Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well guys, after a satisfying tweaking of my tyranid army, I've come to embrace the greater good! This is my first Tau list, and hope tat you find it appealing. I tried not to include any sort of "alien" units like kroot or vespid, because I guess I just fancy greyskins. Give me some feedback on what I could do to improve the playability of this army, after all, I’m striving for greatness.
EDIT: Also, forgot to say this earlier, It's 1500 pts.

HQ
Shasel with: Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker. 90 PTS

ELITES
3 man Crisis Suit unit with: Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array. 204 PTS
6 man Stealth Suit unit with: Burst Cannon, Team Leader with: Burst Cannon, Marker Light, Gun Drone, Marker Drone. 235 PTS

TROOPS
12 man Fire Warrior unit with: Pulse Rifles, Team Leader with Pulse Rifle, Gun Drone, Marker Light. 145 PTS
12 man Fire Warrior unit with: Pulse Carbines, Devil Fish with: Burst Cannon, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines, 2 Seeker Missiles. 230 PTS

FAST ATTACK
8 man Pathfinder Team with: Pulse Carbines, Marker Light Designators, Devil fish with the same kit out as above. 236 PTS
4 tank Piranha Team with: 2 with Fusion Blasters, 2 with Burst Cannons, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Seeker Spines.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sniper Drone Squad with: It's standard output.

So, what do you think? My anti-tank units are the 2 piranhas with Fusion Blasters, I'll probably let the drones out to tie up any tank baby sitters while my Piranha go in for the ever so sweet back armor kill. I also have those 4 Seeker Missiles at my disposal, probably enough for taking out independent characters or any of the tanks on the map. My stealth suits are going to be deployed using infiltrate, but behind a nice chunk of cover, making them almost invulnerable. They'll help my Shasel and his Crisis Suits Deep Strike, as well as giving them marker targets. My sniper drones and my footslogging fire warriors deploy in the middle, slowly moving up while the rest of my army jets across the battle field. As soon as the enemy is engaged in my forward force's fire, I’ll take up defensive stances inside some cover (where the sensor spines come in. Then, when they come in to attack I’ll close with either one side or the other, making a small closing door tactic. my tanking fire warriors and the pathfinders are going to be out of the thanks most of the time unless they have to move across anywhere quickly.

So, what do you think? Please let me know soon, as I’m going to try to fine tune this thing as quickly as possible.

·
655 Posts
Your list is definately not the typical tau list, but I'll try to give you constructive criticism on the list that you have, and not suggest that you take units that aren't listed, or anything like that. In other words, I'll work with what you've suggested.

Shasel with: Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker. 90 PTS

I usually run this guy, but you have to get his BS as high as possible. To do this, you run him like this: Shas'El w/CIB, PR, Targetting Array & HWMT = 100 pts. He's often refured to as a centurion. Note however, that this guy is a bit... unreliable at times. The strength of the CIB is the issue. It has been suggested to me that perhaps the CIB should be replaced with a MP (making him a fireknife5) for range & all-around goodness. I'm still out. Just remember, this guy is tough to use really well, and tough to rely on. He will work well with the suits you have selected below, however.

3 man Crisis Suit unit with: Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Multi Tracker, Targeting Array. 204 PTS

I'm a bit confused here. You have to take the Team Leader upgrade for one suit in order to take the TA (& hard-wire the MT). I would run 2 suits only (So one suit like Team Leader with BC/PR/TA/HWMT & 1 suit like BC/PR/MT). The three man squads get tough to hide well, but, depending on your terrain, can be useful.

6 man Stealth Suit unit with: Burst Cannon, Team Leader with: Burst Cannon, Marker Light, Gun Drone, Marker Drone. 235 PTS

I find this unit to be ... not good. If you want to make a SMT (Stealth Marker Team), run 3 stealth with 2 MDs, and a markerlight on the leader. Or, run the squad as fire support at 6 men. The large team coupled with markerlights is a waste to me.

12 man Fire Warrior unit with: Pulse Rifles, Team Leader with Pulse Rifle, Gun Drone, Marker Light. 145 PTS
Do you really need the gun drone? I know they are really cute, and make a good cup of tea, but does the unit really need it (I would think about a BK instead). The drone would also prevent the team from getting into a DF.

12 man Fire Warrior unit with: Pulse Carbines, Devil Fish with: Burst Cannon, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines, 2 Seeker Missiles. 230 PTS
I've been curious about sensor spines for a while, but have never taken them. I just don't think they are worth it anymore (the DPs can do the same thing effectively). And I'm not really a fan of SMs on random vehicles (we have the Skyray for that). I would worry that you only have 2 vehicles, and neither of which are all that resilient. I would seriously consider the Disruption Pods as mandatory (drop the Decoys if you don't have the points). Other than that, get the SMs off immediately, or else they are just a waste of points.

8 man Pathfinder Team with: Pulse Carbines, Marker Light Designators, Devil fish with the same kit out as above. 236 PTS
These guys are great, but tend to die almost immediately. My comments on the DF still stand.

4 tank Piranha Team with: 2 with Fusion Blasters, 2 with Burst Cannons, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Seeker Spines
Why mix roles? Go 2 or so with fusion blasters and you are fine. I tend to notice that my Pirahnas die quickly to small arms fire, and 4 is a big juicy target. With DPs, you'd get a cover save over 12"... with only one unit that could really bust the Land Raider Crusader I run in my list, I would try to quickly get rid of this unit to make it almost invincible (outside of the very lucky SM strike).

Sniper Drone Squad with: It's standard output
Never run these guys, but I would think that they would be decent enough I guess. I might think of running an XV-88 here instead, for long range tank-popping.

I would consider looking into either a hammerhead for tank busting, or perhaps a skyray for more (and consolidated) missiles. Like I said before, it's not anywhere near a typical tau list (which is great!), and it isn't anything like the lists I play.

My three cents...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, thanks for the quick feedback. Sorry for being so confusing with my army list, it probably doesn't look like too many tau lists because I still have a tyranid's mindset on movement and specific jobs. So, here's the revised list, probably still going to use the same tactics from before.

HQ
Shas'el with Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker, Battle Suit.

ELITES
Crisis Suit Unit with 2 Suits: Burst Cannon, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Team Leader with: Same Weapons, Hard Wired Multi Tracker, Targeting Array.

Stealth Suit Unit with 3 Suits: Burst Cannon, Team Leader with Marker Light, EMP Grenade (Had 6 spare points), 2 Marker Drones.

TROOPS
Fire Warrior Unit with 12 Men: Pulse Rifles or Carbines, Team Leader with: Marker Light, either a Pulse Rifle or Carbine; Devil Fish with: Burst Cannon, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines (So it can disregard the terrain, thats a big improvement on Disruption Pods).

Fire Warrior Unit with 12 Men: Pulse Rifles or Carbines, Team Leader with: Marker Light, either a Pulse Rifle or Carbine; Devil Fish with: Burst Cannon, 2 Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines (So it can disregard the terrain, thats a big improvement on Disruption Pods).

FAST ATTACK
Piranha Team with 2 Skimmers: Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines, 2 Gun Drones, Burst Cannon.

Piranha Team with 2 Skimmers: Decoy Launchers, Sensor Spines, 2 Gun Drones, Fusion Blaster.

Path Finder Team with 8 Men: Pulse Carbines, Marker Light Target Designators, Same Devil Fish as above.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sky Ray Missile Gunship with: Six Seeker Missiles, 2 Networked Marker Lights, Smart Missile System, Disruption Pod, Decoy Launchers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts