Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is written from my point of view and meant to hear your point of view on this topic.

There is one game aspect in 40k that gets me a bit hot under the collar when it happens and that is what I call "Micro Measurements". So what is Micro Measurements? It happens when there is a millimeter (or less) difference in a measurement to have something happen and then it is debated for a stupid long time.

An example: I was at a doubles tournament and I had to deep strike my Helbrutes (Mayhem Pack Formation). One drifted close to an enemy model. Because the models are bulky, it is hard to get an exact measurement with the tape. It was damn close using the tape. My opponent who was usually a great guy, decided it was micro measurement time. After debating the tape measurement, we took a Plaguebearer model as his base is exactly one inch. If the base fit between the two models, there is no mishap. If it doesn't fit, it is a mishap. Easy right? My opponent took the Plaguebearer and fit it in with all three bases touching. I was shocked when my opponent called it a mishap anyway. Seemed clear to me; the base is one inch and it fit so the models are therefore not within 1 inch of one another. The reason my opponent gave me was shocking; since the bases touched it is too close to call and is therefore a mishap. Micro measuring. At this point we were about 10 minutes discussing this so my opponent suggested we roll off on it. I had two options: kill 5 more minutes rehashing this to a judge for a ruling or take the roll off which I knew wasn't event the right thing. I took the roll off to save time and lost. The result was my Helbrute was misplaced and effectively out of the game.

From my example above, we wasted over 10 minutes by arguing about a fraction of a millimeter. Does that seem right? The same goes for charge ranges, who is hit under a template or a blast template. All of these things can cause this scenario whereby people waste a bunch of time over a hairs width.

Don't get me wrong, there is a point in which measurements count. For me about an 8th of an inch or more is worth looking at. When I play, if it is close, you are in. I give my opponent the benefit of the doubt for templates in all cases. By giving your opponent the benefit of the doubt in all cases where it is close, you accomplish a few things: a) you speed up the game and b) there is less ill will between you and your opponent. If everyone did this, the game could be a bit more easy to play.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like it when it isn't really that close and someone tries to call it close. There really is some kind of judgement involved which is either a good or bad thing potentially. I think being reasonable is the best tool in playing 40k.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good evening

This has caused problems many times. I only play with a group of friends but there have still been many heated debates. I personnally like to play any game (from uno to 40K) by the rules - I feel if you are playing it, you should play it right. I know most people don't attually play games this way and play roughly to the rules - Many of my friends are like this.

With a few of them, we will disagree but come to a conclusion (after about 5 minutes - which could just be a role off). We then tend to get in touch later that day or week when one of us finally finds the evidence (even if it proves themselves wrong).
The funny part is that we almost never go a game where we don't find mistakes afterwards that could/would have massive impacted the game and often changed the result. We tend not to repeat those mistakes - just make new ones :)

However, I have also stopped playing with people because of massive disagreements when I wouldn't let them get away with something that was clearly wrong.
Like everyone who plays this game, I know I am sometimes wrong and sometimes right. However, like you - I think - the ones that really annoy me are the ones who try to do something when the rules are so clear. The example of this was years back when long fangs split their fire but both halves had to declare before either fired. One friend at the time, always tried to fire one half and then decide what the other half did. I would never let him as it massively impacts the game and this often let to him getting angry.
With other friends we have disagreed over measurements but tend to go on the prove it 100% wrong or it is allowed. therefore, the ones to close to call tend to go to the one doing the action. We also give advice to eachother as we play , friendly games, which can remove some problems before they happen.

A lot of this game is finding people who play in a simular way to you which is never easy - the biggest issue we find are friends who like to play competative lists against those who play fluff ones (both never truely understand each others approach)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
This is usually not a problem in our group. If there is a charge, we decide the distance before the roll,more easy that way. When we measure and the tape touts the base is to close. Still if it's something that will be bad for the game, like you're examples about the mishap, we often benefit the deep striker as it can destroy a game if a importat model is lost in turn two becouse 1/3 of a mm.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A little thing worth mentioning concerning arguing etc: In that last tournament, we had a guy rage quit over the rules in which it was determined later that he was wrong. Rager's opponent ran two Carnifex not in the same unit but about 2" apart. Rager thought he could assault a unit passed the Carnifexes by going in between them so long as he finished his move 1" away from the Carnifexes. Wrong news. But to rage quit from an event that you paid to play and without asking the judge for a ruling? Rager has issues. By the way, what is the plural form of Carnifex? Carifexes? Carnifexi? <the stuff that wracks my brain>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts