Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

I could not find the answer to this question that I ran into yesterday : when discharging the particle whip, from which point of the monolith do you measure range ? The center of the model (ie the big cristal), or any gun ?

This could have had some impact since a Leman Russ I was targetting was within 24" range from the nearest gun, but not from the center of the model ...

Anyhow, I got whipped by a custom Ork+IG taskforce that I foolishly tried to ambush :'(

As for DeepStriking the monolith right over enemy units, I could not find anything preventing this in the rules, at least in the french version. Granted you are supposed to place the model over your opponent's units (used a marker instead), but the To Hit did happen :p

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did, and the only reference I could find was

Q. Can the Monolith fire into close combat with its gauss arc?
A. The Monolith’s gauss arc can only engage​

targets that it would normally be able to fire at,
so it cannot fire into close combat and must have
a line-of-sight from any of the vehicle’s weapons.

My problem is that the particle whip is not a weapon as is, so I can't figure out from where I should check range :/

[/LEFT]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mistake, the answer is indeed in the FAQ

The particle whip uses the large blast marker and its range and line
of sight are measured from any of the Monolith’s weapons.
Sorry for the inconvienience, you may dispose of this thread ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is actually covered in the 5th Ed errata:

Its in the same answer as 'Can the Monolith fire the particle whip and flux arc on the same turn.'

The particle whip is measured from any of the flux arc guns.

Fluff reasoning would be that although the crystal generates the power for the PW it is still shot through the flux guns. This would also explains why it can't shoot both, the crystal is either generating a medium amount of energy and projecting it out through every gun, or send all of it's energy through one.

You can find the errata here;

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA.../m1180146_Necrons_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf

·
This is for the haters...
1,308 Posts
This is actually covered in the 5th Ed errata:

Its in the same answer as 'Can the Monolith fire the particle whip and flux arc on the same turn.'

The particle whip is measured from any of the flux arc guns.

Fluff reasoning would be that although the crystal generates the power for the PW it is still shot through the flux guns. This would also explains why it can't shoot both, the crystal is either generating a medium amount of energy and projecting it out through every gun, or send all of it's energy through one.

You can find the errata here;

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA.../m1180146_Necrons_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf
You do realize that this question was already answered, with the same exact source, a while ago right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.