Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been playing 40k for a few years now and started with an Eldar army and then moved on to Necron but, after tiring of those two, decided to start building a Space Marine army. I did not, however, want to play as a chapter currently in existence in the 40k universe and so decided to make my own. I am new at this and would greatly appreciate help on what is generally accepted when doing this. One of the biggest questions I have is if it is accepted to have your chapter originate from a planet that is already in existence or if it is better to make up your own planet. I ask because I want to talk about my chapter when I play in local tournaments and not have to argue with local players about whether or not I'm legit. I would also like to know if it is acceptable to say they are second founding descendents of a current chapter. My chapter, for existence, originated from the White Scars. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

My chapter is currently in possession of a name, colour scheme, battlefield tactics, and a solid origin of where each of these came from.
I've named them the Shrouded Heralds and their colour scheme is a navy blue with a crimson trim. Companies are designated my diagonal stripes on the left shoulder that are either white, red, black, or silver. Veterans are designated by a grey helmet with a diagonal line across the face that is navy on color. They prefer long range and hit and run tactics, favoring squads of scouts and assault marines supported by land speeders, bike squads, and whirlwinds and are very weak when holding objectives or being stationary in battle. I can give you the full history I have written for them if you want, and would welcome any criticism on how I am doing so far so that I can build a solid chapter to call my own. Sorry for having such a long post and thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
It's perfectly fine for your chapter to originate from a current planet, but perhaps you might like to say that your chapter recruits from a separate world, as two different chapters recruiting from the same world is unheard of. It is also fine for you to say that they are Second Foundings, as many of the standard chapters are, like Black Templars, Flesh Tearers, and Crimson Fists. Speaking of Crimson Fists, your chapter has similar colours to that. You stripe and helmet idea is different, however, and the tone of the blue you have is slightly darker. Nice fluff too.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Saying they're a second founding chapter is fine, it may have been the single lagrest founding of any sinse and a lot of cannon chapters are listed as second founding, you'll fit right in.

Using an existing planet named in the fluff is fine as long as it isn't an Astartes world. Spacemarines don't share, if another chapter has dibs on this world then it's off limits.

If you havn't seen it already I recommend this thread. http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/40k-army-fluff/213157-been-working-diy-chapter-guide-tell-me-what-you-think.html

If you need help on any other parts feel free to ask. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There's certainly nothing wrong with creating your own chapter - my Frost Guard have served me quite well over the years.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Yeah, I prefer making your own chapter tbh, fluff and all. Just makes you feel so much better playing it cause you thought of everything. And yeah, having them be a 2nd founding chapter is absolutely fine, although I would hesitate personally about saying they come from an existing planet. Although if you chose a really obscure one that doesn't have a chapter already recruiting from it, that would be fine I suppose.

~ Acarna

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
More than fine, really. Picking an existing system will put your Marines on the map, so to speak, and give them instant context. Simply pick a less-famous system and be sure to conform your fluff to fit the neighborhood. (Marines near the Eye of Terror won't have a history with the Tau, Marines living near forge or shrine worlds will be more politically savvy than Marines near Armageddon, and so on.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts