Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ALright this has been buggin me for a long time, who would win between a chaos marine, who has a millenia of experience, and a space marine, who has only 500 years. Say, in a match, 1v1???

SOrry if this has already been posted, well I dont it has been, so LOL.

Even though I read all these space marine novels from black library, with the space marines winning everybattle against the chaos marines, like in deus sanguinus for instance, and space wolves trilogy, I want to know why the chaos marines ALWAYS lose every single battle, or skirmish, when they have waaaay more exp then their YOUNG brethen who has only 150 years min.

(excluding the novel Iron warrior because that was waaay too many Cmarines :) )

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
R.A.P.T.O.R said:
Even though I read all these space marine novels from black library, with the space marines winning everybattle against the chaos marines
A friend of mine once stated a similar question to this.

"Why do all these 'The World Has Ended, It's The Apocalypse' books I read always have the lone survivor as the protaganist?"

My answer was simple -

"It'd be one extremely short book if the main character died in the opening chapters."

The situation is simple - in the book Eisenhorn, an Inquisitor kills a Chaos Marine in a one on one fight - why? Because had Eisenhorn lost, it would've been a very abrupt ending to the trilogy.

·
Registered
696 Posts
ok, but let's imagine for a second that the 40k universe is real, and not just a story being controlled by whoever is writing it.

Who would win in a 1 on 1 fight between a loyalist marine and a chaos marine?

The loyalist marine would have better armour and gear, as well as their unshakeable faith.

The chaos marine would have older version of armour, bolter and gear. But would have mutations and probably insanity as well, which could help.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
ok, but let's imagine for a second that the 40k universe is real, and not just a story being controlled by whoever is writing it.

Who would win in a 1 on 1 fight between a loyalist marine and a chaos marine?

The loyalist marine would have better armour and gear, as well as their unshakeable faith.

The chaos marine would have older version of armour, bolter and gear. But would have mutations and probably insanity as well, which could help.
Hmm, thats a tough question, but I think that it might just matter on who they are. Some Space Marines can beat some Chaos Space Marines and some Chaos Space Marine's can beat other Space Marines.

Im not really into fluff as much as other people [although I do enjoy reading and writing battles about all armies and the results and what happens in them (not battle reports, the stories of battles like in the codex's and rulebook)].

Ben

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its rather hard to say just one being better than the other, what with both teams (SM and CSM) being chock-full of awesomeness. Instead, lets set up a grudge match with one marine from each chapter against another!

Ultramarine VS Black Legion? Iron Hands VS Iron Warriors? Space Wolves VS Thousand Sons? White Scars VS Death Guard? Salamanders VS World Eaters? Crimson Fists VS Emperors Children?

My votes go for the Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Space Wolves, White Scars, World Eaters, and Crimson Fists. .... AND each of these teams is lucky i didn't find it prudent to match them against the might of my own chapter!

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Goblin Ninja said:
Its rather hard to say just one being better than the other, what with both teams (SM and CSM) being chock-full of awesomeness. Instead, lets set up a grudge match with one marine from each chapter against another!

Ultramarine VS Black Legion? Iron Hands VS Iron Warriors? Space Wolves VS Thousand Sons? White Scars VS Death Guard? Salamanders VS World Eaters? Crimson Fists VS Emperors Children?

My votes go for the Black Legion, Iron Warriors, Space Wolves, White Scars, World Eaters, and Crimson Fists. .... AND each of these teams is lucky i didn't find it prudent to match them against the might of my own chapter!
*giggles*

You know... The Chaos Marines would destroy the loyalists in those cases, lol. A Black Legion Marine is WAY more experienced than an Ultramarine. So on, so forth. The only one I can see winning is the Space Wolf, because he's fast enough to beat that suit of armor, IMO.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
well for background gw's love children will never lose cus they are soo far up gw's butt that they would have a difficult time finding the battlefeild. As for gamewise a cmarine hands down they are just plain better stat and option wise but tend to cost more so it evens out. however no standard loyalist could stand before a bezerker.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fallout said:
Grey knights, would kill all.

Are you sure about that? Because in the Graphic novel Daemonfuge, Book two: the lord of damnation, it shows Ephrael Stern, a sister of battle Daemonfuge, a tainted soul or weapon of chaos. SHe was a psyker who OWNED like 13 grey knights ALL AT ONCE when they attempted to kill her and Inquisitor Gideon(died) when they teleported. SO in conclusion, I think any* space marine veteran, who is strong and very skilled psyker, or none, can kill a grey knight, huh?

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
You guys talk about it like the chaos marine is trainign 24/7 the last 10k years.

they haven't,....whereas SM are still under strict training there entire lives.

Not to mention that most marines can only get SO good at their types of combat. 99% of marines(chaos or loyalist) can only get so good at fighting with a chainsworda and power armor. Its not all a big conspiracy, chaos marines simply haven't changed much in the last 10k years, most of their time spent killing helpless or unworthy foes(not much experiance there) or biding their time at home whipping slaves.

Space marines spend their whole lives fighting the most dangerous foes they can find.

Any benefit CHaos space marines have over normal marines is well represented in their codex via options, marks, etc.

So you can imagine that both sides are rather well balanced, except that in the real 40k universe their are a lot more SM than CSM,and with both relatively equal in trianing, you can see why the win ratio is the way it is.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i have to agree with Sabe. you can only get SO good at something.. just bcoz a CSM has been around for 10000 years and a SM may 'only' have 150 years.. that doesnt mean it takes any more than 150 years to MASTER their skills. so theyr both just as good.
i would argue that a CSM's sheer evil and viciousness would give him an edge, but the same could be said about a SM's sheer courage and faith etc..
however if we were betting cash, my money would be on the CSM..

·
768 Posts
I think it would be more an mental fight about who can withstand more and worse injuries than the other. because I think that they are evenly matched in skills so it would come down to the suit they wear and who hits his opponent the deadliest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
R.A.P.T.O.R said:
ALright this has been buggin me for a long time, who would win between a chaos marine, who has a millenia of experience, and a space marine, who has only 500 years. Say, in a match, 1v1???

SOrry if this has already been posted, well I dont it has been, so LOL.

Even though I read all these space marine novels from black library, with the space marines winning everybattle against the chaos marines, like in deus sanguinus for instance, and space wolves trilogy, I want to know why the chaos marines ALWAYS lose every single battle, or skirmish, when they have waaaay more exp then their YOUNG brethen who has only 150 years min.

(excluding the novel Iron warrior because that was waaay too many Cmarines :) )
I'd say that the csm would win. Not because they're older and more mental and berzerk than a loyal marine. But becuz a csm is backed up by the chaos gods, four of them actually! this is represented by all the different equipment and special abilities csm's can have. as well, a normal csm can be equipped with bp and ccw which helps when fighting a loyalist 1on1
(in close-combat i assume). well thats just my two cents.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The_Wandering_Ace said:
I'd say that the csm would win. Not because they're older and more mental and berzerk than a loyal marine. But becuz a csm is backed up by the chaos gods, four of them actually! this is represented by all the different equipment and special abilities csm's can have. as well, a normal csm can be equipped with bp and ccw which helps when fighting a loyalist 1on1
(in close-combat i assume). well thats just my two cents.

I would say the space marine because after recent replies, hes backed up the the EMPEROR, which equal to all 4 chaos gods, and* the marine has waay better equipment and weapons then csm.

ALSO, how the hell do CSM get ammo? they make their own armour too?(when they need more) do they make their own like the SM, because its been 10k years and theyre still using it like candy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
R.A.P.T.O.R said:
I would say the space marine because after recent replies, hes backed up the the EMPEROR, which equal to all 4 chaos gods, and* the marine has waay better equipment and weapons then csm.

ALSO, how the hell do CSM get ammo? they make their own armour too?(when they need more) do they make their own like the SM, because its been 10k years and theyre still using it like candy.
Well, the Emperor isn't really anything to brag about, hes a spiritual icon at most. The Emporor is an old man whos half dead that sits on a big shiny throne on Terra, who really is just left there to rot. And you dont see the Emperor granting loyalist marines special gifts like the chaos gods do. For example, csm devoted to Khorne get Blood Frenzy which will defeat practically any loyalist in 1on1 action. Or a csm devoted to Nurgle, which get stronger toughness, and even thousand sons who get double wounds! And not only that, a standard marine can get vet. skills! You won't find that with a loyalist. and the csm probably make their own ammo, since they already are 10,000 yrs old. they obviously know how to survive becuz they're still alive. :ninja:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Good fluff point...and I think this twisted apothecary dude in Chaos space marine makes geneseed somehow for the Chaos legions to create new marines.

Yah the reason why Chaos tend to lose is that SM outnumber....by a lot. But one on one they're evenly matched.......it comes down to the special stuff like Khorne Berserkers and Death Guard of Nurgle stuff. And yes I think GW made Chaos to have overpowering HQs with thier demon stuff (this is balanced by points). One on one with a Chaos SM hero really hurts. That is why when Chaos win a planet its because of some killer demons and an evil HQ lol.

SO its clear.....Chaos got demonic quality.....SM got more numbers and better equipment (with some neat stuff like Venerable and traits and landspeeders)....it balances it out.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Zephyr_the_AzureWind said:
Good fluff point...and I think this twisted apothecary dude in Chaos space marine makes geneseed somehow for the Chaos legions to create new marines.

Was wondering about this myself. How come there are any chaos marines left at all after ten thousand years ? Even the slightest attrition would have accounted for them all by now. And whose shipping them the latest variants of the tanks ?

Seems like a gap in the fluff, or have i missed a great chunk of background info somewhere ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well, given my (possibly incorrect) knowledge of the process of making new SMs, I get the impression that the whole process is contained within the chapter, not involving outsiders. As such, it seems reasonable that the defecting chaos marines would take that knowledge/technology with them.. and thus be able to make new CSMs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts