Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit:
I've had a few requests from people who wanted to see some pictures of the models fully assembled and painted before they decided whether or not they wanted to join the club and get some for themselves, so I painted some up for all to see. I'm not the best painter in the world, but I think you'll still enjoy seeing how this project has gone from concept to reality.
Just click on a thumbnail to see the full pic. :)

It occured to me yesterday that those of us who want our cadian armies to be fluffy and contain both genders intead of just one don't have to wait around for to see if GW or forgeworld might eventually decide to release something in a decade or so. We can make it happen ourselves. All we would need is 8 or 9 players willing to throw in $40.00. With the pooled resources, we would have enough to hire a professional sculptor to make a torso and a couple sets of legs entirely out of greenstuff. (In fact, I've already got someone lined up) Since the parts are made out of greenstuff, they can be cast without breaking any rules, and everyone who donated to the project would get enough parts for their needs.
Even if we only had 3 or 4 people, that would still be enough to make a torso and cast it.

So, I'm looking to see if there are any players out there who would like to seriously make this happen.

·
Registered
349 Posts
um, you might want to try getting money more locally from people that know you and trust you with their money, this sounds too much like a scam for most people on the net to even consider it.

If anyone wants a female guard army I dont think it would be extremly difficult to think of a kind of imperial cult of just women and using models from the witch hunters range of models with something like carapace armour as a fluff excuse for their better looking armour.

Just bouncing ideas.

·
Dawn Under Heaven
3,577 Posts
I don't think they'd be much different, apart from the faces it'd be pretty hard to tell they were women under all that Flak armour and equipment.

Unless... No... You're not really considering getting some breast shaped Flak armour for Cadians are you? :wacko: There really is no need, and it hardly fits the theme of the Imperial Guard which is:

"Here's your gun, here's your armour. Point your gun at the enemy and pull the trigger. NEXT!"

·
Staying out of trouble
1,838 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seriously, I think you should consider the concept behind this a little better.

Female soldiers can and usually do wear the same breastplates as male troopers. It's a little tight, but breasts are awful shot traps, and get in the way of all sorts of things. There is utterly no purpose in giving your Cadians molded female breastplates other than to declare how over the top you have made your female models. It's the sort of thing from the school of ridiculously over the top model design that GW currently subscribes to (NEEDS MORE SKULLS!!!). And I'm sure the Cadians don't appreciate that kind of attitude,:sleep:

You also mentioned legs. Erm, legs? Last time I checked men and women had 100% identical looking legs under a pair of overalls which Cadians wear. Seriously, I can't even imagine what you were planning with this one.

Even heards strikes me as a little redundant. You can bet your ass that every Cadian shaves his hair to a few milimitres. Think they'd make an exception for the women? No way they would. Those Cadians are hard nosed gits. Everything must be sacrificed for military power.

That said of course, there ARE female Cadians, and if (or when, let's be honest) I ever collect a Cadian based army, I will include them. But really, the only thing you need to do to produce a female Cadian is maybe get a scalpel and trim back those immense chins the faces have so that you have a couple of models with slightly more delicate cheek bones. Really. That's all you have to do. Anything else is just... silly.

·
Son of LO
5,146 Posts
I would love to see female Cadians..

What I really don't want to see is models picked off the runway and let loose on the battlefield.. I want badass shaven headed military chicks, every bit as scarred and dangerous and tough as Cadian men. ;P

On a more serious note, we're talking about a society in which mothers personally kill their children if they show any sign of weakness. Cadian women are hard, they should look hard, in my opinion.

I say write to forgeworld.. Don't try and do it yourself, you'll just get substandard results and you won't be able to use them in competitions.

Here's an idea, how about we set up an LO petition to forgeworld suggesting that to do some female Cadians? I'd definately consider collecting an army if they did. :p They give you a window to ask for ideas when you buy their products, so I don't think it'd be beyond the pale.

On a fluff note, I believe the reason all the current Cadian models are men is that Cadian regiments are gender segragated (then presumably 'integrated' at certain points when command feels there's time for some reproduction, to save on the logistical problems of women carrying babies around during campaign) so Cadian females would probably be part of an all female regiment..

I also agree with the others.. Basically, you just need head swaps.. maybe a few veterans stripped down to flak vests for easy movement. Flak armour with moulded breasts would just look stupid.. not that GW doesn't do things like that already. :p

·
durus
2,771 Posts
I you really wanted to do it, you could take some of the Sisters, Catachan girls, and some Eldar females and put them on your Cadians? It would be expensive but work.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the concept art, originally drawn by The Green Witch on 40K online:

The sculptor used to sculpt for Cell Emtertainment, which was responsable for such things as Krash, Ronin, 1999, Hybrid, and some others.
Here's a link to some of his work on CMON. Obviously, this example is a lot bustier then what we would want for a female cadian, but I think it shows that he has the skills to pull this off.

Sample

·
Registered
313 Posts
Simple, just get some extra Eldar bits, and with some simple conversions, you have a female head on your Guardsman body.

As for sculpting an entire new model, thats taking things a little too far. Where I work, we get people in military uniforms all the time, and you cannot tell the difference between a male and female soldier, until they are close enough to see their face (and thats without any armour on, thats just the regular uniform). Unlike the movies and video games, female troops do not wear "form-enhancing" clothes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Simple, just get some extra Eldar bits, and with some simple conversions, you have a female head on your Guardsman body.

As for sculpting an entire new model, thats taking things a little too far. Where I work, we get people in military uniforms all the time, and you cannot tell the difference between a male and female soldier, until they are close enough to see their face (and thats without any armour on, thats just the regular uniform). Unlike the movies and video games, female troops do not wear "form-enhancing" clothes.
I agree. After donning their armor, a Cadian is a Cadian regardless of sex. As others have mentioned, every feature that distinguishes between a male and female body will be hidden by the armor. The only thing showing will be the face, and I doubt anyone is a good enough painter to display the differences there. Honestly, this just sounds like a ploy to get an army you can place on the table and say "lol, my army has boobies".

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm just going to throw my 2 pence (or cents, whatever) in on this topic, being an active duty Soldier currently deployed to Iraq. You can definitely tell the difference between men and women in uniform, but the differences aren't quite what you'd think. Biggest difference (and not always the case) is the stature, most women are, on average, shorter than the average male, so that can be an indicator. Second would be naturally the face, although seeing some of the women on this base, I'd argue that there is a difference! The last one would be the subtle differences in skeleton and musculatur (how female hips are, and how legs are positioned different when compared to men. That however would be difficult to model, methinks. Just my observations.

-Felix

·
Dawn Under Heaven
3,577 Posts
Here's the concept art, originally drawn by The Green Witch on 40K online:

The sculptor used to sculpt for Cell Emtertainment, which was responsable for such things as Krash, Ronin, 1999, Hybrid, and some others.
Here's a link to some of his work on CMON. Obviously, this example is a lot bustier then what we would want for a female cadian, but I think it shows that he has the skills to pull this off.

Sample
That picture is pretty good. Although the breastplate isn't body enhancing, it's different from standard armour. I'd stick with plain cadian armour.

Personally, I'm not willing to enter a deal like this online with a new member that few people could really vouch for. However, if there were models similar to the picture you have provided I wouldn't have a problem integrating them into my army. I could fix the helmet issues by using some of the spare helmets and hollowing them out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just wanted everyone to know that we have enough people on board and the project is a-go. The instructions have been sent to the sculptor and sculpting will begin shortly. The deadline for anyone else who wants to get onboard is February 26th. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hate to rain on your little pararde but have you checked into how much making a mold is, I mean having it professionally done so you could create the pieces over again? We are talking a lot more than 40 bucks a piece at what ever number you got into this little project. You may be able to pay for the sculptor but the casting is going to be the wrench in your gears. I was looking into making a cast of a cadian box set to see if it would be cheaper that way. Wrongo. I would do a little more checking into the mold casting part of your little project. As far as female cadians, I'm with everyone here who thinks some head swaps would work, heck, you could even get some ponytails of CSM models, and there are even some hair on the end of some of the chainswords that could be used.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts