Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like the idea of a few huge guys tromping around to bolster my ranks, and with the Nation of Zierheim lacking in abhumans of its own, they might cobble together a nice diesel-powered suit designed for close combat. Something that looks like this:

Helps keep up with the steampunk theme I have going, what with my army's fluff saying that their homeworld only recently began industrialization before being introduced to the galaxy at large. And these would make the perfect stand-in for an ogryn-equivilant unit.

There's just one problem; I can't picture ogryns being all that useful for their cost. I try and think up ways I could use them, but in 1000-1500 point games to field more than one unit of them takes out a huge chunk of my army, chunks that I could be using for more tanks or multiple veteran squads.

Now, I've tried to picture them in a few different roles, and usually come to one of two major uses: either march them right behind the tanks to lock up with anyone trying to assault my vehicles, or put them inside a chimera and actually play them like a short-range shooty unit that becomes a nasty charger if their transport is popped (assuming, of course, they don't end up pinned with their measley Ld 7).

I was wondering if anyone out there has found a good way to use ogryns to make them worth their points, or perhaps has a suggestion for another (legal) unit the awesome model above could represent.

·
2,076 Posts
If you convert the little gun to an autocannon you could probably count them sentinels..
They are cool looking. Probably cheaper than Ogryns too.

Ogryns are really tough to use as they cost (points and money) way too much for what they do.
Probably best used to counter assaults that reach your lines, but they can be shot up and powerfisted into submission with worrying ease, the equivalent points worth of anything else in the codex will probably do more damage and last longer..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yeah, problem is that Rough Riders have it all over them as a counter-assault unit.

When it comes right down to it, they role they need to fill is that of an effective main-line assault unit. Which means that they need to be much cheaper and be allowed to take Priests (Stupidest rule ever) to buff them in combat. This could be balanced by giving them something similar to the 'Nids synapse rule. Let's call it "Easily Distracted". If the Ogryns got more than 12" from an officer or a commissar, then their movement and ballistic skill could be cut in half.

I'd also be very interested if every Ogryn in a squad could carry a heavy weapon and fire it on the move. Assuming you made their cost 20 pts each + weapons, you could have 5 moving autocannons for 150 pts. Which wouldn't be bad at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Typing post 4th time. Pardon terseness due to impatience.

@ Omegoku: Model too small. Is on med bas in pic.

@ Sandwyrm: Agreed. Hope GW puts out errata saying accidentally made ogryns cost twice as much as should have.

·
2,076 Posts
Oh, I just assumed they were close to Ogryn Size.
You could use them as Strom Troopers I guess.

What parts you intend to use to make Ogryn sized suits?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The best use I've found for Ogryns is anti-Assault Terminators; we don't really have anything else that can do the job. They're killy enough to justify their points cost with the exception of that atrocious leadership--having to compensate for that is the only reason I don't use them much. Surely a stupid soldier would actually be braver than a really smart one?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, depending on how big the model is, you could use them for GKT. Three of those are better in every way, shape, and form than three ogryns. More expensive, yes, but super killy and actually make your opponent think twice about charging your lines.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Omegoku: I meant that the models were too small to use as sentinels. They're plenty large enough to represent ogryns as is, but an ogryn-sized model will hardly work as a sentinel.

And I've already considered the possibility of using them as GKT's, Seraphim. But I should remind you, I'm playing traitor guard, so the anti-daemon and daemonic incursion rules would be pretty hard to write off. Even just the anti-psyker stuff hardly fits the flavor of a guy in a gas-powered mech suit.

Are there any rules regarding including units from other codices in 5th ed? Like something that would allow the possibility of me including plain, old Chaos/Ultramarine termies in a guard army?

This would be a lot easier if the new Lost and Damned codex was out. xP

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We'll see if my replies actually post this time:

I already mulled over the idea of including daemonhosts in another thread; planned on using privateer press models to make 'daemon engines.' But I hit that same old bump of making it remotely competitive. For 300 points, I would only get three models, plus one extra that I would have to spend more to do anything useful with. Not to mention that for being an exclusively close-combat unit, daemonhosts are still saddled with I4. Though they do sound like they'd be fun to play with.

I might end up going with ogryns anyway; for less than the value of three daemonhosts, I could get two three-man squads of ogryn. On that note, I would like to turn the discussion back to figuring out how to use them effectively.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run a 5 man Ogryn squad with a Primaris Psyker in my 1500 point games and they're awesome. I don't think they'd be a good choice for tournaments but they still shouldn't be underestimated. Ogryns can work. You just have to use them carefully. Keep them in a chimera and rush them up the field, or behind a russ and only move them 6 inches a turn and blast the enemy with the psyker untill you can close the distance. Against ranged armies nightshroud will keep them from getting shot up. Including the psyker with the squad will also make them Ld9 and provide the squad the much needed power/force weapon in CC.
That squad can usually go up against melee squads of the equal points and win. Not to mention they also carry around ripper guns which are going to force your opponent to make a lot of saves before you assault them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Primaris psyker joining an Ogryn squad? That's a combination I never tought of. How would that work with their Stubborn rule for losing close combat, though? Would you always use ld 9, would your leadership never get reduced to less than 7, or would something completely different happen?

It's definately an idea that has some merit, especially with the nightshroud to keep them for being shot up as much as they move across the field. I always just thought of sticking them with a lord comissar just to keep the stubborn rule consistent.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
masterslowpoke said:
The Ogryns would lose Stubborn if joined by a Primaris Psyker.
No, the Ogryns remain stubborn. It's the character that loses his rule when joining a unit.

Axle_Gear said:
I could get two three-man squads of ogryn. On that note, I would like to turn the discussion back to figuring out how to use them effectively.
My experience is that it's better to have one large squad than two small ones due to their low initiative.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts