Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
***Due to Caulin being hugely, hugely, hugely lazy (not to mention influential, inteligent, powerful, and pleasant smelling), I shall add links to the top of this post every time I post something***

***Note 2: I've also decided to remove a load of the gumpf from this first post, and add all completed pics, so those of you who are first visiting (or just plain lazy) won't have to trawl through all 13+ pages of Kuffy and Chere's spam...***

*Post 1: WIP Meltatrooper: *link*

*Post 2: WIP Meltatrooper: *link*

*Post 3: Finished Meltatrooper (and WIP Tactical Marines): *link*

*Post 4: WIP Tactical Marines: *link*

*Post 5: WIP Tactical Marines: *link*

*Post 6: WIP Tactical Marines: *link*

*Post 7: Finished Tactical Squad: *link*

*Post 8: WIP Devastators, Veterans and Scouts: *link*

*Post 9: Finished Dreadnought, renovated Captain Taal, converted Apothecary: *link*

*Post 10 : Servo-Skull wound markers, converted Standard Bearer, converted Scout Sergeant, WIP Librarian: *link*

*Post 11: Finished Apothecary: *link*

*Post 12: Finished Servo-Skulls: *link*

*Post 13: WIP Standard Bearer feat. Karmoon: *link*

*Post 14: The Reveal... and WIP Standard Bearer: *link*

*Post 15: Finished Standard Bearer: *link*

Hello there brave LO'ers.

After literally several minutes of sustained chatting to Kuffy on MSN, our natural rivalry and one-up-man-ship came to the fore, and I find myself in an unenviable position.
I somehow found myself betting him that I could finish my 1,500 point Black Dragon army in time for the LO meet in the summer, and beat him while he builds 1,000 points of Scions of Ra.
If, somehow, I manage to do it, he has to buy me a pint and a meal at Bugman's. If he wins (and he probably will :( ) then the situation is reversed.

edit: Kuffy has now decided that it's much more interesting if we're both going for 1,500 point armies... How very sporting of him ;)

PICS SO FAR:

Captain Taal:

Servo-Skull Wound Markers:

Brother Zakalwe, 3rd Company Standard Bearer:

Venerable-Brother Ixion:

Tactical Squad:

And the full squad...:

Wish me luck guys...

-t.

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
That's quite an endeavor, Minus-T. If you do finish it by the alloted date, then I'll buy you a pint and a meal as well. Where do you live by the way?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wish you the best of luck painting that many models in that time. If you complete it and ever come out to the West Coast of Canada, I'll buy you some of our ironically bad Thai food.

Also, shouldn't the points costs be removed? Won't that upset a few people?

·
Registered
262 Posts
The marines that are posted are amazing awsome job and your list is also nice, cant wait to see some more.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Master of Sanctity said:
Also, shouldn't the points costs be removed? Won't that upset a few people?
Librarium Online Rules said:
Specifically concerning Army Lists, posters may include the point costs for full units, but may not include individual costs or stat lines for models, equipment or upgrades.
;)

Cheers guys, this morning I have decided I was probably insane, or at least more than willing to throw my money at dwarves…
Rabbit, I live in London, Ingerland. South London to be precise, which i often am. Anyway, If I ever end up in Texas (maybe through some kind of tornado-style occurance, in which I would have to kill witches and look after small dogs, lions, scarecrows and mechanical men), I'll be sure to let you kow :)

Anyway, starting as I meant to go on, my next model is coming on quite well, here are some WIPs. He doesn't look like much at the moment, but these guys do tend to come together at the last minute. The metallics and the stone on the base are finished, but everything else is in process.

I'm hoping to get him finished tonight, especially as I hear Kuffy is nearly finsihed with his first squad… *gulp*

Thoughts so far?

-t.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers bud, the torso on that guy is made from one of the standard torso fronts (the one with the X of cabling across it). I cut away the bottom two cables, and built up the area with GS to keep the clear difference between the chest plate and the lower section. Then, I built GS down to the belt buckle, to form the new look.
The 'chin' section was inspired by (stolen from) the Mk8 Errant armour, and I did it by cutting the 'collar' section from a SM back-torso section, before using some GS to blend it in to the rest of the torso.
**click me** for an unpainted pic without the meltagun (very easy to see the convertion work).

Obviously it's a bit wasteful, but if you've got some spare back-torsos, then I quite like it, and it definately adds a bit of variety.

Oh, I don't think I mentioned this yet, but at the moment, my plan is to have every single model in this army converted, at least to the extent of re-posing.
I also decided I'm going to make some 'rescue' markers, and a pair of objectives for use in **rules of engagement** missions.

Which is nice.
Anyway, I won't bother anyone again until I've finished that melta trooper!
-t.

·
DING
1,740 Posts
Ohhhh this thread is favouritied. (Is that even a word?)

You have an uphill battle ahead of you mate, but I believe you can do it. Never mind what that dwarf is doing, you can take him. Really looking forward to following this thread.

I do have a quick question about this projects forum though. Does this forum not take away from the blogging section of LO? I realise that you will get more views and therefore more help by posting on the boards. But if everyone posts these blog type topics on the boards won't it make the blog area even quieter? Just a concern I have. :ninja:

Looking forward to the next update -t. Actually I have a question. How did you do the rubble/stones on the base?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not gonna lie to ya -t...

you've definitely got your work cut out for you. The only suggestion I have to help speed you along and stick it to Kuffy is this. Assembly line. When converting, do 5 at a time, same with every other step. It's amazing just how much time is wasted re-blending a particular shade of paint, mixing GS, finding the bloody modeling knife that rolled under the table :D etc.

BTW: they look GREAT so far.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Why does everyone seem to gang up on me? Look, even the vertically challenged folk need some loving. :(

Nice thread there, Tom. And a good start, and I am impressed that all your marines will be converted whilst most of mine are straight out the box. Damned good mate, go you! :D Just a little bit of motivation. ;)

My thread will be up soon enough.

CC - I would say no. The blogs on LO are a lot more generic, they were not created specifically for the painting or creation of an army in mind. You are by all means welcome to use them, but this allows easier access and commenting on compared to the integrated system on LO.

KU

·
DING
1,740 Posts
CC - I would say no. The blogs on LO are a lot more generic, they were not created specifically for the painting or creation of an army in mind. You are by all means welcome to use them, but this allows easier access and commenting on compared to the integrated system on LO.

KU
Rigtho Kuffy. Just curious. And as for you getting some loving i'll add your thread to my favourites too just so I won't be accused of dwarfism. ;)

I might post up a thread to go along with my blog..........

·
Registered
524 Posts
I like those marines alot, and good luck on beating King Ulrik Flamebeard:tongue:

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn you Kuffy, now everyone knows my name!
Lucky I'm not a daemon, hey?
;)

ccm: The rocks on the base are made of cork board, which was torn and cut into shape, then superglued onto the base. Theres a decent article on BrushThralls about it, over *here*
They were then painted with a black undercoat, a heavy drybrush of shadow grey, then a drybrush of codex grey, fortress grey and bleached bone (in that order). Then I give it a heavy wash of watered down shadow grey, then a similar wash of chaos black.
Ta da! Easy huh?

Anyway, I promised I wasn't posting until I finished something, but unfortunately, due to very cold weather, I have not quite finished the melta trooper (the weather meant I haven't varnished him, btw). Once he is all varnished (tomorrow), he can have his base finished off. Anyway, here he is as he stands:

I think I may need to give him a few more highlights, they are a bit too dull compared to the other members of his squad, but I need some daylight to be able to tell really.

BTW, big thanks to Andusciasscus for the inspiration on the warning chevrons on the melta-cylinder-thingy.

Cheers guys :)

-t.

·
DING
1,740 Posts
ahhhh minus_t...........minus_tom, I get it. ;)

Thanks for the link mate, some of the best looking stones/rubble on a base i've ever seen. Very realistic.

Mini looks great, its just a pity all that great greenstuff work is hidden behind the meltagun! Still you know its there and thats what counts..........

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
You're not a Daemon? :(
Oh, and I who was getting my hopes up...
That's like if Kuffy would not be a dwarf... wait a minute...
Ah, I get it. You are not an eye only... Kuffy is not a Dwarf... Am I the only one with a proper selfportrait as an avatar on this forum?

I must say it is a very nice GS addition you've made, I really like how you tied the chest and the belt together - it looks really good, both with and without paint. And like CC said , that rubble is great. Another idea to stea..... get inspired by.

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update time!

Finally got the melta-guy varnished and based (and I did add a few extra highlights), here he is:

...and here he is amongst his fellow marines (who I think need rebasing):

Work has also started on the rest of the squad, all parts have been cleaned and prepped, and convertion work has started on various bits and pieces.
All of what is below is very WIP:

The most interesting bits are one set of legs, which I have been adding extra armour to (the bottom and top sections of the 'greave' will be GS'd to match the weight of the plasticard, just bear with me...), and two of the bolters, which I have changed magazine types (to a drum mag, and a straight mag, with a regular bolter shown for comparison):

So, that is progress, and here is the colourful text stuff! With very few changes!

+ Key:
+ Not Started
+ Purchased
+ Building in progress
+ Built
+ Painting in progress
+ Finished

+ Captain Taal + *click for pics*
+ Veteran Squad + On Hold (pending bits)
+ Dreadnought + *click for pics*
+ Drop Pod +
+ Advancing Tactical Squad + 'Command' finished (*pic*), work started on converting the 'regulars'.
+ Advancing Scout Squad + Have one box of plastic scouts.
+ Shooty Tactical Squad + Waiting for plastic devastators. Started on the Plasmagun.
+ Shooty Scout Squad I +
+ Shooty Scout Squad II +
+ Assault Squad + Have bits, need to start work.
+ Devastator Squad +

Stay tuned folks...
-t.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Why does Kuffy only have to do 1000pts....that seems unfair. Anyways, Im rooting for you, i have a problem with dwarves (namely them with their cannons, against my piddly little bows), So keep it up. When I did some black Templars, i learned that black is harder than it looks, so i know what your up against. I guess ill fravoritize this thread, so keep it coming!

·
things will change
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I should probably go back and edit that, because if you check Kuffy's blog you will see that he has decided to even things out and do 1,500 points as well...

I think to start of with it was money, but he seems to have decided (like me) that food, friends, and going out are almost completely irrelevant compared with GW...
:rolleyes:

-t.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts