Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, playing around with the Army Book yesterday I hit upon an idea. I'm not too sure how well this will work, so hopefully someone might have tried this before.

My main counter-attacking unit is a unit of nine Knights containing my General. As a second counter-attack unit I thought about taking a unit of five Knights containing a Master Engineer on Mechanical Steed witha Repeater Pistol. This would effectively give the unit a mini-Chariot (D3 S4 impact hits) as well as a nasty suprise if they're charged (stand-and-shoot). He only adds 102pts to the unit.

I know the failings of the Master Engineer - he's under-skilled and overpriced (although I feel 102pts is reasonable for this purpose). I like the model of the Mechanical Steed too. Don't liek teh rider much but I tend to convert characters heavily anyway.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Well...I'm a state troops fanatic, and my only mounted model is a wizard lord on pegasus, so I haven't ever thought in terms of "counter-charge" units, only in terms of surviving a charge (I willingly march into your charge range). Priests and detachments help make my opponent's charge fizzle, then I've got him by the short and curlies in the second round of combat...

But, trying to think in your terms...it seems like you're doing it for the impact hits and the coolness of the mechanical steed model. Would not a priest or a captain work better overall? Seems like hatred and buffs (for the priest) and better fighty skills would do more for you than D3 impact hits...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just think it would add a slightly different dynamic to the army, he could even leave the unit depending on how far up the battlefield it gets and start hunting War Machines.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I'm not telling you not to use the guy, in fact, I always encourage people to design their lists in the direction in which their hearts lead them, I'm just saying that it's not the most effective choice from a powergaming perspective. I'd certainly use a mounted engineer in a friendly game, but not in a tournament.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts