Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'vs started working on my Fluffy/FUN (Fun is the keyword here) 1000 point (may expand later, but I'll start small) army, and had some questions about the Doctrines.

Now I wanted to use the Mechanised doctrine, does that mean every squad in the platoon has a transport?

Probly a stupid question, but I wanted to be sure. I'm guessing I just give each squad one, but is that what you do?

Also is there a way to instead just take Armored Fist squads instead? It says I can only take one AF for ever Platoon, so that means I have to have at least 3 squads to field the minimum fnumber of troops right?

Mike

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
mike - yes every squad in the platoon must have a chimera

Taking armoured fists instead? not using standard codex, you could take grenadiers and then you get storm troopers as troops and give each a chimera, but obviously you are paying storm trooper prices, getting carapace armour and hellgunsand loosing HW i nsquads, people do that but usually add mechanised and carapace doctrins to give their HQ and HW/SW squads something similar

There is a way to do what you are suggesting, but it requires Imperial armour 1 which has the armoured battlegroup rules

·
646 Posts
If you did this with Infantry you would need to take a Chimera for every squad in your army. So you would be looking at a minimum of 5 Chimeras. 1 for the HQ, 3 for the Infantry Platoon and another 1 for your Armoured Fist.

However, if you take Grenadiers as your troop choice then you cut that down to 3, and obviously then you can add on to that as you see fit.

Cheredanine is right, you loose the Heavy Weapons slots doing it this way, but I get the impression you are planning for your troops to actualy use their Chimeras (otherwise there would be no point in Mechanized)! In which case there is no disadvantage.

Making a totaly mechanized army does mean your troops will be very thin on the ground. You can't really afford to take infantry and support squads when you are laying down a 85-100pts Chimera for each one, I would suggest you keep to Grenadiers and get as many Heavy Support and Fast Attack as you can with the remaining points. However, you might find it very difficult to keep within 1000 when you are almost fielding an armoured company.

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, Plattons are 2-5 squads I believe, so that be 4 squads (I forgot about HQ)

So, more questions! (You can all groan now ;D)

1] If I were to make the HQ an IC could I just stick him in a platoon squad rather than buy him a Chimera?

2] with a minimum 4(or 5) mounted squads, I'm guess that'd take up most of my 1000 points?

Mike

·
646 Posts
Platoons are actualy comprised of 1 command squad and 2-5 infantry squads. So you would be looking at a minimum of 5 Chimeras - and that's if you took Armoured fist as your 2nd troop instead of another Platoon, if you were to take the planned 2nd Platoon you would be looking at a minimum of 7 Chimeras. The only legal way to get your list under 5 Chimeras would be Grenadiers.

I am 100% certain on this MiketehFox.

Edit: Posted before answering your questions!

Unfortunatley the HQ entry in the codex says 1 Command Platoon. Meaning Independant Commissars cannot be taken as your only HQ choice.

And yes, at base value you have already spent 710pts, and that includes none of the upgrades on the vehicles, mandatory or otherwise, and no SWs or HWs.

If you want to do this list I think you either need to look at an alternative troop choice - or play Armoured Company.

·
Registered
182 Posts
MiketehFox said:
1] If I were to make the HQ an IC could I just stick him in a platoon squad rather than buy him a Chimera?
Nope... an IG HQ consists of a Commander and his retinue, so five guys in total.

2] with a minimum 4(or 5) mounted squads, I'm guess that'd take up most of my 1000 points?

Pretty much... you would need an HQ w/ transport, a Platoon w/ 3 transports (1 each for Platoon HQ and 2 Squads), and an Armored Fist Squad (includes transport), bringing you to 5 transports.

I don't think it's legal, but if you can combine your HQ and platoon hq in the same transport... I don't think that works, though... how would it deploy? Nevermind this last bit :tongue:

·
646 Posts
kidsyndrome said:
I don't think it's legal, but if you can combine your HQ and platoon hq in the same transport... I don't think that works, though... how would it deploy? Nevermind this last bit :tongue:
Unfortunatley no, as Chimeras are assigned transports. But now you mention it, I think an unasssigned transport, i.e: something like a Falcon grav-tank could carry multiple squads.

This topic reminds me of a quasai 40k-game I once played, dubbed "Transport Ball". Every player was allowed a single troop choice from their army list with an assigned transport. I think the max was 200pts. I took a squad of Grenadiers with plasmaguns ofc. We played on a 6x4 board with a goal either end, and only transports could push the ball.

This army list would excell in a scaled up version of that game :w00t:

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so, the 5 Mounted squads I'd have would be 700+ points? Then add on options? Yikes.

Is there a way I can do think while still being able to take a Leman Russ at least?

I don't wanna go Armored Company as it doesn't really fit me, I tried making one, but I couldn't find something to fit me really...

Help!

(Thanks for the great help so far!)

Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
You could do this in a really smooth way using an Armored Company list. The list would require 3 Leman Russes and 0-6 Chimeras with infantry. The breakdown would be:

Command:
Leman Russ [or variant] command tank

Troops:
Leman Russ [or variant]
Leman Russ [or variant]

Elites:
0-3 Stormtroopers in Chimeras

Fast Attack:
0-3 Armored Fists

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
646 Posts
Personaly I think you are better off with Grenadiers anyway. They cost XXX censored by the management XXX each, but they get Carapace armour (4+) - which will protect them from all basic infantry weapons, and BS4, and they also get frags and kraks for free (ok, they are useless, but they are free). As an added bouns they get to pre-measure range.

The only disadvantage of them over infantry is that they can't take Heavy Weapons, instead they get a 2nd SW slot, however, when mounted in a Chimera, a HW will tend to be useless anyway unless you want to sit still. If you intend to move them around the board then you are better off with the 2 SWs.

They are pricey, but your overall saving will be huge. 2 squads of Grenadiers and a command squad in a Chimera will be about 500pts with upgrades. 350 base! More than enough room for a couple of Russes and even more squads.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Actually mike, you missunderstood my armoured statement, IA 1 lets an armoured battle group comprise of, for example:

HQ: Salamander command vehicle

Elites
Armoured fist command squad

Troops:
2 armoured fist squads

See- much more like what you are after, mind this is the proper armoured company rules, not the half baked WD ones

back to what you are describing
lets have a dab:

HQ:
JO, honorifica, PF bp,
command squad, 2 plasma guns, medic,
chimera, EA, smoke, hull heavy B, turret multi laser, pintle Stubber
roughly 180 points

Genadier squad:
vet sgt, power weapon, 9 grenadiers, 2 plasma guns
chimera EA, smoke, hull heavy B, turret multi laser, pintle Stubber
roughly 250 points

Genadier squad:
vet sgt, power weapon, 9 grenadiers, 2 plasma guns
chimera EA, smoke, hull heavy B, turret multi laser, pintle Stubber
roughly 250 points

gives you plenty of room for a Leman Russ and possibly some FA or additional anti tank stuff, just to keep the army rounded you may want to take Carapace armour doctrine and give that to your HQ

Be carefull about adding anti tank, IMHO the best way to do this is by adding sentinals W las cannons and HK misiles- cheap and dont need chimera, plus pretty much gaurenteed first turn hit

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I don't have acess to IA, so the only option is AC, an d again, it so far hasn't worked for me.

I don't really know why you gave your sarges Power weapons thought....

I have plans for other Doctrines, but if I said them here, I think they'd kinda have abombshell effect. :D

Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts