Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

How ya doin in this nice christmas day:D.

I have a question for ya. Or I should say, a plee for help.

I want to make Mortarion, death guard daemon primarch, as my daemon prince. But there's no way I can do that without some help, tips, advice, anything.
Here's a picture of what I had in mind.

do you guys have any tips for me? I don't plan on sculping the whole thing from greenstuf, but I don't mind doing it, if it's easier then converting a Chaos Space marine Deamon Prince.
Also, I want him to be a little larger then the daemon prince model. He was, after all, a Primarch, before he turned Daemon.

Everything is welcome:D

thnx,
Reno

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not exactly an expert, but you can create the illusion of a larger model by adding details such as wings, a cloak, enlarging the armour a bit, or a subtle repositioning. If you were to use a deamon prince, then this might be a way to go about making him bigger.

If it was me, I would perhaps avoid going to much into lots of 'nurgle' stuff. Like the example you've shown, a model doesn't need to be covered in boils, sores and need to be rotting to look 'nurglesque'. The impression I've got of Mortarion is of the chaos side to the dark angels. A reaper, like an angel of death, but one that is less 'substantial', a bit more hunched, and of course, with tattered robes and wings. You could crate a sense of menace and decay without a single boil!

I once saw a conversion of a nurgle deamon prince based upon the Nightbringer, with added wings and a scythe. That might be the way to go with this project!

I hope this helps.
Chad

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not very difficult to make pustules, sores or stuff like that. I plan to make some, but not many.

I saw a mortarion build out of nightbringer as well, it's on the internet, but I didn't like it.

I thought, if I use the deamon prince, and add a knee joint. Makes him stand up straight. add the wings, and I think he looks a lot taller.
However, I don't know how to use green stuf to make a cloak. Whenever I use greenstuf, it always sticks to the table. I have never been able to get a straight piece of greenstuf.

and, how do I make the respirator? and the cythe? and the most troubelsome, the left arm. he has a normal left arm, but the deamon prince has a mutated left arm.
Wings are no prob, I can get them from fantasy...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Fair enough, greenstuff isn't easy to use:p But don't forget that whenever you make something out of it you can always file it down when its dried.

For the respirator, you may just have to sculpt that. At least you'd have the model's face to use as a guidline, and greenstuff has plenty of working time. If it's drying too fast, than you can add a little water to it.

In terms of a cloak, it doesn't have to be a soid piece. Like in the picture you put up it could be made up of lots of strips of cloth. You could use a type of tissue paper soaked in glue or something...

For the left arm, I'm not sure. I'll have to go and meditate on that one.

For the scythe, there are a few models that have them. The Nightbringer for one, Typhus, the empire wizards (though that might be too small). A scythe may not be too hard to make. You could use plasticard and a peice of wire.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would go with the Deamon prince, and make him Straight. Have thought of that for a regular one, but finishing my first one before.

Working with GS isn't all that hard. You just need to keep some water near. I usually dip the piece of GS I'm making in water when I'm mixing it, and use household film to flatten it out.
Also, get some plastic brushes from any Art store. They are called Colour Shapeners, but are great for doing GS work. Use water or saliva every time you make something in the GS, and keep doing it. Couple of strokes or adjustments, water.

The Scythe might be doable from the Giant kit, with added Platicard. just a thought on that one.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Now, you've been given a fair few advice already not all of them should be listened to, mind you.
Mix GreenStuff with water in order to make it dry slower???!!!??? Please don't. It's like...gah, I don't know, mixing GS with gas to make your car go faster. Ie -it's a nono.

First, in order to make this project while having limited experience using GS takes a lot of planning and a lot of bits.

For the model you showed I'd use a DP for a basis. It's a nice model and it has a great potential when it comes to building other stuff.

For the wings you should use the ones from the Lord of Change. They are big and feathered.

For the Scythe -just use a piece of brass rod, then make the blade from plasticard and use gs to make it look fancy- in a daemonic way that is.

However, I don't know how to use green stuf to make a cloak. Whenever I use greenstuf, it always sticks to the table. I have never been able to get a straight piece of greenstuf.
Well, this is easy. Don't put your GS on the table;)
You know the plastic that the GS is wrapped in? The slightly oily/greasy kind -it's like made for GS not to stick to. The same goes for a lot of other flat stuff. I use papier-pallettes, they're fairly cheap and you can throw them away once they're to messy.
First you get a small, I repeat small...I emphasize SMALL piece of GS. then you make it into a shape roughly reminding of a flat thing. Then wet a small area of the papier (or whatever you decide to use) and apply the GS to it. Then you look around you, hopefully not in desperation nor in vain, for a round thing. I use the handle of my scalpel, it's might smooth yet..round.
Make it wet-ish ( I use saliva but really any water will work just as fine -I'm just lazy) and use it to roll the GS flat and to a thickness you like. The shape is not as important in this stage. Then once it's flat and thin -let it cure (yup cure, not dry -it's a chemical thing has nothing to do with water) for a while...say 15-20 minutes then use a scalpel to cut it into a shape you'd like. Gently pry it loose from the papier (you can use rubbergloves -like the customs have...ouch!, to avoid leaving any fingerprints on the GS) make sure to be careful.
Then apply it to where you want it and gently bend it into shape.
Then repeat, and repeat and repeat...
It is very important thet you don't get too carried away here and start cutting on the time it cures or get sloppy. Patience is the key.
Patience and wet tools.

how do I make the respirator?
The easy answer is "sculpt it" and the easy way is "find something that looks like the respirator you have in mind and glue it onto the model".
But it seems to me you intend to sculpt it, so then you should do like this.
First take a SMALL SMALL SMALL SMALL piece of GS and sculpt it into roughly the shape you want the respirator to have.
Second...go to bed.
Third wake up do your chores (School, work whatever) come back home and get your scalpel ready. Then you gently cut it into something that looks even more like you intended.
Fourth, get an even smaller piece of GS and cut it up into even tinyer micro-pieces and start applying them while sculpting them into shape using either the scalpel or a sculpting tool- you might even need to use a needle or something in order to get the details you want.
After just a long while you might have a resprator that pleases you:)

The Left arm is just to file and sand down into the shape you like, then use GS to make it all smooth and nice.

So, now you can just get started. If you have any more questions, just ask. I'll stop by and try to help.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
For the wings you should use the ones from the Lord of Change. They are big and feathered.
I've seen the warhammer 40k epic version of mortarion, it's on the internet. and he has bat like wings. Now, I don't know how big they are, but I was planning on using the wings from Vampire Counts Varghulf. what do you think?(I'm working on a better pic from mortarion)
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300344&prodId=prod1050081

The Left arm is just to file and sand down into the shape you like, then use GS to make it all smooth and nice.
uh, ok. sounds easy enough. but whaqt about the hand? he has huge long fingers, and I think Mortarion will need to hold his Manreaper with 2 hands... so, I have to sculpt a new hand? (looks around in despiration...:p)

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not sure about the vargulf. Those wings are basically bats wings, which means they are as much a limb as anything. i.e. they have some sort of claw on the end. I don't think this would work for Mortarion. Plus, they are a bit too small for a deamon prince based model. The wings from a Lord of change would be really good, but it does mean you have to buy a Lord of change. However, you might be able to find a site thats selling some second hand ones.

If you want bat like wings, then I think you can order dragon wings, and the Balrogs wings from games workshop.

For the scythe, I would go with what Andusciassus said.

I'm still not sure about the left arm. You could file it down, but filing down alloy can be very, very time consuming. You would either need a lot of patience or an industrial-graded file.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
If he is to hold his scythe with both hands, just use the DP-hand and gently bend the fingers, they are quite soft and as long as you are carefull there should be no problems.
As for the left arm -if you deem the filing to be timeconsuming, just use a bit of brassrod, build it up with GS to a general shape then wrap GS around it in stripes as I said before.

I am not to sure about the batwings. There are a pair of plastic dragonwings that are commonly used on the DP model and the Balrog wings are also mighty impressive, I fear the Varghulf wings would look quite small and silly. But then again it's just my personal oppinion, they might be just what you are looking for.

In projects like this, make sure to listen carefully to the advice you are being given but do not follow them blindly.
It is your model and it is only you who decide what it should look like.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for the left arm -if you deem the filing to be timeconsuming, just use a bit of brassrod, build it up with GS to a general shape then wrap GS around it in stripes as I said before.
how about the fingers then? I'm not sure if I can get it right, it's very small....

I am not to sure about the batwings. There are a pair of plastic dragonwings that are commonly used on the DP model and the Balrog wings are also mighty impressive, I fear the Varghulf wings would look quite small and silly. But then again it's just my personal oppinion, they might be just what you are looking for.
I've seen your work Andy, I trust your judgement;)

In projects like this, make sure to listen carefully to the advice you are being given but do not follow them blindly.
so, I should get:
- daemon prince
- lord of change wings
- plastic card
- (extra greenstuff)
- paper pallettes

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ah, that one looked rather good. It's about the right size and proportions, and could save you a lot of tricky work. All you'd need to do is make a few additions such as robes. A good find:) The one drawback might be that GW wouldn't allow you to use it in their stores though. But it depends wether that bothers you, and it is a good miniature to work from.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And they might even allow it. it's a cool conversion, right?(or it will be:p)

but, I will be playing foremost to my friends anyway, so I don't care. But now I have a spare daemon prince mode.....
hmmm.....

I know, I'll buy Shelob and turn him into a spider:D. Nice one for my Lash prince. Even though he has wings, the Spider thing can justify for the extra speed:Dl

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
It is indeed a great looking mini, but as I understood it you planned to cover him in GS. This might/should make the basemodel like invisible?
Then another question arises, is this a good model for what you originally intended or have you changed your plans?

I am most concerned about his legs which are a bit classic-demonic-looking and since his legs are the same...well that's a whole lot of job you've got there.
If you decide to use him and are going for a more Moriarton-ish look try to take them off just at the second knee-joint and lengthen the lower legs a little before adding new feet.

The wings are really good looking, especially since they are so big and have a nice spread.

Keep your ideas coming.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found a big picture of mortarion.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5432/mortarion.jpg

There. including his legs now.

I know what you mean, he'll be covered in GS allright. But, his head is mounted ON his shoulders, instead of on his chest. His wings are mounted lower, allthough I want feathered wings. But I might look past those feathers, cause it costs me extra money, and these look cool as well.

he is taller, while still musculair, and he has normal hands. He already has a scythe...
I can use the Daemon Prince legs if I want, as I won't be using those, I think

All I have to do is remodel the legs, and brighten the scythe up.instead of having to remodel the entire upper body.

allthough I admid, it's fun to sculpt the entire model like that. Makes it more.... MY model...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.