Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first post in Scenery so hello all you scenery nutters.

For my first trick i shall be showing you how to make pools of mercury. Never done this before so if some of you die it's not my fault...........Right?

This is for my Frozen Chem Planet. So i thought pools of Mercury would be more fitting than pools of, well anything else really. The board is based on the Plastic board GW has released. Some say it's expensive and well it is really but i really don't have the time to make my own nowadays with all the shift work and all. Anyway......

STEP 1:
First of all I used poly filler to cover those ghastly skulls and get a flat surface amoungst the rocks for the surface of the pools. The Board was painted and the Surounding rocks will stay black. The base of the pools is Boltgun Metal. Simples!!

STEP 2:
When the Boltgun is dry poor GW water effect so it covers all the Boltgun. like so!

STEP 3:
Now for the fun bit. Dab small amounts of mithril silver onto the still wet water effect. Then with a brush mix the Mithril in with the water effect. This creates a pretty Swirly pattern. Don't mix the Mithril totaly in as you want the pretty swirly effect. Then leave to dry.

Unfortunatly I don't have a 'dry' picture for you as it is still drying at the mo. Maybe tomorrow.

*Important note. If you've never used GW water effects before don't make it too thick. Two millimeters deep is about as deep as you want it otherwise it takes about 4 years to dry. Always do it in layers.

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
WOW!

That`s awesome! You should set up a "swirly sales" business and make scenery for inexperienced guys (like me?)!
I`ll take a look in the next days how it looks dried.

Thank You for sharing it!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice work, looking forward to seeing the dry pics.

The Emperor Protects

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Swirly makes the world go Swirly

Lol cheers mate. Yeah the Black rocks are going to be highlighted dark purple and i'm going to do purple veins through it as well. Then i'll gloss it and hopefully it will look like some form of purple Obsidian.

I'm gonna do some scatter terrain of Purple crystals. Large versions of the ones DavidWC09 has on all his Fantasy chaos Stuff. It'll help break the board up as i can't/wont have any vegetation for cover.

I was even thinking of doing some 'gas clouds' but i can't think of a way to make them not look like cotton wool stuck on a base lol.

Any ideas for cool stuff for a Chem planet would be appreciated though!!

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Ok, let me be scientific! ...please...

What is the past of the planet, what happened there? Is that originally chem planet? Always been swirly mercury around? What is in the air? was vegetation? under terraforming currently? A killed planet? What is the purpose of the planet in the Imperium (or whoever owns it)?

I think when You get answers, You will have ideas... (for example: yes was vegetation... so, frozen, broken trees-don`t give cover, esp. for Kroot :p etc)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Nice technique. Now I'd like to see what happens with different colors underneath the swirls.
Or swirls of metalic colours under the actual swirls; give it some layers.

The Emperor Protects

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's useful if you're doing swamps and what have you. Just sub silver for brown/green. Try and stay away from Inks and washes though. I found the more watery the paint is the easier it mixes with the Water effect so you'll loose the swirls so keep it thick.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I viewed this thread purely on curiosity and wow. That looks great, the silver swirls look great. I really like the look of that. You got anything else planned?

Kuffy
you got lord kuffy's attention now...make sure you don't dissapoint or you may find that the swirly pools of death are more hazardous than you thought ^^. jokes :)
I thought about the ideas layer as well, but i feel that the itallic colour may be too much, is this possible for non itallic paints for the same affect?
thanks
antique_nova

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
You know... I liked the colour it was before it dried. Mixed with the less clear water effects. Now that it dried the gold shines through and, personally, I dont much care for it now. I think a light gray underneath would have looked better, and given more for that nice quicksilver look, the gold seems like it's corrupting the look of the mercury.

·
LO Zealot
1,982 Posts
I have my screen on 9300K and it definitely looks gold, it looks more so every time I switch to a lower temperature.

:/ Yeah it must be your lighting, it definitely looks like you started with gold and its bleaching through on the final dried model.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.