Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I assume that most of you have heard about MERCS a newer (I think) miniatures game on a much smaller scale (sort of) than 40k or Fantasy. I have always had a hard time painting models and getting anything totally complete has been a challenge so a smaller game where only a few models are necessary is pretty attractive to me. If you haven't heard of MERCS you can learn more about it here:

http://mercsminis.com/

(
Sorry to mods if that was bad)

Has anyone here played MERCS or actively plays it? What's it like in comparison to 40k? The cards seem like the biggest potential frustration? Do you notice them much negatively? Is it fun?!?!?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
(Sorry to mods if that was bad)
It isn't bad in this case. We mostly just care about not being used for free advertising and encroaching on intellectual property. Board games is a quiet forum.

I wouldn't mind hearing more about Mercs myself. GW is really jumping my shark with their "living rulebook" business model. Is this like the Level 7 boardgame from Privateer Press? Somebody weigh in!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I've only played a couple of self-made demo games with friends but it's not a board game, it's a full service miniatures/table top game. It's rules are simpler, more simple than WarmaHordes and Fantasy/40K and pretty easy to pick up. It's a d10 based system with most modifiers coming from cover and where you're shooting from. It's squad based, with a general maximum of 5 miniatures per side. Each faction currently has seven squad members to choose from (they plan to expand to ten total for each faction). Beasts of War did a special week for MERCS and their videos, while a bit slow in pacing, are what hooked me in to be honest. Here's the first of three reports they did...

MERCS Intro Game 1 - Attack On South African Villa - Clear the Streets Part 1 - YouTube

Also, I just ordered a faction box, I've got a rulebook already - Once I have a good feel for the rules and enough models to run a game alone, I'm hoping to do an introductory battle report and post it up here. I think MERCS deserves more press, hoping I can help with that.

G

·
I really dislike the setting of this game, mostly speaking as an offended person who lives in one of the hideously misrepresented regions.

G

·
The Saint Laurence Corridor of Canada was bundled into the CCC without a single thought from the Devs. The economic & scientific output of this region vastly out stripes the American Rust Belt states it was combined with and is home to 2/3rd of Canada's Population. It shares few cultural ties with those Rust Belt states as well. It's just offensive when the majority of your country is lumped into something as an afterthought because the ignorance of the game devs. The cities of Toronto & Montreal are considerably more relevant to the world scientifically and in business.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Saint Laurence Corridor of Canada was bundled into the CCC without a single thought from the Devs. The economic & scientific output of this region vastly out stripes the American Rust Belt states it was combined with and is home to 2/3rd of Canada's Population. It shares few cultural ties with those Rust Belt states as well. It's just offensive when the majority of your country is lumped into something as an afterthought because the ignorance of the game devs. The cities of Toronto & Montreal are considerably more relevant to the world scientifically and in business.
Haha, and here I was thinking that you would be from the middle east (Lost-Margin, FCC) area or Australia or something. I think when you play a game with "future" political theorizing you have to kind of set aside your own allegiances. Though, much easier said than done, this is completely hypocritical of me to say.

But back on topic, it's still a great game, with an interesting world and for the moment an in-touch creative staff that seem to really be working on making the game better or at least communicating their intents. I'm enjoying everything so far at least. I think this topic is mostly dead now, but I will definitely be posting some more when I have a painted squad or two to run demos with. I've got an HD camera just itching to be used for some good batreps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to link in to my project thread (which is tracking all my MERCS work) so that anyone who wanted to learn a little bit more could do so (I hope). Click here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts