Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like the title says would a mostly marauder army work? That is spending more points an marauders on foot and on horse than Warriors in the core slot. So maybe like one unit of warriors and one unit of knights. Then spend more points on powerful characters and monsters. As Marauders have the same stats and up grades as empire swordsmen I wouldn't think they can be that bad. I think marauders just get a bad rap because of how bad they are compared to everything in the WoC list. They always die because they are the easiest to kill.

Debate!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I think it works, I've been having a lot of fun running a list like this. it's 150 marauders in total with a lord that floats around, a squad of knights, and two squads of dragon ogres it works pretty well I think. The problem that other armies have with it is it's so much to kill..a predominately shooty army will do fair against it though

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Same stats as empire guys, but when do you ever see an all state trooper army?

It could work though, because with slaanesh, they'll pretty much have to kill each unit to the man.

·
Blistering Barnacles!
895 Posts
Same stats as empire guys, but when do you ever see an all state trooper army?
I've seen one before :) 150 state troops and 4 wizards in 2000pts is scary, too much CR. WoC should work the same, less versatile but better support and slaneesh will seriously buff the units.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Marauder blocks with embedded characters are one of my favorite units from the book, and a large part of the reason why I chose the WoC army. We don't have many units in our army capable of generating as much combat res as 4 ranks of marauders with a standard and standard bearer on the charge.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I mark most of my units Slaanesh, but I certainly don't expect the Marauders to stack up very long. Even if you put the stubborn banner nearby, ld 7 ain't that grand. They're going to lose combat with their mediocre WS, Str, and armor save. If you're using several units of them, there aren't enough exalteds to go around and add some punch.

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well here is a quick list i came up with.

Daemon Prince of tzeentch lvl 4 Tendrils of tzeencth, fury of the blood god
Sorcerer of Tzeencth lvl 2 Book of secrets, power familiar, disc of tzeentch
Sorcerer of Nurgle lvl 1 Dispell scroll
Exalted Hero of Slaanesh axe of Khorne, shield

Marauders LA, Shields MoS Full command x25
Marauders LA, Shields MoS Full command x24
Marauders LA, GW MoS Full command x24
Horsement LA, Flails, MoS Musician x5
Horsemen LA, flails, MoS Musician x5

Dragon ogres 2 hand weapons x3

Total 1999pts

The reason I brought this up was I was interested in a cultist themed army using the marauder stat line and I was wondering how competitive this type of list would be.

Then again What would be the best Lord/Hero choices and what Rare/ Special choices would be best to support them, (I think it is agreed that 100% marauders would not be that good)

·
Registered
247 Posts
well here is a quick list i came up with.

Daemon Prince of tzeentch lvl 4 Tendrils of tzeencth, fury of the blood god
Sorcerer of Tzeencth lvl 2 Book of secrets, power familiar, disc of tzeentch
Sorcerer of Nurgle lvl 1 Dispell scroll
Exalted Hero of Slaanesh axe of Khorne, shield

Marauders LA, Shields MoS Full command x25
Marauders LA, Shields MoS Full command x24
Marauders LA, GW MoS Full command x24
Horsement LA, Flails, MoS Musician x5
Horsemen LA, flails, MoS Musician x5

Dragon ogres 2 hand weapons x3

Total 1999pts

The reason I brought this up was I was interested in a cultist themed army using the marauder stat line and I was wondering how competitive this type of list would be.

Then again What would be the best Lord/Hero choices and what Rare/ Special choices would be best to support them, (I think it is agreed that 100% marauders would not be that good)
When I field a marauder army, all of the characters are in with the marauders. For 6 points, marauders with light armour and shields are a good value and cheap enough to field in massive blocks, but admittedly they don't have that much hitting power. What they are good for, though, is staying around and generating massive static CR.

I would drop the DP for a chaos lord, go magic defense versus offense with two unmarked level 2's (Lore of Death) and magic items to give you dispelling power and 8 power dice. Keep the BSB, and pair him with a sorc. in one unit and the Lord and a sorc. in another unit. I'd also trade in the third marauder unit for some dogs and spawn since it doesn't seem you're using horsemen for redirection and harassment. Also, dropping the MoS in favour of the MoT will give your soft guys more staying power. Put your combat characters on Daemonic Mounts to make your units immune to Fear (and effectively Terror) and for the extra str 5 attacks. Always, always mount characters, especially on standard steeds, as there is no cheaper way to give your characters +2 armour save. You will never, ever play a game where those are wasted points.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with the above almost completely. I would stay on offense with the magic because realistically your army lacks punch. Taking some offensive lores allows you to strike at your enemy with some sort of power before and i guess during the combat starts to stagnate everything.

·
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well that was just a list I made in like 20 minutes so yeah. I agree that the characters should probably go in the units. The thing is I played some armies recently with Killing blow and they just cut threw sorcerers and it gets sad seeing 160pt model killed by an executioner, irony?

I have never placed models on mounts in infantry units before, how do the rank bonuses work?

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
You count for as many models as you displace. A steed would count for 1 model in each of the first 2 ranks and a demonic steed counts as 2 each. Meaning a unit of 6 with a demonic mount can go 5x2 and claim a rank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just for kicks, have no idea how this army would fare, but comprising entirely from Core Units (all marauders except for 3 trolls)

Lord

Vilitch - 395 pts

Heroes
Wulfrik - 185 pts
Troll King - 175 pts

Core
3 x Trolls - 135 pts

14 Marauders (Wulfriks Unit)
Full command armed with Light Armour / Shields / Flails + MOS - 128 pts

25 Marauders
Full command armed with Light Armour / Flails + MOS - 180 pts

25 Marauders

25 Marauders

25 Marauders
Full command armed with Light Armour Flails + MOS - 180 pts

5 Marauder Horsemen
Armed with Flails + MOK, Chieftain and Musician - 123 pts

5 Marauder Horsemen

5 Marauder Horsemen

5 Marauder Horsemen

5 Warhounds - 30 pts

1,966 Total

Not often you can field 145 Models in a WOC 2,000 point army

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.