Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate who i game with recently got a Mega dread from forgeworld. He cant paint all that well, so he's offered to pay me to paint it.Its an awesome looking model, so im pretty happy about it, as I like a challenge.

Anyway, my army is dark eldar, ive not painted orks. Ever! A google search for examples of mega dreads turned up nothing. My mates army is not yet painted either, he wants to build it around the paint job I do on this model.

Im thinking of black/red mainly, as that seems pretty orky.

Also, a question about the model. its made from resin. Ive never painted onto resin before, so is there anything I need to do before I paint it. Does it need any special treatment, or can I clean it up, prime it and paint it just like a normal GW plastic model?

Heres a picture of the dread hanging out with his mate, i'll post pictures of it in progress!

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
It looks like you have already stuck the model together already.
I would suggest you gently wash the model in warm (not hot) soapy water with washing up liquid with a very soft sponge. This will wash of the chemicals they use.
Then spray it using a black undercoat.

Here IS THE ONLY pic i have found of a painted megadread,

I DID NOT PAINT THIS!!!!

(If i had it would of been pink and blue)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy im painting it for had stuck it together before I got the model off him, id have much prefered it in its parts before I started to be honest, but he was insistent on using it in a game against my dark eldar before he handed it over! It got blown up by the way :sinister:

I'll do what you said then, wash it, under coat it and paint it, I cant wait too get to work on this thing!

Cheers for the advice :)

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Yeah you need to wash off the chemicals on forgeworld models. You sometimes get the mold release agents and things still on the regular GW models but not that often.

As for an orky colour scheme, Just about any colours will work. Red and blacks should be good. I'd paint most of it in metallics, and use washes to make the metals look suitably oily/dirty/rusty all over. Then I'd paint some of the armour plates without covering it entirely. I think the orks wouldn't do a particularly good job of painting their vehicles, so even on armour plates that they painted you might still see the underlying metal around the edges.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think maybe that guy is from the movie "9"? either way i want one too :)

As for the dread, with all the metal parts mix up the metallic colors and use some coppers and bronze in there to mix up the silver and also to make it look more patchwork as orks should be! Select a color to use only on focal points such as the face and weapon tips to make the model stand out a bit more. I'd suggest red or yellow for these

Unlike the pic found by boomer, that model doesnt stand out as much because the ork jaw face is a metallic color like the rest of the body. The model would benefit a lot more if the jaw was all red with paint scratches on the edges for something the viewer would focus on

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
I do FW models all the time.. they are a pain (see my WIP)

Trim all the excess flash / vents etc

Bathe all the parts in multi-purpose cleaner that is diluted to floor washing consistency.. I usually leave this overnight..

Take the larger pieces out and make sure that there is no evidence of any residue or mold left on the parts

Scrub everything that I feel can take a medium light scrub with an old toothbrush - small fragile or bendy parts usually are ok after the bath.. the larger parts with lots of fiddly detail are notorious for holding onto the release fluid

Leave the parts to air dry after a dab down with kitchen paper

Check for air bubbles - trim and fill with greenstuff / epoxy etc

Assemble (to where you feel comfortable for painting)

Fill - Greenstuff tastic.. FW Models invariably won't fit brilliantly and are going to need some filling

For larger models your going to want to Pin with some substantial stuff (brass rod etc). Be careful about using superglue with resin and brass rod.. it has a bad habit of instantly (i mean instantly) sticking.. often you can't get the rod all the way into the pinning hole. I usually use 3mm fibreglass rod.. and glue at the top. I'll pull the rod out a little way and then run glue down while pushing it back into its slot.

Undercoat.. your choice, but I go for a good quality grey car primer

Then I usually re-coat in white (GW Skull White Spray) and then give the model the lightest wash of Bebab black (3:1 mix wash to water). This highlights where I have missed any flash or not smooth fills

After that you should be good to go..

Hope that helped

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, appreiciated.

I scrubbed it as best I could and cleaned it up. Sorted out the air bubbles (left a couple though, they make great bullet holes!) and undercoated in 2 coats of black.

Ive started the paint job, but keep getting bored of attempting to base coat and doing shading bit by bit, heh.

Once ive got a bit more done I will post some WIP photos!

Ive gone for an evil suns style scheme, nice bright red on the armor and heavy metalics elsewhere, with rusted and burnt effects all over it.
----------
Oh! And the sackboy came free with my pre order of little big planet! I was one of the lucky few to get the large model instead of the little 3 inch one most shops gave away :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts