Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would someone kindly advice and help me in building a 1300PT army to do away with my friend's Necron army. I've looked everywhere and I don't see anyone else hell-bound as I am for killing those pathetic immortal beings.

My friends army list:

2 UNITS of 10 Warriors
2 Tomb Spiders
6 Immortals WITH 1 Naked Necron Lord
2 Heavy Destroyers
4 Destroyers
5 Pariah

I know I need to take out his head first. Kill all of his Destroyers, attack Spiders and Immortals every turn and eliminated them right after I do his Destroyers. Then sweep the board with my Fire Warriors dusting away any of his warriors that are left.

BUT I want to know YOUR experience. What has proven to be most effective out there?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what my entire army consists of:

1 Commander

3 Stealth

3 Units of 12 Fire Warriors

1 Unit of 12 Kroots and 1 Krootox Rider

6 Gun Drones

6 Pathfinders with 1 Devilfish

1 Broadside

1 Sniper Team

4 Shield Drones (Always put 2 on my HQ and 2 on my Stealth.)

1 Marker Drone (Always with my Stealth)

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you want to effectively fight Necrons then you will need more Crisis suits as they are the best place to get Plasma Rifles.

What is your Broadside equipped with, Smart Missile System or Plasma Rifles?

If you want a list to deal with Necrons effectively then I would recommend Fireknife (Plasma, Missile, Multi-tracker) or Helios (Plasma, Fusion, Multi-tracker) Crisis teams. My preference would be for the Fireknife due to the added range. I would also try to fit in 3 Sniper Drone teams. They aren't as effective in an all-comers list but if you know you will be facing MEQs then the AP3 can be very useful.

When you play remember that the best way to beat Necrons is focused fire and to play for phase out. You will need to have some railguns in your list in order to deal with any monoliths your friend has but you shouldn't waste shots on it as the monolith is expensive and significantly reduces his phase out value.

·
Oh No! Not Him Again!
779 Posts
Right then, this is what you can try from what you have:

HQ:
1 Shas'o
Plasma Rifle
Fusion Blaster
Multi Tracker
HW Drone controller
2 Sheild drones
Stim injector
Iridium Plates

Troops:
3 units of 12 fire warriors
Photon Grenades
Shas'ui
drone controller
2 gun drones

12 Kroot
Shaper
6+ save

Elites:
3 Stealthies
Targetting arrays
1 Fusion blaster

Fast Attack:
6 Pathfinders
EMP grenades
Shas'ui
Drone controller
2 Sheild drones
Devilfish
Disruption Pod

Heavy Support:
1 Broadside team leader
Advanced Stabilisation system
HW drone controller
Marker drone

1 Sniper drone team

Total - 1301

Why and for what?

I gave the broadside a marker drone mainly due to personal experience. I usually fail my re-roll without that useful little laser guiding my broadside true.

The kroots can outflank, but if you want to sit them in cover with a krootox and shoot stuff, just remove the photon grenades from your fire warriors, as i notice he hasnt really got any assault units.... 'cept pariahs, but they cant use we'll be back....

The stealth team are really just a one hit wonder to be honest. Using the pathfinder devilfish they deepstrike, and help your fire warriors kill some dudes. The stealth field will protect them from anything too bad, and they will die anyway if too much is shot at them, so no real need for the sheild drones. The pathfinders need them for the reasons the stealth team doesnt...

Commander is to kill from the range, jumping around like a spring chicken, and is ver resistant to prety much anything, so he should be capable to wear your mate down like the rest would

If this was me, i would have WAY WAY more crisis suits, but they are quite expensive, so i can see why some people dont have them. I would also consider more sniper teams, maybe to have 3 in one heavy support slot, but this should have enough firepower to deal with any straight 4 profiled enemies (believe me, i am one of 2 people at my local club who dotn use marines/chaos/necrons, and i have beaten all of them, but not necessarily with this sort of list...... or this army........ but i know what im saying here..

EDIT
Just to say this is something i woud do with these models alone, other peoples choices (and my personal) may be different

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to effectively fight Necrons then you will need more Crisis suits as they are the best place to get Plasma Rifles.

What is your Broadside equipped with, Smart Missile System or Plasma Rifles?

If you want a list to deal with Necrons effectively then I would recommend Fireknife (Plasma, Missile, Multi-tracker) or Helios (Plasma, Fusion, Multi-tracker) Crisis teams. My preference would be for the Fireknife due to the added range. I would also try to fit in 3 Sniper Drone teams. They aren't as effective in an all-comers list but if you know you will be facing MEQs then the AP3 can be very useful.

When you play remember that the best way to beat Necrons is focused fire and to play for phase out. You will need to have some railguns in your list in order to deal with any monoliths your friend has but you shouldn't waste shots on it as the monolith is expensive and significantly reduces his phase out value.
He has TL-PRs

·
Registered
125 Posts
ok
first off ile say i do not have a lot of experience with tau vs necrons, but one suggestion made was Tau FW with photon grenades or something? Seriously, are you stoned mate? lol. your 36 FWs come to more cost than my 48 do.
Just have each squad with 12 guys and a shas'ui for extra ldrship

at 135points for 12 guys

Theres about 80 or so points already, and if we take away the kroots armour upgrade (they're in cover, come on, how many flamers can necrons get which are AP-, the upgrade is useless) we're up by almost 100 points !!

Also, how many monoliths are in his friends list? 0. no need for EMP nades, and if there were monoliths, how can 4+ save T3 models get to it without getting utterly massacred by everything else, and the monolith itself.
Pathfinders are meant for their ability to sit in cover, and just point out targets for others to kill.
So have just 6 @ 72 points and have their devilfish go take some FWs on a trip.

Even though your proposed HQ is a good guy, he isnt really a Tau commander, by means of not doing what a tau commander should. That is, deploy centre fieldish, behind extreme cover, jump out in movement, shoot at something, and then move back behind cover to block LOS in the assault phase. Not only is iridium armour irrelevant to this tactic, it actually hampers it. Since you dont get shot, dont have stim injector, dont have a shas'o, take a shas'el wiht array instead. dont have a fusion blaster either, too short range

Why have i made these alterations you ask? hmm
lets see
Oh look at that, we now have close to another 200 points extra which was on wasted items. 200 points of a HH and extra guys or anything. Even though you have limited models, the upgrades which were offered by people who shall remain anonomous have almost no effect at all anyways. your vs necrons

1 - 7 of 7 Posts