Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently living in Japan. On a clear day I can see Fujisan but I am a good 4 hours from Tokyo and even further from Okinawa, where there seem to be a lot of things going on in the hobby.

As such I am making a few scenery pieces so I can con one of my friends or workmates into playing with me to tide me over until I discover a local, english speaking player.

Making scenery and building stuff is therapeutic for me so here are a few things i'm working on.

First up is a ruined building made completely of blue insulation foam. The pins are only in place until the glue dries.

Picture of the front.

Everything is made from a piece of 2cm insulation foam. The pillars are made of 2 pieces glued together. Once the glue dried, I cut a 4cm piece. I don't have a wire cutter, so I cut it with a knife. It's a bugger of a thing to do because if you use a thin blade, for ease of cutting, it tends to bend and make the cut uneven. If you go with a thick knife, it's a bit straighter, but much, much harder going.

This building was a pleasure to do and I drew up a rough plan, but given this was the first time i've worked with this foam stuff, I mostly just chopped up bits of foam and had a poke around to see what went where best.

Though it's very much a WIP! i'm happy with it at the moment. I plan to make a piece of smashed door still hanging from the hinges in the arch and maybe breaking down the areas near the windows
and putting a few sandbags in place. It needs a good coat of rubble and sand, plus some scoring into the foam to represent floor tiles.

My next piece was inspired by drinking waaaaay too much coffee and reading scenery forums, to get some inspiration (can you tell I have a lot of free time?)

It's made from a can of demitasse coffee, hot from the vending machine.

I used a thick plasticard circle to cover the opening in the top after the cardboard I used went all soggy and bumpy on me. The bands are thin plasticard glued around the circumference of the can. The closest end needed a few layers as there was a big dip toward the top of the can. Mendokusai.

I cut many, many rivets and glued them on. The ones that I cut a bit too thick got used as buttons on the front panel. I plan on putting some gauges on the front in my next step. Also there will be two more cables running out of the bottom of the control panel going who knows where

The big plate is wood with little hex nuts from the Gundam range of bits and pieces.

Oddly enough I just whacked the bands on where they looked right but when I measured them, there's only a mm difference between the first and second gap between bands. The power of eyeballing! I thought my estimating range was dead after not having played in so long.

The control panel with all the buttons has 3 wires running out of it. The first goes inside the tank, like an internal pressure sensor, the second will go into the pipe and tap that will be added to the wood plate you see and the third will go to some kind of power relay or other. I also want to make a bracket to hold the thing.

I have some plasticard H beam and some L stuff as well but no great ideas. Any suggestions?

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
That is a very nice ruin, very professional looking and remiscent of the 'Gothic Ruins' that GW produce (the ones out of 3rd ed). The door frame also looks rather good - I can see this being some kind of ruined shrine or something. You have done extrememely well with the detail on the foam as well.
Texturing before painting it would really bring the piece out, and for added appeal you should do the 'runes' one the inside (at least that's what I think they were) in a glowing red or something.
Can't wait to see what else you churn out, nor when it is fully painted.
Rep for you!

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Is that foam in particular firm but soft with the right pressure? Because I have something that looks SO similiar in the spare room, but its terrible to cut with a knife.
Did you use a hot wire to cut that? It looks real nice, especially the barrel with the control panel :) awesome.

Maybe place the H beans directly under it, just 2 of them to make it look slightly stable, and use the L beams on the 4 corners to hold it up, or do it without the H beams in the middle and instead have them length wise between the L beams for stability?

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for that, Exarch Thomo.

My inspiration for this piece comes from this horrendously talented german guy here

Translated version of http://www.fantasy-gelaende-modelle.de/40k/seite_2.htm

He has how-to's for many of his pieces and a whole modular board, at an angle, which I am totally gonna try when i have a place big enough.

The runes inside, in the third picture are Japanese. they say 'kudasai', which is please. On the rock underneath it says 'wa'. My friend Masaki thought it was funny... "Kudasai Wa" it's like gibberish talk. He's a bit weird anyway ;)

Maybe I can combine them into some Japanese/Chaos scribblins that look like they've been written in blood. Fresh blood, with a big splat down the bottom. Hmmm...

Hi omgitsduane

Should be the same but who knows. I can't read the Kanji on it to tell exactly what it's made from but i'd guess they'd be reasonably similar. It is a right pain in the jaxie to cut, as i've said but with a little patience, I managed some pretty smooth cuts just with a sharp Tamiya craft knife.

Thanks for the idea with the beams. I might try whacking something together after I make nachos with Wasabi flavoured Doritos! Bwahahaha!

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
Thanks for the idea with the beams. I might try whacking something together after I make nachos with Wasabi flavoured Doritos! Bwahahaha!
Oh dude thats crazy, did you really cut it with just a regular knife? I've tried cutting the stuff I have and it sort of goes flakey, but maybe I was just in a rush... Because I was in a rush.
Make sure you get more pics when you're finished with the barrel.

·
Senior Citizen
719 Posts
Great work so far, I've been thinking about doing some scenery like this myself for some time so this is very inspiring stuff for me.
The link to the German chaps site was very helpful, its amazing what can be made from bits of card and foam, plus some paint; not to mention a lot of patience and the foresight to think it all up in the first place!

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uppity-McDate

Hey all.

I've managed to get a little more work on my piece done and have some pic love for you all. The focus has been on adding more detail. The stone work around the edges and especially on the stone steps, done with a ball point pen.

On reflection, that is something to do BEFORE you start sticking debris and rocks down. We learn, don't we.

I've put in a few reinforced bars poking out of the smashed up plascrete, using 1.5mm Plastruct rod. I noticed that when you grip the rod diagonally with pliers, it leaves marks. Then you grip it the other way and you get an indented criss-cross pattern. Not too fiddly to do and it looks great. Unfortunately my cameras macro function begs to differ.

I added the inside part of a door frame and I plan to make a smashed remainder of door, hanging solemnly by one hinge with bits of timber littering the floor.

Here are the pics!

In this pic above, I was going for the pillar riddled by large machinegun fire, not unlike the final scene in 'Ghost in the Shell' where the giant crab-tank tries to perforate the major with triple barreled rotary cannon doomy death. Such an enduring image as the pillars are whittled away and the reo-bars give off sprays of blue sparks. Awesome.

It's much harder to do with foam and a pokey stick than it is to do it with two huge tank-mounted miniguns and some concrete pillars. Harrumph.

Two big holes from sniper/lascannon fire. The top left piece of reo-bar only goes a little down into the hole, where the rest has been blasted away, and continues down into the base of the pillar.

...which is much more visible here, as you can trace the funnel-like path where the round has blown a hole through the pillar. Mmm... 20mm anti-materiel rifles.

That's all for now. This week i'll get some more rubble onto it, and perhaps a bit of paint too.

Any ideas for things lying around on the ground? Bits of wood and broken tiles are fine, but i'd like something a bit unusual, a bit characterful. Go on... massage your brain-meats and let me know.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
This looks really good. I like the twisted rebar coming out of the columns. For some reason, rebar always makes 40k ruins look better to me.

I assume you're smart enough to know this, but when you go to paint this, I DO hope you will NOT use spraypaint, right? Otherwise, you'll ruin all your lovely work.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your comments, Canew.

Indeed I am a big boy and know that spray paint eats the bejesus out of foam. I may well mask off an area of the piece and give it a good spray, for that acid-eaten look, but I guess some superglue on a toothpick will do the job also.

You know I forget so easily how much I love this building things. I don't touch it for a week, constantly thinking 'I should get round to doing some more... must make time' but when I actually sit down to do it, it's wonderful. How do I forget so easily!?!?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Characterful, you ask?

Hmmm... Scrap plates welded together for barricades/fortifications. Spent shell casings littering a cover spot, with a large spot of blood on the wall (and matching puddle). Think a narrative. Something happened, what are the remains of that happening?

I like adding banners and pennants, some intact, with a couple bulled holes, others torn or burned. Gives the impression there was a great imperial city here once, but it assuredly has seen better days.

Mighty Vehicle trackmarks/footprints striding through, ignorant of debris and obstacle.

The Little PDF posters in cityfight help out immensely, too. Or the remains of an imperial recruitment poster. "For the Emperor: See horrifying blasphemous xenos, and kil them!"

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
looking good Miasma.
As for characterful additions I have a couple of ideas.

1. As an earlier poster suggested bullet casings etc littering the flor in some spots
2. Have the top half of a skeleton (or bottom half) protruding from some rubble
3. Leave a few ammo crates or gun racks lying around
4. Have a shattered statue lie across the floor
5. Use parts from a plastic guardsmen to do something similar to number 2

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
some progress...

It looks like it's been smothered in chocolate, I know.. Now you know what happens if you mix GW Scorched Brown, PVA and water.

I'm really pleased with the door. I pondered for some time over how I was going to do it and then thought "Plasticard = Door!" and made it in about 15 minutes. It does need rivets tho.

The plate on the front of the building is a bit killa kan but I think it fits the bill for welded on fortifications. I may even make another door, cut it into bits and add them as impromptu fortifications as well.

I've been busy lately with a big bunch of plastic I got from Bitkingdom.com Everything I ordered (mostly 'nids) was in the box AND on the invoice and it got from the US to Japan in 7 days. Awesome. Scraping the mould lines off 10 sprues of plastic, Not so Awesome.

I've also been working on 5 man squads of the eldar and tau I have as I want to have everything sorted so I can ambush one of my workmates and play a splendid demo game so they will want to play more. Plans... evil, sneaky plans.

On to the scenery pics!

and because I can....

My favourite ;)

Anyhoo, that's all for now.

Next on my list is a go at the support structure for the big riveted tank. Enjoy.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Thanks, Solid... i'm a bit of a perfectionist and am therefore slow. I sucks but i'm usually happy with what I end up with.

Well, plasticard can be found in many fine model shops. The kind that have tanks, planes, RC cars as well as model railway shops.

As for the foam, you may well be able to find it in big hardware stores or DIY places. You may even find offcuts in dumpsters in front of construction sites, especially new houses.
It comes in many colours. Pink, blue, orange and the like.

·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, this project has been languishing on my table next to the half-magnetised carnifex and eldar weapon platform. I've been lazy and the weather has been not so good for priming my minis. No.. i'm just lazy is all (goro-goro, ne)

Here are two steps. Brown paint over everything and then a bit of brown plus black in the shadowy parts and cracks.

Looks like it's made out of chocolate, no?

'Harmful if Swallowed' chocolate.

Then after some dark bits, which kinda look weird but i'm sure will work out okay.. plus a do0d for scale...

It needs a bit more dark work done and then i'll start lightening up the colours. I go on a weeks holidays on the 26th so i want to get it about finished by then. Then I can start on a few more buildings and finish the prometheum tank I started at the same time as this.

Since i've been magnetising my carnifex i've come across a few of the bits they use to make Gundam models posable and interchangable. I shall be investigating a few of them and see how I go. Magnets are good but sometimes it's not so dynamic as i'd like.

There will be photos... Oh yes!

As a sidenote... spakfilla is really hard to find here. The box of stuff I managed to get is some kind of powder filler but appears to be full of fibreglass fibres.. it's hardcore stuff for outdoor/roof/brickwall use and the powder is really, really fine so i am a bit wary of using it as I have no outside (ventilated) workspace.

Gaaah! I wish I could read Kanji sometimes!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts