Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking at running a block of 20 marauders with LA / shields / command as a center piece of my army (with a sorcerer in there). The two options I was looking at was either having mark of slaanesh on the unit and a regular level 2 nurgle sorc. on a steed, or running the block with mark of tzeentch with festus in there. The second option would give me a 5+/6+/5+ save, which is pretty sweet for a block of marauders. I could also run the marauders with mark of slaanesh with festus in there to get a 5+/5+. What are peoples opinions?

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
Festus is very easy to kill and so are marauders. I think that anything that hit the unit would roll through it. You need a combat hero in there to make more combat res for you, since the marauders die so fast. I'd also think about throwing another 5-10 models into the unit.

I've never been able to get a unit of 20 marauders do anything but die.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm now thinking of dropping some points from other units and changing my maruader block of 20 to a warrior unit of 11 with MoS, the rapturous standard and festus. Every game I've played with my marauders has seen them wiped out in one round of combat and I think the warriors would provide me with a stronger core.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every game I've played with my marauders has seen them wiped out in one round of combat and I think the warriors would provide me with a stronger core.
Marauders definitely do die fast in combat, however in infantry armies I typically at least take 2 units anyways, even just to soak up enemy fire for a turn. They're dirt cheap for flank guards for warriors or chosen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the only infantry in my army is the one block. Everything else is either mounted, hounds, or on discs. I just want an anvil type unit that my faster hard hitters can work around. I'd love to fit in two units of 10 marauders with MoS and flails for flank guards, but as of now the only thing that I could drop to get them would be a chariot and I'm not sure if the marauders could match the chariots effectiveness. Otherwise I'd have to change my hellcannon (the only thing I have to deal with big threats) to a shrine or something and use the points saved on the marauders.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I love blocks of marauders (and just large infantry blocks in general) because 1) they look really cool, like a huge mass of marauding northmen coming to town to f--- shit up, and 2) they are super-effective at mowing down anything your opponent has. I always use at least one block of 24 6-wide, and sometimes as many as three such units. Slaanesh and Tzeentch are my favorite marks.

The other thing I do is to put at least two characters in each unit; generally a sorcerer on foot or steed and a combat hero mounted on a daemonic mount (and their super-sweet 50mm bases.) Opponents will have to allocate their attacks on your harder-to-kill characters, and therefore fewer attacks on your marauders. If you have a BSB in there, you will almost certainly have 6 static CR in the first round of combat (3 ranks, standard, BSB, unit strength 27 or higher will outnumber most enemies) and will need to take 5 marauder casualties before your ranks drop below full strength.

Between a warshrine and the Lore of Death you have a good chance at making the marauders cause fear or terror, which is a great way to auto-break enemies (I frequently use them to get rid of annoying blocks of witch elves close to that damn cauldron.)

Getting charged by multiple units is a problem, especially a large ranked unit and a chariot, but thats what your dogs and horsemen are for, and even warriors or chosen don't generally like getting flanked. I say go for it and keep trying out different combos that work for you. I eschew the use of special characters myself, but a ranked unit of Tzeentch marauders with a hero on daemonic mount and Festus will have 4+/6+/5+ saves, be immune to fear (end effectively terror) and poisoned attacks. That's pretty much made of pure win right there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.