question, if the army is fun to play, of course i would do it. alot of how fun an army is comes from what kind of army you like to play and whether or not you like to slowly advance your unstoppable army or have fun with your army that you made. this may seem extreme but to some extent the army should be an extension of you, and if your happy with that extension then your army will be fun.

thats my 2 cents

SL

·
Registered
281 Posts
Here's another take on the potential situation.

Assume that someone else in your gaming group did such an army, highly themed but constantly gets whooped. Would you want to play him every single weekend for example? Would you play for example a full AV14 vehicle list against someone who totes only strength 3 weapons and no grenades? Most people don't want to slaughter someone every single time, it really does not provide a good experience.

Make the army playable at the least, even infantry based armies can survive against tank heavy lists with the right amount of lascannons and missile launchers for example. Just don't select especially weak army lists (like my strength 3 weapon army example) and call it "themed".

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I think that if you are going to enjoy the project, and will have fun using the army then it will be definatly worth it. Im currently working on a WHFB Araby army using the Dogs of War list- i know that the army is going to be horribly inadequate against almost every opponent it plays as the list is itself old and out of date and im limiting myself against using some of the better troop types because they dont fit in with how i want to go with the army, but do i care? no! ive got other armies that are better designed game wise and this is my vanity project.

So i say go for it, if there werent people willing to do this sort of thing the game would be much poorer for it.

·
166 Posts
My short answer: DO IT.

I've posted a number of times about my own pet project: a 40K Beastmen army themed around the Lost and the Damned. Since the time I started this project, I've developed my background to the point that I've invested at least half my soul into it, and I've watched the LatD army list get flushed down the toilet. In spite of this, I'm still building the models, and I bought the old CSM Codex as a reference for the LatD list.

Let's face it; the Lost and the Damned is not a powerful list, but I don't care. It represents best the kind of army I wanted to make. Maybe if I can find something else to represent it just as well, I'll take that instead, but for now, I plan to continue as is.

Besides, I highly doubt that any list will lose every time. Your opponent has to roll his share of 1's, too! Or, you can just set your own objectives: "This game, I'm going to wipe out that squad, and forget about the rest." There's more than one way to have fun with this game/hobby!

Maybe when we're both finished, we should meet up, and have the most creative-looking battle ever fought! (At the rate I'm going, that should be a couple of years...)

·
166 Posts
Actually, I just thought of something else that may help you.

If you want to be sure that your models will work the way you want, start with a couple "Proof of Concept" models. Get the pieces you need by buying one sprue at a time from GW's online store, or get individual bitz from Battlewagon Bits at BattleWagon BITS Home Page. That way, you can see how everything fits together and see whether you like the end result, before you spend lots more on a full box of parts that you'll never use.

I only started doing this recently; I got lucky when I started my Beastmen that the Cadians worked well enough to get away with it. Meantime, I've got a Centigor that I need to proof out, and then I can start on that squad.

·
1,065 Posts
boomer, it'll make every victory all the sweeter! plus, as the creater of the army, you only have to write the fluff in the more "important" (victorious) battles! lol

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Themed armies don't always have to be about limiting your choices. You can use the "count as" rule, just as long as your opponent knows and they perhaps have some resemblance towards what they are suppose to be. Even so, a simple theme can be done via paint scheme and some conversion work to make them stand out.

For instance, my Scions of Ra are only painted with a theme in mind. I will do conversion work when I get around to it like, and I can expand easily. Look: Scions Photo's

Kuffy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.