Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

Well, i tried my thing the grey knights, but below 1000 points they were... well, very inflexible. I wanted to play 'em mechanised so i ended up putting alot of points in one Land Raider. Anyway, my question is:

How is it to play Space Marines mechanised? I let my thoughts play over the space marine codex and came up with something like this for 531 pts.:

Traits: Trust your Battle Brother & something else

captain, power weapon, bolt pistol, close combat shield 86 pts.

5 marines, missile launcher
- in a razorback with twin-linked lasercannons, extra armour, smoke 198 pts.

8 marines, plasma gun
- vet sergeant with terminator honours, powerfist
-in a rhino, extra armour, smoke, storm bolter 247 pts.

Info: I would only play marines if i can play them mechanised with some flexibility, i wouldn't want to play against every enemy with the same method. The Trait is usable in my opinion, because when i unload next to an enemy unit and shoot 14 bolter shots + 2 plasma shots, there will be the unavoidable assault next turn (i don't assume i can shoot everything away)... so the extra attack plus the power fist should really help.

I can use my rhino for cover when i deployed my squads. I just think they are gonna make *pop* way too easily, with a front armour value of 11? (with cautious usement of terrain) :?

Has this broad type of army an future? (Btw. i wouldn't really know how to use the hq yet, in case you wonder)

Well, usual manouvers would be:

Against close combat armys (possibly footsloggers) - deploy my marines with the transports fast into the best cover spots where they can support each other, then shoot and try to harrass his march with my transports, i could possibly avoid them shortly before they attack, by retreating and driving away.

Against shooting armys (this is a real problem with a AV 11) - try to use the cover as much as possible, then rush out of it with the transports, disembark and use my rhinos for protection - maybe i can assault next turn... , if they are fragile i may also disembark and shoot

Well... quite fragile a rhino. I guess i said too much yet, im thankful for any tips!!

Thanks for your time and patience
lucky (well not so lucky last time ;)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sure, this style of army can work quite well.

I would suggest that you give the smaller squad the plasma gun rather than a heavy weapon (so it can shoot on the turn you disembark the unit) and give the other squad a melta gun (so you can still shoot with a high strength/good AP gun on a turn you plan to assault with your powerfist sergeant and captain). This change would be points neutral.

Also, I'd take Cleanse and Purify as the second trait, as that allows you to take a second special weapon (flamer, melta or plasma gun) in each squad (for a higher point cost than the first).

For 601 points you could make the above weapon changes, and add a second Special weapon and an extra marine to each squad (to take them to the maximum capacity of their transports).

If I were to put together a 750 point mechanised marine force it would be the following:
Captain (as yours).
6 man Tactical squad in Razorback (as yours) with 2 plasma guns.
9 man Tactical squad in Rhino, with Veteran Sergeant (both as yours) and 2 Melta guns.
Either a 3 man Attack Bike squadron or a Predator Annihilator with Heavy Bolter sponsons, Extra Armour Storm Bolter and Smoke.

Comes out to 751 points (Attack Bikes) or 744 points (Predator)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes it can work very well actually. My BT force does something similiar

http://www.librarium-online.com/for...vehicle-deepstrike-delivered.html#post1105087

Using the vehicles the core of my force can hit where and when I need it, and you more or less have it right to what you have to do. Against shooty armies you have to be careful in your use of terrain to close distance (in my case I also keep some deep striked troops in the list to deal with that), and against swarm or CC troops you pick your fights... just basic tactics, apply as much of your force to as little of theirs as possible sort of thing.

Admitadly mine is more CC based then what it sounds like you want... you want more close range shooting it seems?

Either way though it should work pretty functionally the same. You need to be in close, or to be more manuverable, and your vehicles do it for you.

Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I disagree, against a full mech army marines fare poorly with tanks, its just not their forte. I would rather spend the points in a 10 man assualt marine unit than attatch a Rhino to a tactical squad. Granted thats compareing apples and oranges, but about the same point coast.

Space marines shine when you factor the power armor, not mech armor. If its rapid deployment you seek spend less points and invest in the Drop pod.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
In the newer codex's drop pods are more expensive. And the thing with drop pods, as much as I love them, they have their drawbacks as well. You have access to a rhino on turn one where as the drop pod you don't konw when you it will come into play. And yes, aside form the land raider, space marine armor is pretty weak, but then again, that's what keeps rhinos fairly cheap. I think mechanized lists work very well. I would also take the trait cleanse and purify tho, that way you can have two special weapons in your squads to fire after you exit the rhinos. And if you use something like a land raider, you can hide your rhinos behind it.

On paper rhinos look like they suck but if you make good use of cover they can really shine. Heck, you could even use assault marines with the rhinos. Hide the assault marines behind the rhinos as they advance.

And make sure to always take smoke launchers.

·
2,399 Posts
And make sure to always take smoke launchers.
The most important advice here for you rhino survivability - move 12 and pop smoke on first turn. All hits become glancing, which means :
1) no automatic disembarkation due to penetrating hit (whatever the result)
2) only 1/6 chance of death.

May i also suggest extra armour too?
(Bar being immobalised or destroyed you'll still move the turn after being hit. (This statement refers to the turn after you pop smoke))

The general tactic is this :
Deploy behing cover if possible. (If you don't get 1st don't be shootable)
On Turn 1 move 12". Pop smoke - hey, you can't fire anyway.
On Turn 2 move 12". Disembark troops, Rapid fire troops at enemy (Including the bolter/plasma guns range, and 2" disembarkation, what enemy wasn't within 38" of your deployment?)

P.S. On future turns be a pest with your rhino. It has poor weaponry, so tank shock troops. It's also a great LOS blocker.

P.P.S. And don't forget : if your opponents non-vehicle unit shoots at something further away it's a LD test to be able to do so. (target priority tests) LD10 has a 1 in 12 of failing, LD9 has 1 in 6. (Note Tau Railguns are not infantry)

P.P.P.S. I wouldn't bother with one vehicle - have many vehicles or none at all. (As a guard/marine player just trust me on this one)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your tips and advice, everyone of you ;Y I'm still in the brainstorming phase... guess i won't get out of there fast...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.