Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, First time posting and im still a 40k newbie so go easy

I have a bunch of questions regarding the MotF and was hoping this was the place to have them answered.

1) How competitive is the MotF and which build is better?

2) Is sitting back with the conversion beamer worth it?

3) Is there a certain style of army he fits best/better in?

4) Any ideas for converting for the conversion beamer?

5) Do you guys use servitors at all? with what kit?

·
Registered
252 Posts
master of thr forge is cool with a conversion beamer. he is never a competitve as and hq choice. hes more for fun. give him a conv beamer and put him on a bike to get the best use out of the conv beamers range issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to LO and 40K!

Master of the Forge isn't competitive really... but he is a lot of fun.
I did a test-game with a friend of mine where he used the Master with conversion beamer and made full use of the six dreadnought limit rule... it was pretty effective in marines vs. marines but otherwise, someone more tactically savvy will need to give you advice there.

As for the beamer... I thought about using a Multimelta set up, cutting off the little barrels and stickin' on maybe a couple of plasma gun barrels. That might look good. If you run it with a bike, you could mount it there.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
The only reason to bring the MotF is to have a Dreadnought-themed list. I've been thinking about running MotF with servitors and 3 assault cannon Dreads as the starting-on-board support element for a Drop Pod list but haven't gotten around to experimenting.

He's too expensive as a weapons platform. If you take Octavius' advice on a biker MotF then you'll also need a bike squad for him to join. If you go with the gun-servitors then you end up with a weak and expensive squad. Devastators will do the job better.

·
Registered
252 Posts
again a master of the forge should only ever be taken on a bike. on a six foot table its easy to avoid the full power of the blast just kep that in mind

·
Registered
401 Posts
I run the MotF all the time to make use of the five dreadnoughts that I have. He is there for the sole purpose of unlocking the dreads, he himself doesn't actually do all that much.

I have run the MotF on bike with Conversion Beamer and, unfortunately, he does not fare well. Yes, you can use the bike to get the necessary range to make the gun worthwhile but, if there is an even moderate amount of terrain, you are going to have line of sight issues. The best actual use for him that I have found is for him to ride in my Land Raider Redeemer with my terminators so that if the LR gets immobilized or a weapon gets blown off he can repair it. (A side note here, I swear that I have seen that being embarked in a transport it counts as being in base contact for the purposes of repairs, but I can't find it again. Can anyone confirm this?)

But ya, the only reason to ever take him is so you can take Dreads as a Heavy choice as well as an Elite choice

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Hey all, First time posting and im still a 40k newbie so go easy

I have a bunch of questions regarding the MotF and was hoping this was the place to have them answered.

1) How competitive is the MotF and which build is better?
The Master of the Forge is not a very competative model, for the points you pay for him he simply does not put out enough firepower. The only real use to using a MoTF is the 4-6 Dreadnaught army, or using Dreadnaughts in conjunction with other Elite choices. As for which build is better I have never used the Conversion Beamer build but find the MoTF useful kept cheap with a Servo Harness to pop out of a Drop Pod with a Tactical Squad. His Flamer and Twin Linked Plasma Pistol can really add to a squads firepower, and the Power Fist attacks don't hurt either.

2) Is sitting back with the conversion beamer worth it?
I haven't tried it but would have to say no. General consensus is that he works best on a Bike to keep the range and gain Relentless but then you have to waste a squad to babysit him, your opponent will almost always get cover at these extreme ranges, he can't gain better firing lanes from going on buildings, and his point cost is ludicrously inflated.

3) Is there a certain style of army he fits best/better in?
Anything that utilizes more than the standard 3 Elite slots.

4) Any ideas for converting for the conversion beamer?
Attack Bikes can make this much easier, slap Lascannon peices and Devastator backpacks in the gunner seat and you're done.

5) Do you guys use servitors at all? with what kit?
Servitors generally are NOT worth their points and I would avoid taking them.
Hope that helps :soldier:

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Papa_Wheely said:
A side note here, I swear that I have seen that being embarked in a transport it counts as being in base contact for the purposes of repairs, but I can't find it again. Can anyone confirm this?
No, he needs to climb out to effect repairs. Not a big drawback with a Land Raider to block LOS, of course, and vehicle movement is irrelevant for repair purposes.

How well does the MotF do at keeping five Dreads running, Wheely? Seems he'd be a busy repairman, at least on paper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Despite what everyone seems to say I have found him quite useful in my biker lists, but I agree for his points he isn't worth it in smaller games.

I tend to use him with the Captain and command squad as his servo harness extras make him quite useful - especially the flamer and plasma pistol as they augment the command squad - and the extra point of toughness is essential given his lack of an invulnerable save. I've often given him a power weapon to improve his killing ability but he is expensive despite his extras. The bike mounted model looks amazing though.

With a conversion beamer he has the ability to destroy armour at a very long range but line of sight is an issue and scatter isn't exactly what you want.

In general don't bother with him in games lower than 1750, maybe even 2000, and he's more of a fun addition than a serious competitive force.

·
Registered
252 Posts
No, he needs to climb out to effect repairs. Not a big drawback with a Land Raider to block LOS, of course, and vehicle movement is irrelevant for repair purposes.

How well does the MotF do at keeping five Dreads running, Wheely? Seems he'd be a busy repairman, at least on paper.
no if he is in a trasport he can repair it

·
Registered
95 Posts
I find that even if you are utilising the extra Dreadnoughts he's still only worth it in a Drop Pod army - if he's trying to keep 4-6 Dreadnoughts moving, it sure helps if they're up close already - it gives you that invaluable discretion between which ones to repair if you need to. I personally run as my 'main' army: Vulkan, the MotF, 30x Tactical, 5x Assault Termies, 2x Ironclads and 2x Dreadnoughts in 2000 pts - everything in pods. He's invaluable to unlock the extra two Dreadnoughts for the army, which I consider almost essential in a drop pod army since it allows you to get those pods on the board.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I actually don't really use him to keep the dreads going. Once he is on the board he is really only concerned with keeping the LR up and running. Granted, he hasn't much of a chance the last few games. 4 out of 5 of my last games my LR Redeemer has gotten destroyed 1st turn. But nonetheless, for him to have a chance to repair damaged Dreads one would have to keep them all very close together. One advantage to having multiple dreads is you can have dreads in many places at once. Keeping them all together makes them too susceptible to tar-pits and such.

And on the "repair from inside" thing, can you guys give page references on this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I disagree that a MOTF is not a competitive HQ choice. There are better choices for the points, but in the right army, played the right way, he (and his six dreadnoughts, or 3 dreads and 3 more elites?!?) can be utterly devastating. Granted, the build I like is a 2000+ points build. I prefer the shooty style MOTF, and I'll be posting a new forum labeled "MOTF Tactics" if you're interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts