Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what the best method is to measure out paint and water ratios, I've tried a couple of different types of eyedroppers but the paint simply bubbles up on the end of the dropper instead of forming a nice measurable drop.

any hints or tips?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, when making ammo for my guns I use a scale thats accurate to the nearest .000 so maybe weight is the solution you are looking for. I personally dont really worry about slight differences in paint. If its not perfect dont worry about it. Nothing in reality is perfectly uniform.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, my fault for lacking clarity in what my actual problem is.

All of the eydroppers I use to try to measure out paint refuse to make a "drop"

When I squeeze the bulb a bubble of paint forms on the end of the dropper (almost like blowing a bubble with chewing gum) If I continue to squeeze in a vain effort to get a drop of paint out, the bubble pops with a nice splatter effect on my worktable.

Due to this I find it nearly impossible to mix paints in anything resembling a neat and orderly manner. I would prefer not to simply slop some paint on the pallet with a brush and guesstimate. (apparently a bit to nuerotic to do that).

So I'm looking for info on how to neatly measure paints, I don't know if it's the droppers I'm useing or if I should coat them with something, or if I should just accept that it's going to be a messy process.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, first of all, I give my pains a good smack on the palm of my hand, nozzle down. Dont really ahve any air problems after that. As far as getting the drop of the nozzle, I squeeze out what I want and if its not fallong off, I dip a popsicle stick in water and sheer the paint off and drop it onto my pallete.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Sounds like you aren't getting enough paint in the eyedropper. I would suck up more paint, get your drops on your pallete and then squeeze the rest back in your pot. If you aren't getting enough paint initially the air will push out first creating the bubbles.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like my problem was the amount of paint. I was trying to be stingy and save as much as possible, once i filled that dropper up the air bubble problem went away.

Thank you all for the help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts