Now, I mesh the three units together to form one mixed unit, like so:

PPCPP
CPPC
MMMMM
MMMM

P for Plasmagun
C for Champion
M for Marine

If you were facing me, would you be opposed to randomizing shots between units, or using the group as if it were one unit, except that I test for -25% shooting after losing 2 men?

Other than that, any general thoughts?

·
389 Posts
I would certainly be opposed to randomizing shots between the squads since that would make it impossible for me to properly focus on one squad. And since that focus is the only way to knock out heavy/special weapons, fists etc. you would be gaining a huge advantage.

However, if I were going to allow you to do it I would probably try to find a way to exploit your setup. Such as rapid firing at the squad when they are 10-12" away. That would mean that you must remove casualties from the first two lines of troops, and hence all my kills will be juicy ones.

But that would also mean that I put my rapid firing squad within close range of 6 plasmaguns and three powerfists. Which is probably why you came up with this tactic :rolleyes:

You are not violating any rules by setting up your troops in the way you described, it is only the randomization of hits that pose a problem. As said first, I would not allow it. Nothing in the rules suggest any kind of randomization of hits in this way.

Arizzar

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that. I had a hunch beforehand that it wouldn't fly, but I hadn't considered the fact that doing so increases the survivability of my special weapons and Aspiring Champions. I figured that hits would take down a squad at a time, which would still be quite a lengthy affair.

However, I hadn't considered such a crafty opponent, Arizzar, :D and 10-12" would be perfect for eliminating my special weapons and Champions. As a Chaos player, what in your current army list would you use to accomplish this?

Given the danger, positioning your squads 10-12" away is a very risky affair. On one hand, you may reach too far, and I'll be able to take Marines. Also, you may be 13" away, and considering the killing potential of this meshed unit... indeed a very dangerous trial. It sounds like you could pull it off, though, from previous experience using this tactic?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts