Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a life of fantasy empire and imperial guard commanding i suddenly became owner of a marine army. Last sunday a young relative sold me 600 pts of painted Ultramarines for a few bucks. To round up their number i went to my parents home and searched dusty cellars until i found it! a long forgotten Starquest box with a lot of old plastic minis, ten of which were blue marines. Then my younger brother noticed and sold me 18 painted Space Wolves for a few bucks more. So now i have more than 40 marines of every kind and a dread, enough for 1000 pts or more, but they are from two different chapters.
What to do? Is there any rule against a joint force from different chapters? Can i use the SW as normal marines or must i follow their codex? Or could i say that they are a veteran squad of ultramarines and use the power axe ones as honour guards? I like the idea of adding a tough axe wielding maniac to my tac\dev.

·
Registered
53 Posts
fluff-wise, marine chapters sooperate quite often.

if you go too deep in the fluff, though, the ultramarines are the epitome of a codex chapter and the spacewolves are...well... not.

in most circumstances it will be fine. unless you are in a tournament, its just a matter of whether your opponent will allow it and pretty much anybody will.

and you could always just strip the pain off the chapter you like least and repaint.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hehe, I kind of faced the same dilemma with my mixed marines. I came up with two solutions (without owning/borrowing ALL of the Marine related Codex...this was what I came up with). No matter what though, I play em' as Vanilla Marines...

A. Marines are led by an Inquisition Force. This allows me to field my Callidus (since Wolves can't field em' no more, according to general consensus). An Inquisitor has the "authority" to comandeer marines and whatever to muster a force against chaos. I can see an Inquisitor rounding up the local marines and holding onto them gathering quite an eclectic blend of marines. This would follow the rules from Codex: Witch Hunters and I would field an Inquisitor as HQ.

B. Marines are led by a Rogue Trader... Yes, I believe these fellas are still around. Without reading any of the novels, and based on RT (1st Ed) fluff, I believe the Rogue Traders are allowed to commandeer Marines for his personal force. This often includes marines from different chapters as he explores new space and encounters new life and species (then orbitally bombards them to extinction), and conquers new worlds, etc. Here, I would probably field a Marine HQ, although it is possible that an Inquisitor might have been assigned to keep an eye on the Rogue Trader (his extracurricular activities with the Daemonettes do not lend well to his reputation!).

Just a few "fluff" thoughts for ya to chew on.

Fox

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.