Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone - new to the Tau. I normally run the Stormcrows Chapter of the Marines. I came into some Tau and decided to give them a try.

SO I've read some tactica and did some math and now I'll probably be posting a few questions and what not as I try to design the Red Snow cadre, as I think I'll name my white-black-red themed force. First up - Stealth Suits

I like markerlights for their ability to fetch seeker missiles and also it works well with ganging up to take out one enemy unit at a time. Therefore, here is my Stealth Suit idea;

Leader w/ML, TA and HW DC
Marker Drone

5 Suits with TA.

Everyone w/BC

So, the math puts this dangerously close to 300 points. I'm not shy about spending points on a single squad, as long as they can make them back. The devastator squads I use to run were about this much, and worth every penny. But I digress - the reasoning:

Markerlight and Marker Drone? At BS3, I do not trust the Drone to get it done. So the leader with TA has a better chance. In a perfect world, the drone hits giving everyone in my squad the +1 BS, then the leader and everyone else attacks at BS 5. If the Drone misses everyone else fires at BS 4 which isn't bad. BUT with the two possible markerlights the issue of seeker missiles comes up. Now I can have the Stealth Squad be anti-vehicle. The Drone and the Markerlight leader can tag a vehicle for 2 seekers. Or a MEQ squad for a seeker, and then boost the rest of the guys to BS5. Or simply hit them with 2 seekers and take the rest of the shots at BS4. I love options.

If that doesn't justify the expense I would drop the Drone before the TA. The Drone is too chancy and BS 3 stinks. I'd leave the Markerlight on the Leader since it would help if we were concentrating firepower on one target and coordinating our efforts to wipe out one unit - the +1BS would help the rest of the squad as well as the 2 FW squads I'd have bearing down on the same target. This brings the cost back to the 250 range. Without TA you're under 200 but then again, it's worth nothing if you can't hit the broad side of a barn.

Thoughts?

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
You might like to consider these options too.

1. General purpose squad:

4-man team, one Fusion Blaster
T-Ldr with ML, HWTL, TA, HWDC, 2 MDs, BK
Team with TA.
Cost: 247pts.

Smaller footprint, able to target two different units with MLs, all-round increased BS, anti-tank facilitated for when Outflanking.

2. Stealth Marker Team:

4-man team
T-Ldr with ML, HWTL, HWDC, 2 MDs, BK
Team with BSF.
Cost: 214pts

Specifically designated as a Markerlight supply squad with built-in defence (BCs in case of infiltrating enemy units)

3. Anti-tank unit:

6-man team
T-Ldr with HWTL, FB, TA, BK
Team has 1 FB, 5 TA.
Cost: 259pts

Potential of two vehicles being targeted by the FBs, or two possible x2 Toughness anti-character shots.

E.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
I don't think targeting arrays are ever necessary on stealth suits. I would rather boost their performance with markerlight hits than with the extra expense of TAs. MLs can be used anywhere, so if something goes FUBAR and your stealths have trouble (they do operate rather near to the enemy, after all), you will probably still have MLs to help you elsewhere in your list.

Keep in mind that weight of fire is the greatest asset that stealths bring to the table. BS3, BS4, ... a full squad is still gonna hit an awful lot and cause a lot of damage. By all means, boost with a ML hit or two and really tear into the enemy, but even at BS3, stealths are deadly.

So I would build units similar to eiglepulper's examples. I like the 3-4 model marker team quite a bit. Expensive, but fast/mobile and virtually indestructible and will give you a couple of ML hits each round. Worth it, IMHO.

Otherwise, go with a 5-6 model stealth team, no frills, for offensive action. Maybe consider a drone controller on the team leader and a gun drone or two (extra wounds, a couple of extra shots), or even go with a 3-4 model unit, drone controllers all around, and 1-2 gun drones on each model. Cheap way to get a lot of S5 hits in on the enemy.

·
Registered
437 Posts
if you dont mind spending poits then go with this

Shas'Vre DC w Marker Drone Bonding Knife
Shas'ui x5 w x2 FB (these two have Target Locks) 3xDC w 3 Marker Drones

329 points

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
@ Mirage:

If I may ask: why take a Shas'vre in the squad? He doesn't *really* give any great benefit above that of a standard Team Leader, nor can he take Special Issue stuff, so it could be seen as a bit of a misuse of those extra points. That's only MHO, of course.

As a general comment:

One small point with reference to taking a stack of MDs distributed throughout the squad. If the guy with the Drone Controller dies, so does the Drone. That's why I tend to like to keep the Drones all tied up with one model ie the T-Ldr.

An 'E.G.': In a 4-man team suffering 9 wounding hits, only one needs to be allocated to the T-Ldr. Ok, so the drones also have to make their saves but the other members of the team (who are having to make 6 saves) will not lose you any additional MDs if they die.

With my infallible dice of course the T-Ldr will be the only one to fail his save...!

E.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the responses!

@ number6 - in my experience, playing Marines and facing Tau, a BS3 vs BS4 makes ALL the difference. The multitude of shots means little if more than half of them miss. I do get your point that plenty of other things have MLs so maybe I should not stress out about getting them on the squad.

@ eiglepulper - I see the possibilities with those combinations but the takeaway I had from that was - if I want a Stealth Squad that kills armor, then don't rely on ML or MD, just give them FB. I will have something like 18 Stealth suits. Make two teams of 6 regular BC, and one with FB. Six FB shots would be *nasty*, specially with TA and for kicks, a MD. Mmmm..6 BS5 FB shots on Termies or a tank..yeah.. The only thing is that the closer range puts me too close to comfort for most things and makes the stealth field less useful. Then again, if I play it right I might be able to destroy a vehicle and then use the wreckage for cover.

@Mirage - okay..that's a *really* expensive unit, even for me. A six man unit of Stealthsuits w TA and FB comes in at 240 and, if infiltrated right, will kill any tank or take a chunk out of TEqs, or for that matter a Carnifex or anything else. I'm nearly tempted to take two units with FB. That would give me 12 shots - enough to actually wipe out the usually smaller TEq squads or cripple larger MEq squads as long as both squads are working together.

So..what do you guys think? You have 18 Stealthsuits. What would you do with them?

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
@ eiglepulper - I see the possibilities with those combinations but the takeaway I had from that was - if I want a Stealth Squad that kills armor, then don't rely on ML or MD, just give them FB. I will have something like 18 Stealth suits. Make two teams of 6 regular BC, and one with FB. Six FB shots would be *nasty*, specially with TA and for kicks, a MD. Mmmm..6 BS5 FB shots on Termies or a tank..yeah.. The only thing is that the closer range puts me too close to comfort for most things and makes the stealth field less useful. Then again, if I play it right I might be able to destroy a vehicle and then use the wreckage for cover.
You can't take 6 Fusion Blasters in one squad, I'm afraid. There is a specific limitation on their number.

So..what do you guys think? You have 18 Stealthsuits. What would you do with them?
Give each unit a specific task and equip them accordingly. Anti-tank with the 2 FBs, possibly adding in a Marker Drone if you're feeling reckless! Stealth Marker Team definitely, but go easy on spreading around the Drones; keep them to one or two controllers. Anti-Infantry outflank for taking out Devastators or similar units, using BCs.

Don't forget that JSJ manoeuvre. Your weapons effectively gain 6" range.

E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.